Down 118 lbs and my spreadsheet finally makes sense

Sep 30 1837 views 10 posts

Started at 312 in early March. Weighed in at 156 this morning. Roughly 68 weeks, so about 2.3 lbs a week averaged out, with the usual ugly flat stretches.

The process was boring on purpose. Weighed food for the first five months, then eyeballed it once I had enough data to trust my own estimates. Protein first, 8k steps minimum, lift twice a week so I don't end up a deflated balloon.

What's funny is the goalpost moved on its own. I hit the number I'd been chasing for over a year and within about six hours I was calculating the next ten pounds. Objective function updated itself without asking me.

Non-scale stuff that actually registered: 3XL to L shirts, 48 to 34 jeans, and I can tie my shoes without the breathing situation. Didn't expect the shoe thing to be the emotional one.

Anyone else hit their original target and find the finish line quietly relocated? Curious how you recalibrated.

👍 6

Night shift here. The scale goes stupid after a run of 3am meals. I track weekly average and waist, not daily. What did you do with the flat stretches? Change anything or just hold course? I weigh dense stuff only: rice, oils, cheese. Eyeball veggies and lean protein. Keeps it sane. 8k steps after shift? I do mine before bed or I don't sleep.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

Congratulations on such a thoughtful, steady run. What I find most impressive is that you moved from weighed food to eyeballing only after building enough data to trust yourself. Did you set a specific rule for when to bring the food scale back out—say, if your trend line stays flat for three weeks, or if protein slips below your target? I am asking because I am in that in-between stage now, and I am never sure whether to trust my estimates or tighten things up again.

👍 4 ❤️ 2

Tbh The boring-on-purpose thing is what got me too. Weird travel hack: I keep a collapsible bowl and a 1-cup measuring cup in my carry-on. Airport breakfast default is the grab-and-go oatmeal plus two hard-boiled eggs, logged as “airport survival” so I don’t pretend it was a real meal. Hotel gym = 20 minutes of dumbbells because that’s all I can reliably get. I also skip the scale the morning after a flight—dehydration and cabin sodium make it nonsense. Do you keep a separate travel-week tab in your spreadsheet, or just let it roll into the main one?

👍 4 ❤️ 3

There was a thread last spring about non-scale wins that finally clicked for me. I added a Sunday waist measurement at the navel to my sheet, same time, before coffee. During my two 6-week flats the scale looked broken but the tape dropped almost an inch each time. That kept me from “fixing” what wasn’t broken. At 156, are you thinking maintenance range

👍 6 ❤️ 1

question: did you have a non-scale metric that kept you sane during the flat stretches? I log navel waist and same-light photos monthly. When my scale sat at 174 for six weeks, waist dropped 4 cm. That was the only reason I didn’t cut intake further and tank training. Also curious whether your spreadsheet uses a rolling regression or just week-to-week delta. I switched to a 14-day slope and it cut the noise substantially.

👍 5 ❤️ 2

Nice work. The flat stretches are brutal. I lift 4x/week and found my scale weight stalled for 6 weeks while my estimated 1RM on squat and bench actually crept up—recomp is weird like that. Curious: did you keep lifting twice a week the whole time, or bump frequency/volume as you got leaner? I’m paranoid about losing muscle in a deficit, so I track protein (1g/lb) and sleep like a hawk. What did your waist and strength do during those flat stretches?

👍 8 ❤️ 1

Running a cafe, my blind spot was the “quality control” bites — a spoon of ganache, crust off a tart, the one scone that baked lopsided. I started keeping a tiny tally on the order pad and logging one line at night (“QC bites: 3”), not pretending they were zero. That column in my spreadsheet was embarrassing but weirdly motivating. Once you moved from weighing to eyeballing, did you still track those little kitchen tastes, or did they just become part of your normal estimate? Congrats on 118 — especially with food literally within arm’s reach all day.

👍 5

Curious what your spreadsheet used for smoothing? I log daily weights into a 7-day EMA plus a 14-day slope, and it finally separated noise from trend. My last flat stretch was 4 weeks, but waist down 1.25" and lifts crept up—in the trials, that kind of lean-mass retention can make scale loss look stalled. Did your ugly flats line up more with training load/sodium, or with actual intake creep? I’m trying to decide when to trust the trend vs. go back to weighing food for a week.

👍 2

The spreadsheet part got me—I do a low-tech version: whiteboard with weekly weigh-ins and a tally for days I hit protein before 4pm. My snack drawer is two bins: grab-anytime (turkey sticks, edamame cups, cut fruit) and “close the drawer” (nuts, chocolate), which I pre-portion Sunday while the kids wreck the kitchen. Curious: on chaotic weeks, do you keep logging everything or just hold the habits and pick tracking back up after? That’s where I usually fall off.

👍 1 ❤️ 1