Stuck at 203 for six weeks, then 199.4 this morning?

Aug 17 5557 views 55 posts

I’m 5 ft 8, started at 238 in January, down to 199.4 today. But here’s the weird part: I bounced between 203 and 205 for six straight weeks. Same 1800-ish calories, 10k steps, lifting three days a week, sleep 6.5 hrs. Last week I took a deload, ate more carbs on the weekend, and slept 8 hrs. Woke up 3.8 lbs lighter and stayed there. Labs from last month: A1c 5.4, fasting glucose 92. For people who’ve had a whoosh after a long plateau, what actually changed the week before? Trying to tell signal from water.

The deload plus sleep combo would be my guess. Every time I get eight hours for a week, the scale finally moves.

👍 1

Same. I stalled five weeks at 187, then dropped three pounds after two nights of real sleep.

Sodium? More carbs usually means more water, not less.

Carbs don’t automatically mean water retention if you were coming from a deficit and low glycogen. I peed constantly for two days after a refeed.

A1c 5.4 and fasting 92 aren’t really plateau clues. I’d look at a two-week average, not one morning.

That 203-205 range for six weeks would’ve broken me. Did your waist change, or just the scale?

👍 2 ❤️ 1

Waist matters. Mine dropped 1.5 inches during a scale plateau.

👍 1

I’m not buying the refeed alone. You changed sleep, training stress, and food. Too many variables.

👍 1

The whoosh is real though. I dropped four pounds after a deload week, then stayed flat another month. It wasn’t fat loss that day.

👍 1

I’ve logged daily weights for three years, and my biggest whooshes almost always follow a week of 7.5+ hours of sleep and more walking, not a specific macro change. The scale can hide fat loss under inflammation and glycogen water. Six weeks at 203-205 while lifting three times a week sounds like you were losing fat but retaining water from training stress. The deload let the water go. I’d track a seven-day average and waist, then compare the next four weeks. If the average keeps dropping, you found the pattern. If it stalls again, it might just be a normal water shift.

I’d also check sodium. My whoosh was a big pasta dinner and a lot of peeing.

👍 1

199.4 is a milestone. Congrats. Update in two weeks?

👍 2

I weigh daily but only judge by the 7-day average, and I tape my waist at the nael every Sunday — that combo saved my sanity during a 5-week stall last spring. Scale sat at 187 for 34 days while my waist went 36.5 to 35.25. Are you tracking a weekly average or just single mornings?

👍 1

Contrarian take: that 3.8 lb drop probably wasn't mostly fat, and the six-week stall probably wasn't a real stall either. Three lifting sessions a week at 6.5 hrs sleep is a lot of inflammation and cortisol floating around, and that shows up on the scale as water. I lived this — deloaded last spring, ate more carbs, slept 8, woke up 4 lbs lighter in six days. Freaked out, then ate a salty dinner and got 2 back by Wednesday. Nothing about 4 lbs in a week is fat math. Your sleep going from 6.5 to 8 is the interesting variable there, not the carbs.

Classic stall-then-sudden-drop. Your body was just holding onto the water it was hoarding while you were under-recovered.

👍 1

Curious what your lifts did during those six weeks. If your squat or rows went up while the scale froze at 203, you were losing fat and it was just masked by water and new muscle. I stalled six weeks at 210, added 25 lbs to my squat, and went down a pant size. Pick one gym number that only goes up and watch that instead.

@marathon_matt said: Pick one gym number that only goes up and watch that instead.

Solid advice — but here's the other number worth grabbing: get a tape measure out this week. Mine told the truth about five weeks before my scale did. From February to April I sat at 187-189 on the scale, absolutely flat, while my waist went from 43.5 to 41.25 and I dropped a belt notch. Same food, same three lifting days, same 10k. I only noticed because my jeans started sliding down while I was getting the mail and I got annoyed enough to dig out the tape. If your waist is down even half an inch across those six weeks, the scale was just sitting on work you already did, and this week's number is it catching up. If the tape is flat too, that's a different story and worth changing something — but check before you touch your calories.

👍 1

Six weeks of "1800-ish" can easily be 2100 with nobody lying to themselves. When I finally weighed and logged for two weeks instead of eyeballing, the gap was cooking oil and the handfuls I ate while packing my kid's lunch — 200-250 a day, completely invisible to me. The annoying part: my weekdays were genuinely fine, and one Saturday undid the whole week, easily 1500 over betwen brunch and a couple beers. So my weekly average looked reasonable while nothing moved on the scale. Try five straight days of weighing everything, including the bites that don't feel like meals, and see where your 1800 actually lands. If it comes back at a real 1800, food isn't the issue and you look elsewhere — but it's the cheap thing to rule out first.

