NCT04184622: 2539 enrolled, 72 weeks, no outcome numbers?

Sep 25 3603 views 44 posts

I keep going back to the NCT04184622 listing because it’s the one I can actually point to: 2539 participants, Week 0–72, placebo vs 5 mg, 10 mg, and 15 mg tirzepatide. But when I open the raw record I don’t see outcome numbers, just the design shell. Is that normal for this stage, or am I looking in the wrong tab? I’m not chasing a headline, I just want to understand how people here separate registry data from the experience threads.

2539 is the part that gets me. Huge for a 72-week design, yet the record still feels like a shell. Other 200-person listings look more fleshed out.

Registry records often lag. I wouldn’t read the empty outcomes tab as a scandal. Sometimes it’s just not posted yet.

Not a scandal, but it makes the 5 vs 10 vs 15 arms hard to compare outside the trial. That’s why I like reading experience threads.

👍 1

What would you even want posted first? Weight change, A1c, dropout rates? The raw record doesn’t break that out.

👍 1 ❤️ 1

I’d want dropouts first. 2539 enrolled sounds strong until you see how many stayed through Week 72.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

Same. The Week 0–72 window is long. Real-world posts seem to hit patterns way earlier than that.

👍 1

The 200-person studies are a different animal. NCT06897475 is recruiting in type 2 diabetes on stable semaglutide or tirzepatide, and NCT07382024 is not yet recruiting after AF ablation. Neither is going to answer the same 72-week weight question as NCT04184622. I think people see enrollment numbers and assume they’re interchangeable, but the design tells you what it can and can’t show. The 2539 number is impressive for the big trial, sure, but the endpoint and follow-up matter more than raw n to me. I’d still click a thread about endpoints over a raw count any day.

That’s my issue with the registry shell too. I don’t need a headline, I just want to know what endpoints were prespecified and when they’ll show up.

Maybe weird isn’t the word. ClinicalTrials listings are just slow. The forum fills the gap with n=1 reports.

👍 1

I get why people want the numbers, but I’d rather hear how the 5, 10, and 15 mg arms felt to people who stayed on them. The registry tells me design; threads tell me texture. Both are useful. The trick is no ttreating either as the whole picture.

Yeah, if it says "No Results Posted" that isn't you missing a tab — results only populate after the sponsor files them, and that clock starts at the primary completion date, not the start date. I keep four NCT numbers on a sticky note and check roughly every three months. Honestly the last-update field tells me more than the 2539 enrollment number does.

The lag is usually months to a couple years past completion, sometimes longer, and a 72-week trial across a ton of sites is slow to lock. What surprised me was how little the enrollment number told me about what I actually wanted to know, which was effect size and how many people finished. I had a mini version of this with a food log app that only "finalized" monthly and I refreshed it daily like an idiot. Now I write the week number on a fridge whiteboard, weigh the same morning weekly, and check registries quarterly instead of nightly. Way less crazy-making, and my own 30-week trend honestly teaches me more than any single posted number.

Small thing that tripped me up early: 2539 enrolled isn't 2539 analyzed. Dropouts happen, so the denominator you eventually see can be smaller, and a future number can look like it came out of nowhere. I got that wrong once with a local program that kept saying 400 participants when the results covered 288, and I felt dumb about it for weeks.

Honestly the registry shell behaves a lot like my scale: both are inputs, not a verdict. I track waist at the navel every Sunday morning plus how one specific pair of jeans fits, and I'm down about three inches over 30 weeks even during stretches where the scale didn't budge, which taught me not to wait on a lone number to decide something's working. On the registry side, the fields I actually watch are the primary completion date, whether it reads "no results posted" versus "results submitted," and whether the outcome list quietly changed between updates. Which field are you tracking?

I quit refreshing those tabs and just log my Sunday weight plus waist in a notes app.

