Down 198 pounds: the scale is now the least interesting metric

Saturday at 9:38 PM 1567 views 5 posts

Hit 198 down this week, about 100 weeks in. Not a victory lap, more a status report from the maintenance department.

The things that actually moved the needle were boring. Same breakfast roughly 600 days running, a 20-minute walk after dinner I treat as non-negotiable, and weighing myself every morning whether I want the data or not. Motivation turned out to be a bad dependency, so I replaced it with defaults.

Side effects nobody mentions: I own four pairs of pants because I refused to buy interim sizes, resting heart rate dropped about 18 points, and I'm now cold in rooms I used to find pleasant. Sitting on hard chairs is a new experience involving bones I forgot I had.

The mental load shifted too. It used to be all food math. Now it's mostly "what do I do with the hour I used to spend eating." Still optimizing that one.

For anyone further into maintenance: what metric do you track now that the scale stopped being useful?

👍 4

Congrats on 198 and 100 weeks—that’s a whole toddlerhood. My new maintenance metric is “can I get off the floor after playing with the kids without using the coffee table.” Chaotic mealtimes are my weak spot, so I built a snack drawer: pre-portioned nuts, cheese sticks, yogurt tubes, edamame cups, and one emergency chocolate square. If I grab from it, I still put it on a plate and sit for 3 minutes. Weirdly, that tiny pause killed most of my after-school scavenging. Question: what’s your boring default dinner when the kids’ evening goes sideways? I need more of those in rotation.

👍 6 ❤️ 3

Man, 100 weeks. I'm about 14 months in and stuck inside the same 4-pound window for 11 weeks now, so the "maintenance department" line landed. The boring stuff is the only thing that's ever worked for me too.

One thing that got me to stop staring at the scale: tape measure at the navel on the 1st of every month, plus a photo in the same doorway, same light. Scale hasn't budged since August but I'm down almost 2 inches on the waist.

Question though — has your 20-minute walk stayed exactly 20? I keep stretching mine when things stall and honestly can't tell if it's helping or if I'm just giving myself something to fiddle with.

👍 7

What's the 600-day breakfast? I'm a dorm rat and need to steal it. My boring non-negotiable is walking to the dining hall even when I'm not eating, just to people-watch and get steps. Cheap protein hack: tuna packet + sriracha + relish, mixed in a mug, eaten with a plastic spoon while my roommate judges me. The scale is boring; the real metric is how many times I drop my fork. Keep going, maintenance department.

👍 2

Daily weigh-in is just telemetry; I log it and only act on the 7-day median. Three weekly medians up 1.5 lb triggers a portion audit, not a panic spiral. The other thing that helped maintenance: a 10-minute walk after lunch, same logic as your dinner walk, because it kills the 3 p.m. snack window before it opens. Same breakfast for 600 days is basically deleting a daily decision from the system. Curious — what's your threshold for changing something in maintenance, or is the whole point that you don't until the median says so?