Before you write off those six weeks, grab a shirt or pair of jeans that was snug in January. My scale sat at 191-193 for five weeks while I went from a tight 36 to a comfortable 34. I'd have sworn nothing was happening.

The 1800 that worked at 238 isn't the same 1800 that works at 199. I tracked mine and maintenance slid from about 2550 at 240 to roughly 2300 at 200, same routine, same steps. Losing 20 lbs dropped me around 200 calories of daily burn, which quietly ate most of my deficit. My 10k also burns less than it did, since moving a lighter body the same distance costs less, so my deficit shrank from both ends without me doing anything wrong. If those six weeks were truly flat, that's usually the signal 1800 has crept up close to maintenance for you. The deload and extra sleep may have tipped you over the edge, but it might also just be time to recheck your numbers at your current weight instead of your January weight.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

The deload-plus-carbs whoosh is real; I dropped 4 lbs after two rest days, then stayed flat.

👍 1

Six weeks stuck then 3.8 down smels like water and inflammation finally dumping, not fat suddenly.

👍 3 ❤️ 1

My scale only moves after two low-stress 8-hour nights; 6.5 hours keeps me bloated and up 2 lbs.

👍 3

I broke my stall by adding 20g protein breakfast; five weeks flat, then 2 lbs down.

👍 3 ❤️ 1

honestly did your waist or neck change during those six weeks? i had a 5-week scale freeze at 187 but my waist dropped 1.25 in and my lifting belt got looser. scale finally caught up after a deload. if your lifts went up or measurements went down, you were still losing fat even while 203-205. now i track weekly avg plus waist at navel every sunday. what were your main lift numbers doing during the stall?

👍 6 ❤️ 2

Did your waist change during those six flat weeks? I had a similar stretch where the scale sat at 187 for five weeks, but my navel measure dropped about 1.5 cm and my lifts went up. Once I started plotting a 7-day rolling average instead of daily weigh-ins, the “stall” was actually a slow downtrend hidden by big day-to-day swings. In the trials, scale weight often lags tape/strength changes, especially with lifting. If your waist didn’t move either, that’s a sharper signal to look at weekly intake vs. expenditure. What did the tape say?

👍 3 ❤️ 1

That drop after a deload makes sense. I’d be curious what your 7-day rolling average did during those six weeks; sometimes the daily scale is flat while the weekly average is quietly down 0.2–0.3 lb. A concrete thing that helped me was noting sodium, muscle soreness, and any heavy lifting the day before weighing, since those can mask 2–3 lb for several days. Did your gym numbers or recovery change during the plateau, or was that also flat? Either way, seeing 199.4 must feel validating.

👍 5

Congrats on breaking into Onederland! New angle: did those six weeks line up with more hotel/airport food than usual? Same 1800-ish calories, but restaurant sodium can park water on me like checked luggage. I had a 4-week road stretch where the scale didn’t budge, then two days of home-cooked meals and extra hotel-room tea dropped 3 lbs overnight. Not saying it’s all water, but if your rings or socks felt tighter during the freeze, that’s my first suspect. Did travel pick up around week 3, or was it a normal schedule?

👍 3

I’d bet your six-week “stall” wasn’t a true fat stall. I run a 7-day rolling average and a 10-day EMA in my sheet; during my last flat stretch the daily lows were identical but the weekly average was still down 0.2 lb/wk. Then a deload weekend dropped 2.6 lbs of scale water in 48 hrs. More carbs + better sleep can

👍 7 ❤️ 1

curious what your tape measure did during the 203–205 stretch. I had a seven-week scale plateau last summer, but my waist went from 36.5 to 35.25 and my belt notch moved twice. If your lifts are climbing and waist is shrinking, that’s a recomp pattern—the scale just lags. If waist and strength were flat too, then I’d look at whether weekend sodium/alcohol/travel was masking things. What were your waist and key lift numbers before vs after those six weeks?

👍 7

Hi, brand-new member here (week one, so please forgive the small question). This is really encouraging to read. Did your waist or how your jeans fit change during those six weeks, even while the scale sat still? I’m trying to set up my own tracking and keep hearing that lifting can hide fat loss. Also, did your gym numbers go up during those six weeks—more reps or weight? If so, I’d be curious. Sorry if that’s obvious, just trying to learn from everyone.

