NCT04184622 at week 72: what did you wish you tracked?

Aug 19 4075 views 48 posts

I’ve been reading NCT04184622 — 2,539 people, placebo vs 5 mg, 10 mg, and 15 mg tirzepatide, Week 0 to Week 72. I’m around my own week 72 now and realized I tracked weight but almost nothing else. For those further along, what non-scale markers actually mattered? Waist, fasting glucose, A1c, resting heart rate, appetite scores? Not asking for dosing advice, just trying to build a better personal spreadsheet for the next stretch.

Waist and resting HR. Weight stalled but waist kept moving.

Resting HR is underrated. Mine dropped a few bpm by week 72 even in a month the scale didn’t move.

👍 1

Only logged weight. Wish I’d added fasting glucose and A1c.

A1c is useful, but a daily hunger score explains my stalls better. I use 1 to 5 before dinner.

The hunger score thing is smart. Did you start before or after week 72? Reconstructing mine is all vibes.

👍 1

Trial conditions are cleaner than real life. NCT04184622 ran 72 weeks under controlled everything, but kitchens still have holidays and missed workouts.

👍 1

True. I use the 5/10/15 mg arms as context, not a template. Real life has too many variables.

That trial context is why NCT06897475 interests me: 200 people with type 2 diabetes on stable semaglutide or tirzepatide. Labs vs scale will be interesting.

And NCT07382024 is only 200 people, not recruiting yet. Different endpoint, but makes me want to track palpitations too.

👍 2

I wish I’d tracked jeans size, not pounds—went down three sizes by week 60 while scale froze.

👍 2

I wish I’d logged sleep and stress, not just weight. My loss slowed for six weeks around week 40, and I blamed the meds. Turned out I was averaging 5.5 hours and work stress was fueling 9 p.m. cereal. When I bumped sleep to 7 and did a 10-minute walk afer dinner, the scale moved again. Numbers: waist down 5 inches by week 72, but sleep is the marker I’d track from day one.

Hot take: tracking everything made me obsessive; a monthly mirror photo and mood note was plenty.

I wish I’d tracked how often I said no to office birthday cake; that number is my real victory.

The one I'd redo is clothing fit. I bought the same style jeans one size down at week 20 and tried them on every Sunday morning, same time, no drama. Weirdly more motivating than the scale — dropped two sizes between week 24 and week 60 while the scale only moved about 19 lbs that stretch. Now I just note which notch on my belt I'm on.

Weigh yourself the morning after a salty dinner and you'll swear the whole thng quit working.

👍 1

Friday morning to Monday morning is my real tell. I logged it for three months out of curiosity and I'm up 2 to 3 lbs every single Monday, gone by Wednesday, always salt and Friday takeout and not enough water. Once I saw the pattern I stopped panicking on Mondays. Honestly the Saturday step count predicts my Monday number better than anything I ate.

👍 1

Honest fail: I tracked literally nothing until week 34, then found an old photo from a wedding and nearly fell over. What I'd do over is two things. First, one photo, same spot, same light, every 4 weeks — I have maybe six now and they show way more than any single weigh-in. Second, a performance number that has nothing to do with the scale: I walk the same 2.2 mile loop and I timed it for months. Went from stopping twice on the hill to not stopping at all, and that happened during a stretch where the scale sat flat for like 14 weeks. That flat stretch would've wrecked me mentally if the loop time wasn't written down somewhere. So my answer is photos plus one can-I-do-this-easier measure.

The thing I'd go back and track is one specific pair of jeans. Size 18 in week 4, size 12 by week 58, and here's the weird part: I stalled on the scale for eleven straight weeks in the middle of that and the jeans still kept geting easier to button. If the scale had been my only scoreboard I'd have quit around week 40.

I wish I'd written down how many flights of stairs I could do without stopping. Week 8 it was two and I was winded at the top; by week 55 it was nine and I was just fine. My resting heart rate barely budged the entire time, which surprised me, so stairs ended up being the honest scoreboard.

Nobody warns you your shoes loosen up before your jeans do. I dropped half a sandal size first, which felt like a glitch.

I tracked eleven different things for a month and it made me dread my own spreadsheet. What survived was boring: a photo the first Sunday of every month in the same doorway, a tape measure at the navel, and one line about how long I stayed full after dinner. Waist went 44 to 33 over roughly 70 weeks. Here's the part that surprised me, the fullness note moved first, from about two hours to six, and it always dipped a week or two before a real stall. The scale and the tape caught up later. If weight had been my only number I'd have spent those plateaus convinced I was doing something wrong.

The thing I missed was sleep. Around week 40 I stalled for three weeks, but I was sleeping 5.5 hours and stressed out. At week 52, after keeping 7 hours most nights, my waist dropped 1.5 inches while the scale barely moved. If I did it again, I'd log bedtime and stress weekly, because that pattern explained more than my daily weigh-ins.

