Scale showed a number starting with 14 for the first time since 2019

Friday at 10:32 AM 1881 views 16 posts

I stepped on this morning, half-asleep, and actually stepped off and back on because I didn't believe it. 147.8. I've been at this since mid-March, so about 14 weeks, and the last month the scale basically did not move at all. That stretch had me grumpy and second-guessing everything.

What changed wasn't dramatic. I started eating an actual breakfast (eggs plus cottage cheese, roughly 30g protein) instead of coffee-and-nothing until noon, and I stopped skipping my evening walk even when it's only 20 minutes. My size 10 jeans are loose enough that I can tug them off without unbuttoning, and honestly that thrill beats the number.

Small win, but I'm taking it. For those of you who came out the other side of a long stall, what finally nudged things along? I keep wondering whether it was the protein timing or just patience doing its slow thing.

👍 6

The month-long stall then a sudden drop is a classic whoosh: fat loss was likely happening, but water retention kept the scale flat until it didn’t. Breakfast probably helped by shifting your total intake/evening grazing, not by magic. Concrete data I’d add: weekly average weight and waist circumference. Daily numbers are noise. What did breakfast replace—skipping it and then snacking later, or a smaller lunch? That gap is usually where the deficit reopens. Congrats on 147.8; 14x is a real milestone.

👍 4

Stalls are usually not metabolic; they're data artifacts plus cumulative deficit shrinking. If breakfast is the lever, what's

👍 2 ❤️ 2

Welcome to the 140s! That flat month is so demoralizing, and then a whoosh feels almost suspicious. I run a cafe, so my biggest stall culprit was “just a bite” quality control — broken cookie halves, a spoon of frosting, tasting a new batch. I started putting every taste on a tiny plate and actually counting it, plus eating breakfast before I unlock the door (usually Greek yogurt + berries or eggs) so I wasn’t ravenous around the pastry case at 10am. What’s your actual breakfast looking like? I’m curious if it’s protein-forward, because that’s what finally helped me stop grazing.

👍 7 ❤️ 1

The breakfast detail is the interesting part — what's in it? Protein-forward mornings tend to blunt the compensatory snacking later, so if you'd been running a de facto fast until noon, that shift alone can move appetite regulation. I ask because my own five-week plateau broke when I weighed portions for three days straight: my eyeballed "serving" of nut butter was nearly double. Worth confirming the breakfast didn't simply add on top of the old total rather than displacing something.

👍 6 ❤️ 1

Congrats on the 14! I run a cafe and the stall months are the worst because I'm surrounded by pastries and "just a bite" tastes. What finally helped me was keeping a dedicated lunch container in the back and eating it away from the counter — otherwise I'd graze all shift and swear I'd barely eaten. Did you notice anything besides the scale during that flat month, lke rings or jeans fitting differently? I wish I'd tracked that sooner because it kept me from quitting when the number froze.

👍 6 ❤️ 2

That month-long flat stretch is the worst — it punishes you right when you're actually doing everything right. What's in the breakfast? If you went from coffee-only to 30–40g of protein in the morning, that alone tends to kill the 10am snack spiral and makes the rest of the day way easier to land.

When I broke a 5-week stall, the unlock was boring: same weekly calories, but a bigger meal after lifting and lighter on rest days, plus a 10-minute walk after dinner. Scale started moving within two weeks. Also, 147.8 fasted vs. 150 after a salty dinner is just water — don't let one number run your whole mood.

👍 4

Eating actual breakfast has been my weirdest game-changer too—empty nest, so I’d just do coffee and then graze all afternoon. I started making two eggs and a slice of whole-grain toast, or Greek yogurt with frozen berries, then a 20-minute walk before I let myself sit down with email. The 3 p.m. snacky feeling mostly vanished, and I noticed I actually cook

👍 5 ❤️ 1

Breakfast was my accidental game-changer too. I was running on coffee and vibes until 2pm, then demolishing whatever the dining hall had. Now I do Greek yogurt + frozen berries + a scoop of PB powder in a reused takeout container. It’s cheap, no kitchen required, and weirdly keeps me from becoming a hangry raccoon by dinner. What did you switch to? I’m always hunting dorm-friendly protein ideas that don’t require waking up before my 8am lecture.

👍 6 ❤️ 2

congrats—that first 14-something in years is a big deal. The breakfast piece caught my eye. I’m an empty-nester too, and when I finally ate a real morning meal (eggs, leftover roasted veggies, sometimes Greek yogurt) I stopped the 10 a.m. pantry prowl and my afternoon walks felt less draggy. Something else that helped me during a flat month: I tracked waist

👍 4 ❤️ 1

That first 14x number is such a milestone—huge congrats. Since the whoosh is already covered, I’m curious: what was the actual breakfast? When I switched from coffee-only mornings to eggs, Greek yogurt, and berries, my monthly average kept sliding even while daily weights bounced around 2 lbs. The flat month wasn’t wasted; it was just data collection. If you’re a daily weigher, try comparing this week’s average to the same week last month, not to yesterday. That gap usually tells the real story.

👍 1

Hi, I'm brand new here (week one, so still figuring out how to even post). Congratulations on the 14X! That stall sounds so frustrating. I'm curious — did your actual breakfast change in a way you could repeat, or was it more that you finally had time/energy to eat it? I ask because I'm terrible at mornings, usually just coffee, then I'm ravenous at night. I'm trying to track loosely, not obsessively, and I'm scared the scale won't move for weeks and I'll quit. Hearing your patience helps. Also, did you notice clothes fitting differently during the flat month, or was it truly nothing until the drop? Sorry for the nervous questions.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

Hi! Brand-new member here (week one, still nervous to post), and this made me smile for you. 147.8 after a flat month has to feel surreal. One thing that’s helped me not panic during stalls: I do a waist measurement and a “favorite jeans” test every Sunday morning, same conditions. The scale can sit still while my waistband gets looser, and it keeps me from changing everything at once. Small newbie question — when you say an actual breakfast, was it more about eating earlier, or finally getting enough protein? I’m still figuring out what keeps me steady till lunch. Congrats again!

👍 1

What's the actual breakfast? I track mine in grams, and my 7-day trendline only budged when I cleared ~30g protein in the morning. The daily number is noisy—my spreadsheet uses a 14-day rolling average, and a 147.8 wouldn't impress me until it held for three mornings. Did your waist or hip measurements move during that flat month? Mine dropped 1.5 cm while the scale sat still, which is why I stopped letting the scale lead. If you've got a trendline, what's

👍 1

fellow road warrior here — my “scale” is whatever hotel gym has, so I started packing a tape measure and snapping one mirror pic a week instead. Weirdly, my month-long stall ended when I stopped treating hotel breakfast like a scavenger hunt and did the same boring thing daily: two hard-boiled eggs, fruit, black coffee. It made dinner decisions way less chaotic. Was your actual breakfast more about the food itself, or the fact that it kept you from grazing at the airport all afternoon? And do you weigh at home only, or brave the hotel gym scale on travel weeks?

honestly the breakfast thing is interesting. are you eating it earlier than your old first meal? i only ask bc my stall broke when i shifted my eating window earlier and cut the 1am soda + cheese crackers loop. same weekly calories, but my morning readings got way less noisy. also did you take waist/hip measurements during the flat month? mine kept creeping down even when the scale didn't, and that kept me from rage-quitting. congrats on the 140s, first digit flip hits different.