👍 2

What helped me was a paper calendar, not the registry. I marked every Sunday weight and a monthly waist number, and after 24 weeks the scale was down 13 lbs but my waist was down 3.5 inches. The scale stalled for 7 weeks in there, yet my jeans went from snug to comfy, so I stopped needing a trial shell to tell me something was changing.

👍 1

I kept a 72-week-ish log just to see how messy real progress is, and the registry shell stopped bugging me. Weeks 0–12: down 8 lbs. Weeks 13–30: scale down only 1 lb, but waist down 2.5 inches and shirts fit better. Weeks 31–52: down 15 lbs after I added 8k steps and a 10pm phone cutoff. Week 53: up 3 lbs from a salty weekend and a terrible sleep stretch. By week 60 I was down 26 total, but the middle 18 weeks looked like nothing was happening. That’s why I don’t need outcome numbers to validate my own 4-week average.

My gym log saved me from a five-week pity spiral: same two lifts, reps crept from 8 to 12, scale didn’t move at all. I reminded myself strength gain is a real outcome too, even if no registry tab shows it. Now I check waist monthly and let the scale be one data point, not the judge.

👍 1

I stopped refreshing the registry and started screenshotting the 'Last Update Posted' date every Sunday. It changed three times while the Results tab stayed empty, which is maddening but not unusual. Over 14 months I measured waist at the navel monthly, and it dropped 4 cm during a six-week scale stall. So I trust tape over the registry's silence.

👍 1

My Sunday-night sleep is a better predictor than any registry tab. Under 6 hours and Monday's scale is up 1.5-2 lbs every single time, but my waist and ring fit don't budge. I started logging sleep and Monday weight instead; 10 weeks in, the pattern is stupid consistent. Registry numbers can wait.

👍 3 ❤️ 1

Registry tabs are basically Schrodinger's results: blank until you stop checking.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

I check the last update date, not the results tab. Less rage, same info.

👍 6 ❤️ 2

I started a one-line-a-day notebook in week 9 — waist at the navel, morning weight, and a 1-to-5 on how my jeans closed — and I'm at week 41 now, so 72 weeks stopped sounding abstract and started sounding like a marathon I'm barely a third through. Weird part: the scale only moved 13 lbs but my waist is down 4 inches, so the tape measure was telling a totally different story than the number I was obsessing over. I stopped treating the scale as the headline and started treating it as one column in a spreadsheet, which honestly made the whole waiting-for-numbers thing easier to sit with. If I'd only tracked weight I would've quit at week 20 convinced nothing was happening. Pants don't lie the way Monday mornings do.

👍 5 ❤️ 2

My weekends are the tell. Saturday dinner out plus Sunday brunch, and Monday morning I'm up 1.5 to 2 lbs every single time, then it's gone by Wednesday without me changing anything. Took me about three months to stop panicking over that bump. Now I just log it, circle it, and move on.

👍 5

Tbh I do this from hotel Wi-Fi while pretending to work: if the raw record is all design shell, check the “Results First Posted” line. If it’s blank, they haven’t submitted results yet—usually months after the trial wraps. On desktop the “Study Results” tab is clearer; mobile sometimes buries it under the three dots. I set a phone reminder for the estimated completion date + 90 days. Meanwhile my travel tracking is hotl breakfast protein, airport steps, and how puffy my rings are Monday. Sodium tells faster than fat does. What does your record show for “Results First Posted”—blank or a date?

👍 8

Yep, normal — ClinicalTrials.gov often shows the design shell for years. The results only get populated under a separate “Study Results” tab, and only after the sponsor posts them; until then it’s blank even if enrollment and dates are there. For this NCT, I’d also open the “More Information” tab and look for links to publications, then search the NCT number on PubMed. I’ve seen outcome tables show up in a journal or conference poster well before the record updates. If you want, I can post the exact filter I use to find only records with results.

👍 6 ❤️ 1

I feel this. Registry records can look like an empty apartment even when there’s a whole published paper elsewhere. I usually search the NCT number plus “72 weeks” or check the publications line. Are you after the weight-change table or the discontinuation/adverse-event piece? Different docs.