I wish I'd tracked weekend sodium and restaurant meals. I'd lose 0.5 lb by Friday, then bounce 2-3 lb after takeout, and panic. Once I logged it, I saw it was water and usually gone by Wednesday. Now I note Friday-to-Monday meals and water, not just weekday morning weights.

I wish I'd logged mood, honestly. My patience imroved weeks before the scale cared.

Anyone else track the “travel tax”: airport steps, concourse walking pace, and how many times you stopped to catch your breath? That plus resting HR from my watch were my most honest non-scale wins. I never logged waist, but belt notch did the talking. Also wish I’d tracked protein-forward airport meals vs pretzel-only travel days from week 0. Did your resting HR move before the scale did?

👍 5 ❤️ 1

I wish I’d tracked waist-to-height ratio, not just waist. Same tape, monthly, morning. Mine went 0.58 to 0.51 while the scale only moved ~9%, and that matched clothes fit better. Also weekly resting HR: dropped 7 bpm early, then flattened before weight did. If I redid it: one Sunday spreadsheet, five columns max. Did anyone else find RHR or WHtR leading the scale?

👍 5 ❤️ 1

I wish I’d logged one performance benchmark, not just body metrics: same 2-mile loop, same shoes, Sunday morning, time + average HR. Weight did the usual plateau thing around week 50, but my loop time dropped 4 minutes and HR dropped ~8 bpm. That told me the system was still improving even when the scale wasn’t. Also monthly waist-to-height photo, same mirror/light, no extra dashboard. What benchmark do you wish you’d picked before week zero?

👍 5 ❤️ 1

I wish I’d tracked my ring size and how my knees felt after a walk. Weight came back first in my face/rings before the scale budged, and I only noticed because an old

👍 4 ❤️ 1

Systems brain: you tracked the lagging output. I wish I’d tracked leading inputs—days hitting protein, 7k steps, 2L water—plus one standardized monthly photo (same shorts, light, time). At week 72, my step streak predicted waist/RHR better than the scale did. Scale is a noisy dashboard; adherence is the control loop. Sharp follow-up: anyone track grip strength or a timed stair climb? That feels like the least gameable functional marker, unlike daily water-weight chaos.

👍 1

Honestly, Small-town pharmacy hack: I started getting my BP checked at the counter every 4–6 weeks (they’ll do it free here) and logged that plus waist at the belly button. My scale sat stuck for a month, but my waist was down 2 inches and my BP looked better. I also tracked how many flights of stairs I could do before puffing—sounds silly, but that improved way before the number did. Insurance app only cares about weight, so I kept my own little notebook. What marker would you trust more if the scale froze?

👍 5 ❤️ 3

i wish i'd tacked resting hr + how winded i got doing normal stuff, not just weight. my watch rhr dropped like 8 bpm before the scale moved, and i could game for 3 hrs without that 2pm soda-crash feeling. waist-to-height ratio was also way more honest than waist alone. did your appetite actually change, or did late-night boredom eating just get quieter? bc at week 72 i still can't tell which one it was for me.

👍 6

I wish I had logged a weekly average for resting heart rate and waist at the navel, measured the same morning each week. My weight bounced around, but those two trended down slowly and kept me from overreacting to a flat week. I also noted how often my usual jeans felt comfortable rather than tight. Did you track anything like that, or are you deciding what to carry forward now?

👍 7 ❤️ 1

I wish I’d tracked my waist-to-height ratio and a dumb little “two flights of stairs” test. Around my week 60, the scale was stuck for almost a month, but my waist was down 2.5 inches and I could carry groceries upstairs without stopping. That kept me way more sane than the number. I also took monthly photos in the same

👍 5 ❤️ 2

I wish I’d tracked my shoe size. Sounds silly, but my feet went down a half size and my winter boots started flopping. Also how long I could stand at the kitchen sink without my back yelling—went from 10 minutes to almost 45. If I did it over, I’d snap a monthly photo in the same doorway and jot a note on the calendar. Did anyone else notice feet or ring size changing?

👍 1

One thing I wish I’d tracked: how many evenings I could sit through a movie without grazing, and how often I woke up hungry. I logged it as a simple 0–3 score each night, then looked at weekly averages. It captured appetite and sleep in a way the scale couldn’t. Now further along, I also wish I’d noted weekly average sleep duration and nighttime wake-ups. Poor sleep weeks almost always preceded stalled scale weeks and louder food noise. Did anyone else find a non-scale signal that predicted their plateaus before the scale did?

👍 1

I wish I’d logged a monthly “capacity test”: stairs timed, grocery bags in one trip, grip strength. My scale stalled for 5 weeks while my stair time went 38→27 sec and bag count 3→6. That kept me sane. I also tracked cost per week and days on hand, because supply gaps made my sleep and HR look worse. Anyone else do a repeatable capacity test, or did you just rely on clothes fit?

