I've run a café for eleven years, and I've eaten roughly a million things standing up at the counter — a spoon of soup here, a corner of pastry there, never a real meal but somehow always eating. Twenty-six weeks ago I started paying attention to portions instead of pretending little bites don't count. This morning the scale read 198.4. First time since my son was a toddler that I've seen a 1 at the front. Down 34 pounds total. My old work jeans, the ones I kept in the office "just in case," actually zip without the lie-down-on-the-bed trick. What's helped most: I plate my tasting bite on a real saucer and sit down for it, and I stopped grazing while I close out the register. Still rough when the morning bake comes out warm and the whole shop smells like butter. Anyone else working around food all day? How do you handle the constant little tastes without it turning into a second breakfast?
The scale said 198 this morning and I just stood there
Hi, I'm brand new here, first week, so I hope it's okay to jump in. Congratulations — 198.4 after twenty-six weeks of actually counting the bites is huge.
Your café detail is the part that got me, because my version is the spoon over the sink. I'm still figuring out whether I'm supposed to sit down for every single thing or just log the standing bites honestly.
Can I ask — did you end up plating those counter bites, or did you keep eating them standing and just start counting them? I feel like the answer would tell me a lot about what actually works. Sorry if that's a silly question, still learning.
That stand-and-stare at 198.4 is such a specific feeling. The counter grazing was my trap too. I lost 50, regained 30, and what finally helped was a stupid-simple camera log: if I ate it standing, I took a photo. No judgment, just evidence. My “few bites” at the café were basically a second breakfast. What’s the one item you serve that’s hardest to portion? For
198.4 is a big deal, especially with café brain. I worked in a bakery for years and the standing-up calories were practically invisible. What finally helped me was a “mouthful log” — dry-erase marker by the register, one tally for every taste, spoon, crust, broken cookie. No judgment, just data. Three days showed me the “little bites” were easily 400–500 calories before lunch. Have you tried tracking the counter grazing separately from your real meals? That’s what made my plateau feel less mysterious and more fixable.
Standing at the counter is its own kind of grazing, and it is remarkably easy to miss. Congratulations on 198.4 — I hope you let yourself feel that. One thing that helped me was keeping a small plate and fork in the back and setting a five-minute timer to sit, even if the plate only held a few bites. It made the food feel like a meal instead of a series of invisible ones. Since you are tracking, what does your weekly average look like compared with today’s number? I find the weekly line tells the truth more gently than any single morning.
Congrats — 198.4 after 26 weeks in a café is no small thing. There was a thread here a while back about “invisible bites” at counters, and your post is basically the sequel. What helped me in a similar food-adjacent job was a sticky note by the till: every standing taste got a tally mark, no shame, just data. After a week I could see I was grazing a whole extra meal in fragments. The scale finally caught up to what the note already knew. What was the one counter bite that shocked you most once you started counting it?
The scrap-plate trick helped me more than counting: every taste at the counter goes on a saucer instead of straight into my mouth. Seeing six cubes of cheese and a couple spoons of soup piled up by 2pm was clarifying, and it kills the "doesn't count" thing because it's right there. Curious how you handled tasting while prepping — did you move to one deliberate spoon and then sit down, or cut the tastes entirely? Small bites never seem to register as satiety in the appetite trials I've read, they mostly just delay the next real meal.
198.4 is a milestone, but I’m curious about the non-scale stuff. For me, the first body signal that changed was how my apron tied — one morning it needed a tighter knot, and I hadn’t really noticed until then. Another was not feeling that shaky, wired hunger at 3pm after a shift. Maybe try picking one daily signal to check in with: ring fit, energy after close, or how your knees feel on the stairs. No pressure to answer, but has anything like that shifted for you yet?
I’m on a 9-week plateau myself, so I know that stare. The weird thing that helped me in my own food job was a 2pm “sit-down” alarm. Not a full meal — just 10 minutes on a milk crate in the back with whatever I actually wanted, on a plate, no apron. It cut the random counter tastes because I wasn’t half-saving them for “later.” Sharp question: which single thing is your autopilot bite — the soup spoon, a pastry corner, the foam off a latte? Pre-deciding that one might be easier than overhauling the whole shift.
Login to reply to this thread.
Login / Sign up