Telehealth quoted $189/mo but labs add $240 — normal?

Sep 14 1734 views 10 posts

The part people forget about these telehealth medspa programs is that the compounded-option pricing is basically a shell game. Common surprise: one advertises $189/mo membership, but the intake quote bundles an $85 consult + $240 labs (cash price at an outside lab) + $35 shipping — with the pharmacy cost billed separately on top of all that. Another skips the membership entirely and charges $399/quarter for provider access instead. Worth knowing before comparing options: for anyone who's tracked actual 8–12 week totals, what's the hidden line item here? Does the lab draw location move the fee much? Not asking for sources, just trying to build a realistic budget before sitting through a consult.

Lab draw location mattered way more than I expected. Outside lab vs hospital outpatient was $0 vs $95, but the telehealth still billed a $20 requisition fee.

That $399/quaretr access fee would kill it for me.

👍 1

My local independent lab cash price for a basic panel was $112 last month. Add a $20 requisition fee and it’s still way under $240.

I thought that quarterly access fee was worse too, but my math flipped it. For six months: $189 x 6 + $240 labs + $35 shipping = $1,409 before pharmacy. Quarterly provider access was $1,197 over the same window.

👍 1 ❤️ 1

Your shipping line is optimistic. I was quoted $55 for cold chain in July versus $35 in winter.

👍 1 ❤️ 1

Was that requisition fee from the telehealth or the draw site?

Worth knowing before comparing options: does the six-month math assume the consult gets billed separate? Because if the consult credits toward month one instead, that gap shrinks.

👍 1

This is why I stopped comparing monthly sticker price. The real numbers are consult, membership, labs, shipping, and commitment length. I also budget for a follow-up around week 8 because that’s when my provider wanted updated labs; the outside lab was $74 cheaper than the bundled one. Over 12 weeks I was at $1,560, and $310 was lab logistics that never showed in the first quote. I also stopped trusting the first quote after seeing how much lab and shipping fees moved by region. If your state lets you use a separate draw site, that’s the biggest lever I found.

👍 1

My first 12 weeks ran $847 and only $560 of that was the meds — the rest was protein powder, electrolytes, and a fridge full of food I suddenly couldn't stand looking at, so honestly the $240 labs would've been my least annoying line item. Contrarian take: the monthly membership isn't the actual trap, the cancellation terms are, so ask both places what happens to your refill if you pause for a month, because that's where people get stuck paying to keep access they aren't using. One habit that saved me from panic: weigh weekly on the same morning instead of daily, since my water swings hit 3–4 lbs and had me convinced I'd stalled around week 6 when the 8-week waist check said otherwise.

👍 3 ❤️ 1