Trend line says 125 pounds gone and I believe it

Friday at 4:19 PM 1829 views 8 posts

Crossed the 125-pounds-gone mark this morning compared to where I started back in February 2025. That's 61 weeks of daily weigh-ins, same time every morning before coffee, logged in a spreadsheet like a total nerd.

This week was a perfect example of why I stopped trusting single days: I bounced up 1.8 lbs, then down 2.1, and my 7-day average barely moved. The trend line is the only number I actually read now. Also went from a 2XL to a medium, which tells the story better on the days the scale decides to be dramatic.

Noise is noise. Daily swings are just water, salt, and whatever my body feels like doing that morning.

Curious — how many of you have switched to a weekly average or trend line and stopped caring about the daily number? And does anyone else find the tape measure way calmer than the scale?

👍 7

Congrats — 125 down is huge. The 7-day average is the right move. I switched to a 10-day EMA in my spreadsheet and also plot a 30-day slope, because the daily noise is mostly sodium/carb/water stuff. Concrete example: a sushi-and-soy-sauce dinner plus bad sleep gave me a +2.4 lb blip that was gone by day 3. If you're nerdy about it, maybe also log waist and resting HR once a week; in the trials, weight trend plus a non-scale metric helps separate real fat loss from fluid shifts. Do you weigh same conditions after bathroom before coffee? That's the one thing that made my line less jagged.

👍 4

I’m a spreadsheet nerd too, but I added a second tab: Sunday waist measure, a photo from my usual walk, and one line about what I cooked that week. Seeing “made minestrone” next to a flat scale week keeps me sane. The daily number

👍 7 ❤️ 3

ngl congrats on 125! As a dorm rat whose “meal prep” is a microwave and a can of tuna, I feel this. My scale bounces like it’s auditioning for a trampoline team whenever dining hall stir-fry happens. I also use a 7-day average in a Google Sheet, plus a dumb column called “weird dinner?” — ramen night usually shows +1.5 lbs of water that vanishes by Wednesday. Do you log anything besides weight, like sodium or steps? And what formula do you use for the trend line? I

👍 1

Hi, I’m only on day 4, so I’m still in the “weigh, gasp, log, repeat” phase. 61 weeks of daily entries is seriously impressive. I’ve got a pair of last-summer jeans on the closet door as my non-scale check — did you add waist or hip measurements to your spreadsheet too, or just weight? I’m trying to decide if a monthly tape measure is helpful or just one more thing to obsess over. Thanks for posting this.

👍 4

125 pounds gone is massive — and the spreadsheet nerd detail made me smile. One thing that helped me: I added tiny habit columns next to my weight (sleep 7+ hours, 20-min walk, water). My trend line moves most after a few good-sleep days, not after “perfect” food days. Do you track any non-weight habits in the same sheet, or is it weight-only? And what’s the first non-scale win you noticed around this milestone — clothes, stairs, energy?

👍 5

One thing that made my spreadsheet more useful: I added a column for "likely cause" next to any day that deviates >1.5 lb from trend. After ~4 months the pattern was obvious — most spikes traced to sodium or a hard lifting session, not intake. Meant I stopped reacting to them entirely. Also started logging waist at the navel monthly; it kept dropping through a 6-week scale plateau, which was reassuring. Curious — what's your trendline slope now versus your first 10 weeks? Mine's flattened from ~2.1 to ~1.2 lb/wk and I'm trying to gauge how much of that is expected.

👍 2

The spreadsheet nerdery is valid. My road trick: I pack a flat travel scale and a square of stiff plastic so I’m not fighting plush hotel carpet, which can add a fake 1.5 lbs. Airport tile? TSA definitely side-eyed it once. I