My 2014 conference badge photo says otherwise

Saturday at 3:02 PM 1725 views 6 posts

i’m on the road most weeks, so my meal plan is 70% hotel breakfast strategy and 30% hoping the mini-fridge actually gets cold. Every time I see a side-by-side, someone says I just lost my pandemic weight. My before photo is from a 2014 work conference, though — I was already stuffing myself into XXL shirts and calling it travel bloat. I’m down 47 pounds over about 15 months. The boring stuff did it: picking protein first at hotel breakfast, keeping bagged salad and rotisserie chicken in the room, and doing a 20-minute lobby walk when I’d rather faceplant. Not glamorous, but neither is a conference badge photo from a decade ago. Anyone else have a comment that completely rewrites when your weight story started?

👍 2 ❤️ 1

That 2014 badge photo hit me. I’ve got a 2016 lanyard pic I used to call “conference puffy,” like the shirt wasn’t already tight. The pandemic-weight comments erase how long it’s been.

One thing that helped my hotel weeks: I bring a flat soft cooler in my suitcase and hit a grocery store on night one. Yogurt, cheese sticks, cut fruit, sparkling water. Ice machine keeps it cold when the mini-fridge is useless. It stops the 6am pastry-and-waffle spiral.

Is your 70% breakfast strategy more “eat the free buffet” or “find protein nearby”? I’m always looking for new road moves.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

Unpopular take: the mini-fridge is usually the weak link, not breakfast. I put a $9 fridge thermometer in my travel kit after finding most hotel fridges cycle between 41–48°F, so I quit treating them as reliable. Now I log two things: hotel breakfast protein (g) and whether I hit 8k steps by 6pm. My spreadsheet says when breakfast clears 30g protein, my afternoon snack spend drops ~35%; carb-heavy hotel mornings correlate with 1.2k fewer steps. Mildly annoying trendline. What’s your usual hotel breakfast protein number—and does your 2014 badge weight look like a local max or just the start of the climb?

👍 5 ❤️ 1

I feel you on the mini-fridge. My hack: ask the front desk for a real fridge, then hit a grocery store for pre-cut veg and Greek yogurt. Airport tip: newsstand hard-boiled eggs and string cheese are my emergency kit. That 2014 badge photo is a brutal but useful reality check — travel bloat doesn't explain XXL. Sharp question: how do you survive a three-hour flight delay when the whole terminal smells like Cinnabon? I'm down 30 and still learning.

👍 4

The 2014 badge photo detail is weirdly comforting — my dorm “before” is a student ID where my chin and neck were sharing a ZIP code. Hotel breakfast move: Tupperware plate with 2 hard-boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, a scoop of oatmeal, PB packets, fruit, then stash an apple + string cheese for later. Mini-fridge hack: ice bucket + ziplock, aka a cooler with delusions of grandeur. Real question: what’s your go-to shelf-stable protein when the fridge is just a cold rumor? I’m rotating tuna packets, roasted chickpeas, and mild shame.

I feel the 2014 conference badge thing. I track weird stuff on the road: airport protein cost per gram, hotel fridge temp with a $10 thermometer, and how many mornings the buffet actually has eggs vs just muffins. Most mini-fridges I’ve tested sit 44–48°F, so I ask the front desk to stash my yogurt/string cheese in the kitchen fridge overnight, or I do an ice-bucket cooler in the sink. 47 down while traveling is no joke. What’s your default hotel breakfast when the buffet is all carbs — eggs and fruit, or do you bring shelf-stable stuff?