Night shift schedule, 12 months, and a 140-pound drop

Sep 30 1353 views 8 posts

Twelve months, 312 to 172—140 down. Size 26 jeans to a 14. My overnight gig is 911 dispatch: 7p–7a, three or four nights. The food didn't get fancy—chicken, rice, frozen veg, packed before shift. At 2am I eat that instead of hitting the vending machine. After work I walk 20 minutes, then sleep. Scale stayed put some weeks; salt had me up 3 lbs others. So I quit daily weigh-ins and only check Friday after sleep. Still want gas station junk at 4am. I just don't buy it. Night-shift eating is harder than the diet itself—anyone else?

👍 7 ❤️ 1

Curious how you time your last meal relative to sleep? I wrk 3 12s (7p–7a) and found my weight swings 2–4 lb depending on whether I eat at 2am vs 4am, even with similar calories. I switched to weighing after waking instead of right after shift—way less noise. Did you track waist/measurements during stalls, or just the scale? 140 is wild, congrats.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

I track this stuff obsessively, so the salt thig rings true. My 7-day rolling average hides the 3-lb water bumps, but a 3-day mean gets wrecked by one late-night impulse meal. Contrarian take: the 2am meal isn’t magic—it’s that pre-packing removes ~600–900 kcal of vending-machine autopilot. Do you log sleep duration next to weight? My trendline only makes sense once I tag post-shift days vs. off days; otherwise I’d swear I was gaining on identical intake. Curious if your spreadsheet separates those.

👍 4

Congratulations on 140 pounds and keeping a routine through overnights—that is no small feat. One thing that helped me was separating shift-day and off-day weigh-ins, then comparing only weekly averages, because daily numbers after night work felt almost meaningless. I also noted energy levels and steps beside the scale, which made stalls easier to read. Did your weekly average change much when you moved between three and four nights, or did it stay fairly level? I am always curious how other night-shift people keep the routine from bleeding into days off.

👍 7 ❤️ 1

The after-work walk before sleep is the part I keep thinking about. I’ve been rebuilding my days after my kids moved out, and a 20-minute loop is my new anchor too—but if I catch too much morning light, I’m wired. Do you wear sunglasses or a hat on that walk, or is it still dark when you get out? I’m trying to build a wind-down that doesn’t involve my phone in bed.

👍 6

man congrats. overnight dispatch is a different beast. one thing i’m curious about: do you keep that same 2am meal on your off nights, or flip back to a day schedule? i do 3 twelves too and my off days are where i fall apart—soda cravings hit hard around 1am even when i’m home. i’ve been doing the generic mio in a big insulated cup to kill the fountain soda habit. not perfect but way fewer calories. also do you pre-log the 2am meal before shift? that’s the only thing that stops me from doordashing at 3am lol

👍 7 ❤️ 1

Congrats on the size 14—that’s a real milestone. The 20-minute walk before sleep is smart; it gives your brain a “shift is over” cue. What I’m curious about: how do you handle your days off? I kept my

👍 2

Fellow overnight gremlin here, but my shifts come with hotel keys and TSA lines. The game-changer for me was packing two identical “2am meals” per night: microwave rice pouch, rotisserie chicken, frozen broccoli, hot sauce. Hotel mini-fridge gets one shelf; backpack gets the rest. If the property has no microwave, I pivot to tuna packets, bagged slaw, and an apple. Question for you: on your 3–4 night blocks, do you pre-portion all of them before night one, or assemble each shift? I’m trying to get my 1am decision-making down to absolutely zero.