Anyone else’s doctor lumping BPC and TB-500 together?

Sep 30 952 views 4 posts

I’ve been here about three years, mostly lurking through the GLP-1 side and a couple injury threads. I’m 14 weeks into PT for a torn labrum, going twice a week, and still can’t get my arm overhead without cheating. Yesterday my ortho brought up “those healing peptides” when I asked about recovery stuff. He didn’t separate BPC from TB-500 at all—just said they’re risky, unregulated, and he’s seen people end up worse. I get the caution. I really do. But it was weird how little nuance there was, especially after he admitted he doesn’t follow the literature. I’m not looking for a workaround or a pep talk. I’m just wondering if this is becoming the default script. For the long-timers: when your doctor shuts down the whole peptide conversation, do you push back, nod politely, or just keep it to yourself?

👍 3 ❤️ 1

I’d push back gently and ask him to name the source. In my reading, BPC and TB-500 aren’t even the same class—one’s often discussed for gut/soft-tissue signaling, the other for cell migration/actin stuff—and most labrum data is animal or mechanistic, not human. When my sports-med PA lumped them, I asked for any RCT in shoulder recovery and got crickets. I track overhead ROM with a goniometer app and pain 0–10 before/after PT; that’s been more useful than peptide

👍 3

14 weeks of PT twice a week is a real grind—props for still showing up. One thing I’d want clarified: did your ortho mean BPC and TB-500 as a broad “healing peptide” category, or does he think they work the same way? That distinction would change what I’d ask next. Also, what’s your current tiny

👍 6 ❤️ 1

Not a labrum, but I’ve been tracking my overhead reach on a doorframe with sticky notes during dorm PT. Only pattern so far: my shoulder hates when I sleep like a crumpled receipt, and dining-hall Greek yogurt + tuna packets are my cheap-protein love language. n=1 and probably nonsense. Sharp question: did your ortho actually explain how he’d use those two differently—tissue vs. inflammation—or was it just a vague “healing peptides” hand-wave? Because lumping them together sounds like my intro bio prof calling every enzyme “a protein” and moving on. If he can’t separate them, I’d trust the PT homework more than the label.

👍 5