👍 5 ❤️ 1

I went full spreadsheet nerd on ring circumference and sleep latency. Weirdly, my wedding ring got loose around week 38, before the scale caught up, and my time-to-sleep dropped from 42 to 19 minutes. Waist was noisy; ring + sleep trendlines were smoother. I also logged nights I woke up to pee—boring, but it tracked better than RHR for me. If I did it again I’d add morning ankle circumference, because my socks left marks for months and I wish I had the before/after. Did anyone track something that moved before weight?

👍 4 ❤️ 2

i wish i’d tracked sleep + late-night gaming sessions, not just weight. my weekly average would stall after 2am ranked binges, but looking back it was mostly salty delivery + dehydration, not “failure.” i also logged zero-sugar soda swaps and water refills — weeks i hit 3 refills/day, cravings were way quieter. did anyone else see sleep wreck their appetite score the next day?

👍 3 ❤️ 2

late-night gamer here. the one i wish i’d logged was sleep midpoint + how many times i woke up to pee. not glamorous, but my “i’m just gonna play one more match” window shrank a lot, and the nights i actually slept 7h felt wildly different from weight alone. also tracked soda swaps by carbonation: sparkling water vs diet vs none, and the none days were the only ones my appetite noise stayed quiet past midnight. did anyone else notice sleep timing moving before the scale did?

👍 8 ❤️ 3

Fellow road warrior here. The weird non-scale thing I wish I’d logged: how many airport terminal walks ended with me leaning on a charging station vs just breezing to the gate. Also marked a Sharpie line on my travel belt for plane-seat slack—dorky, but way more motivating than the scale some weeks. Did anyone track hotel stair flights or how early you had to leave for gates because you weren’t winded? Curious what travel-specific markers held up.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

I’m two years past goal and the one I wish I’d logged is a simple “stairs test”: how winded I felt after two flights, 1–5, once a week. My weight barely moved some months, but that number went from 5 to 1 and kept me sane. Also monthly front/side photos in the same light and shorts. The scale hid a lot. Sharp follow-up: did anyone track how often they ate out or ordered delivery? That was my real habit marker, way more than appetite. Curious if others saw that shift.

👍 6 ❤️ 1

Night shift here. I wish I’d tracked pain-free movement, not just weight. How many flights of stairs before my knees complained. How many times I could get off the floor without using a chair. 3am vending machine trips. My boots tying time. Weight dropped slow, but tying boots without holding my breath happened way earlier. Also waist-to-height ratio in same spot, not just waist. If I did week 72 again: monthly photo, same light, same clothes, plus a 6-minute walk pace. Anyone else log mobility stuff instead of just body numbers?

👍 3 ❤️ 2

Tbh i wish I’d logged satiety duration, not just appetite score. Same breakfast, then note when I first felt true hunger again. In the trials they capture appetite/energy intake, but day-to-day the “how long did fullness last” curve changed before my weight did. Also ring/shoe tightness—mine swings with sodium, carbs, and cycle, so it’s a messy but useful inflammation/water marker. Curious: did anyone track a standardized mixed-meal response (fullness at 30/60/120 min) and see it shift across the 72 weeks?

👍 7 ❤️ 2

I wish I’d logged my “kitchen wins”: how many dinners I actually cooked vs. ordered, and whether I ate them at the table. Also steps before 3pm, not just total—empty-nester afternoons became my danger zone. At week 72, the surprise was how much better I felt during weeks I’d cooked 4+ real dinners, even when the scale barely moved. Did anyone track late-afternoon energy? That’s the missing data I’d add.

👍 1 ❤️ 1

Night shift here. I wish I’d tracked ankle swelling. Same tape, same spot, Sunday before bed. My weight bounced 4 lbs after bad sleep and salty food, but ankles told me if it was water. Also logged hours slept after each shift, not just total. Recovery time after a bad night was the real tell. Anyone track grip strength? Curious if that moved before weight did.

👍 4

Not to week 72 yet, but if I started over I’d track ring size and shoe width. My wedding ring started spinning around week 30 and I never wrote down when; now I can’t tell if it was fat loss, water, or summer. I’d also keep a tiny note of every insurance prior-auth call and local pharmacy hold-up—boring, but it saved me when my plan changed. And a simple 1–5 morning sleep score. Anyone else wish they’d tracked how rested they felt, not just steps? That’s the one I’d add.

I wish I’d logged sleep latency and overnight wake-ups. My watch showed fewer 3 a.m. wakeups before my waist or labs budged, and that matched how I felt. Also: morning energy on a 1–5 scale, same time daily. Anyone else see sleep shift earlier than scale/labs? I keep wondering how much of my “week 72” feeling is actually sleep debt vs. the med.