Cafe-owner tangent: my tracking is a grease-pencil tally on the walk-in door for every “just a bite” of a failed batch. Not pretty, but it shows me the pattern. Yours might be the 3pm pastry case, mine was the morning muffin tray. You’re not dumb for asking—this stuff is buried.

👍 7 ❤️ 1

If it helps, Hi, also brand new here (week one) and I went down that same rabbit hole. I think the record can look like a shell because ClinicalTrials.gov often only posts results after the study is completed and the sponsor submits them; the “Last Update Posted” date can change without results being added. What I do now is check the “Study Record Versions” link and the Results section header—if it says “No Results Posted,” that’s the actual status, not a tab I’m missing. Does anyone know if this one has a separate publication listed under More Information? Not chasing a headline either, just trying to learn how to read these records without spiraling.

👍 4

This may or may not be useful, One thing I do with registry records: copy the NCT number into PubMed and Google Scholar every few months. Sometimes the 72-week dta shows up in a conference abstract or journal supplement long before the registry’s Results tab updates. Also peek at the Study Documents tab — the protocol often lists the primary completion date and when they planned to unblind. Doesn’t give you numbers, but it tells you whether the silence is normal lag or something else. Data calm: registry lag is just noise with a timestamp.

👍 8 ❤️ 2

Hi, I’m brand new too — week one, so forgive the nervous small question. I got stuck on that same record and ended up using the “History of Changes” tab to see if a results section had ever been added, plus searching the NCT number with “publication” instead of trusting the raw page. On my phone the “Study Documents” area looked blank but loaded on desktop. Did you try the history tab yet? I’m not chasing a headline either; I just want to know where the numbers eventually land.

👍 7 ❤️ 3

I dispatch for a septic pumping company, so I’m on ClinicalTrials.gov constantly between calls. Don’t waste time on the Results tab. Go to “Results First Posted.” Blank means no registry numbers yet. The 72-week stuff typically hits the journal before the registry. Plug the NCT number or trial name into PubMed and you’ll find the real tables. Status matters too: “Active, not recruiting” = results aren’t required yet. What’s yours show under Results First Posted? If it’s empty, quit refreshing.

👍 6 ❤️ 2

Not the wrong tab, just the wrong artifact. I cross-ref NCT numbers to PMIDs now: registry shell → PubMed → journal supplement. For that one, the 72-week co-primary results live in the paper/supplement, not the landing page; the registry Results tab is a separate structured dump and often lags. If you’re hunting a specific outcome, is it co-primary or secondary? They’re in different tables, and the supplement is where the subgroup forest plots hide. I treat my own tracking the same way: raw export, separate summary tab, never trust the pretty landing page.

👍 4 ❤️ 4

Data nerd who lives on trend lines here. On ClinicalTrials.gov, if there’s no “Results” tab, there are no posted results — you’re not in the wrong place. I’d click “History of Changes” to see when it was last touched, then paste the NCT number into PubMed/Scholar and set an alert. Often the first real numbers show up as a conference abstract or journal paper before the registry updates. Also peek at “Study Documents” for the protocol/SAP if you want the pre-specified outcomes. What are you most curious about — the 72-week trend or dropout patterns?

👍 5 ❤️ 2

One thing I didn’t notice until I burned a study break on this: the “History of Changes” tab sometimes shows when the record was last updated and whether primary completion moved. If it says completed and results are still blank, that’s a sponsor delay, not you missing a tab. Also, some 72-week numbers pop up as conference posters or journal supplements before the registry fills in. I’m a dorm student, so my own tracking is a whiteboard of cheap-protein meals vs. vending machine regret. Did anyone ever find the actual 72-week data in a supplement, or is it still just the shell?