👍 6 ❤️ 1

congrats on onederland! random q: were you still doing late-night soda/carbonated stuff during the six-week stall? i track resting HR and mine drops like 2-3 bpm the night before a weird woosh, especially after a higher-carb weekend + real sleep. if your RHR dipped too, that’s a fun clue. also did your sodium/caffeine timing change that week or just sleep? asking because my late-night gamer sodas are the #1 thing that keeps my morning scale sticky.

👍 6

Tbh Any change in your resting HR or HRV on your watch last week? Mine always dips 3–5 bpm after a deload, and I get a 2–4 lb whoosh without changing calories. In the trials, sleep restriction tends to raise cortisol/appetite and water retention, so one 8-hr night isn’t 3.8 lb of fat—it’s more likely glycogen/inflammation water clearing. Did your lifting numbers keep climbing during the 203–205 stretch? If you were adding reps at the same bodyweight, that plateau might’ve been recomp masking the scale.

👍 1

Honestly, Congrats on onederland! Our little pharmacy is the town gossip hub, and the pharmacist there always says bodies aren’t vending machines—but I know that doesn’t help when you’re stuck staring at 203. One weird thing that broke my own long stall was swapping my flat after-dinner walk for a route with two decent hills. Same time, same 20 minutes, just different effort. Curious: did your lifting numbers keep creeping up during those six flat weeks, or were those stuck too? If your gym strength was climbing while the scale sat still, I’d bet your body was remodeling before it finally let go.

👍 8 ❤️ 2

Spreadsheet person here: that 3.8 whoosh 48–72h after a deload + 8h sleep is classic water/glycogen drop, not six weeks of fat suddenly leaving. My trendline does this every 5–7 weeks; the daily scale is noise, the 7-day average is signal. I’d check sodium/carb load Thu–Sat too—mine

👍 4

that six-week flat then sudden drop is so real. I had one that broke after a deload plus two carbier days, and I swear it was inflammation/water from lifting. Something new to check: were you weighing at the same time and same spot? I moved my scale off the bathroom rug onto tile and found out I’d been trusting a 1.5-lb lie. Also, did your resting heart rate or sleep score shift during the stall? Mine was up a few beats, then dropped right before the scale moved. My little pharmacy has an old beam scale I check once a month—keeps me sane. Hope it keeps moving.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

Tbh Curious whether your waking resting heart rate shifted during those six weeks? Mine sat about 4 bpm higher while I was stuck, then dropped when I finally strung together 8-hour nights, and the scale followed two days later. I’m in the empty-nester restart too—new walks, cooking real dinners—and tracking morning HR before coffee has become my check on whether it’s a true plateau or just accumulated fatigue. Did your deload mostly lower gym soreness, or did the extra sleep feel like the bigger reset?

👍 6

I’ve been maintaining for a while, and those 6-week flats are almost always water/stress/glycogen noise for me. The deload + extra carbs + 8 hrs sleep combo is a classic whoosh trigger. One concrete thing I track: my lifting log. If my top sets/reps were still creeping up during 203–205, I don’t sweat the scale—it usually drops after a lighter week. Sharp q: were your working weights/reps trending up, flat, or down during those six weeks? That tells you more than the morning number.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

fellow late-night gamer here. the thing that kept me sane during a six-week scale flat was measuring my waist + thighs with a tape every sunday. scale said 204 forever, but waist dropped ~1.2 inches and my lifting belt notch moved. then the scale caught up randomly. did you track any non-scale stuff during the 203-205 stretch, or just weight? also were your main lfts still adding reps/weight? if yes, that flat might’ve been recomp masking fat loss, not a real stall. either way 199.4 is awesome, congrats.

👍 6

Did your waist or how your jeans fit change at all during that flat stretch? That’s the thing I wish I’d tracked earlier. I had a 5–6 week stall where the scale didn’t move, but my belt went in a notch and my lifts crept up. Then it finally dropped. Now I take a weekly waist measurement at the navel and use a 7-day averge instead of daily weights. If your waist was shrinking while the scale was stuck, you were still losing; if your waist was stuck too, then it’s probably worth looking at weekend creep or portion drift. Either way, congrats on breaking 200—that’s huge.

👍 3

Those stubborn six-week flats really do break after a deload and sleep. So happy for you!