👍 8 ❤️ 2

the numbers, when they show up, are usually LS mean % change, not raw pounds, which messed with my little raid-log spreadsheet when i tried to compare my own weekly trend. did you open the protocol/SAP pdf? that’s where i finally saw the secondary outcomes spelled out, and it made the empty main table less confusing. still annoying tho.

👍 6

i’m not the cross-ref wizard, but i do treat ct.gov like a game wiki: grab the JSON on desktop and diff it every couple weeks. that record sat in design-shell mode for me too until i started logging ‘date checked’ + whether a results module existed in a lil spreadsheet, so i didn’t keep reopening the same tab and gaslighting myself. email alerts on the NCT are also kinda clutch; it pinged me when the record updated. also unrelated, cherry coke zero + lime is my current late-night queue soda. did you save the version you saw, or just bookmark the live page?

👍 5 ❤️ 1

One thing I do is flip from Results to the Outcome Measures tab, then check Primary Completion under the status section. Even with no numbers posted, the endpoints and time frames tell you what the trial was actually powered to show. If Primary Completion is >12 months past and it still says “No Results Posted,” that’s usually lag/enforcement, not proof the data don’t exist—often a journal supplement or EU CTR posts first. Are you seeing a completed primary completion date, or still “Active, not recruiting”? That changes whether it’s just registry lag.

👍 5 ❤️ 3

Hi, I’m only a week in and still figuring out where to click, so maybe I’m missing something obvious too. I noticed the record has a “Results” section near the bottom—if it says “No Results Posted,” that might just mean the numbers aren’t there yet, not that you’re on the wrong tab. I started keeping a plain note with the NCT number and any article links I stumble on, because I kept losing tabs. Is there a way to tel from the “Last Update Posted” date whether they’ve even started entering results, or does that date change for any little edit?

👍 5 ❤️ 1

I went down a similar rabbit hole, and what confused me at first is that the "Results" tab simply isn't there until it's there — sometimes months after the last visit, sometimes it ends up in a journal write-up instead and the tab stays bare. I stopped refreshing and started doing the same at home: a plain notebook with Sunday weigh-ins and a waist measurement, comparing monthly averages only. Week to week was pure noise for me. Are you trying to line it up against a specific comparison, or just sanity-checking that the design is sound?

👍 2

The results module is separate from the main record and won't render if “Results First Submitted” is blank. Last time I pulled it, that field was empty, so no hidden numbers—just not submitted yet. Also, 2539 is randomized, not analyzed; the per-arm Ns will be lower. I track my own weight as a 7-day rolling average because single readings wreck my trendline. Are you trying to compare the trial’s 72-week curve to your own, or just confirm the registry isn’t hiding anything?

👍 7

Not the cross-ref wizard either, but I’ve had luck with the “History of Changes” on the ct.gov record. If results were ever added or removed, it shows there with dates. Also paste the NCT number into PubMed — sometimes the journal article is out before the results tab gets populated. I’m a cafe owner who lives in spreadsheets for portion tracking, so I get wanting the real numbers. Does yours say “No Results Posted,” or just show a blank shell under Study Results? That’d tell you if it’s pending vs. wrong view.

👍 3 ❤️ 2

I do the PubMed sidestep: drop the NCT number in there and it usually points to the published primary paper—for that one, the 72-week results landed in NEJM before ct.gov filled in. Even then, “No Results Posted” can stick around for a while. If you’re comparing arms, the supplement usually has completion/discontinuation breakdowns too. My own tracking is boring: Sunday morning weight + waist, same scale, before coffee, because trial LS means don’t map onto my n=1. Which matters more to you—completer data or ITT?

I hit the same wall. Registry outcome measures are just the protocol's definitions—not numbers. For this trial, the 72-week primary results live in the NEJM write-up linked from the record's "More Information"/"Publications" area, plus supplement. If registry says "No Results Posted," that's usually a submission timing thing, not a secret. I now keep a little spreadsheet: registry for design, paper for effect sizes, supplement for analysis sets. Are you cross-checking the publication or only the raw record?