👍 5 ❤️ 3

Fellow empty-nester restart here. The clue for me was the tape measure, not the scale. During a five-week flat, my waist at the navel dropped 1.25 inches and my row/squat reps crept up, then the scale finally moved after a couple of 8-hour nights. Did your lifts keep progressing during those six weeks, or did everything feel stalled? If your gym numbers were still climbing, you were changing even when 203 wouldn’t budge. I now take a Sunday morning waist measurement before coffee—it kept me sane when the scale was stubborn.

👍 5 ❤️ 2

Tbh congratulations on breaking into the 190s. That pattern often shows up in my weekly averages too: the scale can stall while the waist and strength quietly improve. Did your waist measurement or how your clothes fit change during those six weeks? I started logging a Monday waist measurement alongside my weekly average, and it kept me sane through a similar flat spell. Sometimes the drop is just the scale catching up to fat loss that was already happening. Wishing you a calm, steady week ahead.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

single-morning weights are garbage for trend. A 3.8-lb drop is roughly 1.7 L of water, not fat—overnight fat loss doesn’t happen at that scale. The useful question: what’s your 7-day rolling average now vs. the 203–205 window? If it’s still 202+, you got a whoosh, not a plateau break. If it’s sitting 199–200 for 10+ days, that’s your new baseline. I track that and only adjust intake after two weeks of a confirmed move.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

deload + carbs + sleep is my magic combo too—flat then whoosh. Did your RHR drop those weeks?

👍 3

Nice—breaking 200 after a six-week stall is huge. Quick q: did your lifts actually climb during those flat weeks? Mine did last plateau: squat went from 135 to 155 for reps and my waist dropped abot 0.75" while the scale sat at 201–203. I started tracking waist/neck and monthly photos, and the tape moved way before the scale did. My rings were looser by week four too. If your strength held or improved, that flat stretch might’ve been recomp hiding fat loss. What did your tape measure say during those six weeks?

👍 2

Deload + carbs + real sleep is my holy trinity for a whoosh, swear.

👍 5 ❤️ 2

Congrats on breaking 200! One small-town trick: our pharmacy has a big certified scale by the waiting area, so I check my home one against it once a month. Turned out mine read 2 lbs heavy on a low battery and on the bath mat. Now I zero it with a dumbbell, same tile, same time. Also, I track a 7-day average instead of daily—six-week flats look way less scary that way. Did your flat stretch line up with any sodium jump or new workout soreness? Just curious.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

Congrats on breaking 200. What jumped out for me: during my last 6-week flat, the scale didn’t move but my waist was down 1.25" and my top squat set went up 10 lbs. That told me it was recomposition/water masking, not a true fat stall. Do you have tape measurements or progress pics from week 1 vs week 6 of the flat? If your waist/hips dropped while scale held, the whoosh is just the scale catching up. Also, were your lifts still progressing before the deload? If yes, I’d trust the trend over the daily number.

👍 3

Hi, I’m brand new here and only a week in, so this is really encouraging—congrats on breaking into the 190s! Quick tracking question: do you weigh daily and use a weekly average, or just compare random mornings? I’ve been stepping on the scale every day and totally overthinking every 0.5 lb. Also, when you say 1800-ish, are you weighing/measuring most things or eyeballing? I’m trying to figure out how precise I need to be without driving myself nuts. Sorry if these are silly beginner questions!

👍 1 ❤️ 1

Hi! I’m brand new here, only week one, so sorry if this is a silly question—but during those six weeks at 203, did your waist measurement or how your jeans fit change at all? I’m trying to learn what to track besides the scale. And did your lifts keep going up while the number was flat? If strength was climbing, maybe your body was changing underneath. Congrats on breaking 200, that’s amazing!

👍 2 ❤️ 1

Deload + real sleep is the magic reset; my six-week flat broke the exact same way. Enjoy it!

👍 3 ❤️ 1

same here—rest week + sleep and the scale finally let go. Wild.

👍 3

late night gamer here too. i do the soda swap thing (sparkling water + mio). quick q: during those 6 flat weeks, were your lifts actually going up? i had a similar stall where my squat and bench kept climbing but scale didn't move for like 5 weeks. then i took a rest week, peed for two days straight, dropped 4lbs. pretty sure it was muscle glycogen/water from training hard. if your lifts stalled too, maybe it's just a whoosh waiting. if they went up, that's recomp. either way grats on breaking 200.

👍 3 ❤️ 1