Kept off 154 pounds through three years of night shifts

Friday at 12:45 AM 2577 views 8 posts

I work nights. Three years in. Down 154 lb. No magic. Started at 310, now 156. Pants went from 24 to 12. The first year was just white-knuckling the 3am snack urge. Now I prep food before my shift, eat protein before bed, and walk 20 minutes after I get home. Some weeks the scale doesn't move. Some weeks it drops 2 lb. I still have nights where I want gas station food at 5am. I don't feel cured. I feel boring, which is fine. The meds helped me stop the spiral, but the routine is what kept the weight off. Anyone else on overnights find the late-shift cravings get quieter, or do they just change shape?

👍 5 ❤️ 1

Honestly, Night shift is just permanent jet lag with snacks. What saved me was anchoring sleep—same window even on off days, blackout curtains, no caffeine past the midpoint of my shift. Appetite got way less feral. Also switched to a 7-day rolling average instead of daily weigh-ins, so the stalls stopped being emotional events. Sharp question: do you flip back to a day schedule on your nights off, or stay nocturnal? That’s the variable I could never optimize without feeling like trash.

👍 4

154 down and pants 24 to 12 is amazing. I started color-coding my calendar—N for night shifts, O for off days, and a dot for days I got my walk in. It showed my snack urges were way worse on transition days, not the actual shift. Do you notice a pattern like that, or is 3am still the main boss for you?

👍 3

Fellow airport raccoon here. Night shifts + travel made me realize my danger window isn’t midnight, it’s the 90 minutes before boarding and the hotel desk at 1am. I started tracking by shift-day vs off-day instead of just daily, and the off-day graze was sneakier than the actual overnight. Hotel kit: tuna pouches, roasted chickpeas, jerky, instant miso, baby cucumbers if I can find them, and a spork. Airport loop: walk the terminal once before parking at the gate. Scale stalls usually mean sodium + hotel AC dehydration for me. Do you log by shift blocks or just total day? That split changed everything for me.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

Night shift here. New thing that helped: I rate hunger 1–10 before I eat at night. If it’s 4 or less, I make hot tea and wait 20 minutes. Usually it passes. Also weigh after my main sleep, same spot, not before. The number is less stupid that way. Question: on your off days, do you keep the same sleep window or flip back? That’s the part that wrecks me.

👍 7 ❤️ 1

Congrats — the long game is the hard part. Quick tracking q: when you say some weeks stall, are you looking at daily weigh-ins or a 7-day average? I also rotate nights, and my daily weight swings 3–4 lb depending on sleep, sodium, and whether I ate before bed. What finally made the scale make sense was logging weight in an app and only judging the weekly average, plus a paper checklist for "protein + veg + walk" rather than calories. Did you change your tracking method at any point, or just white-knuckle it through the flat weeks? Also curious what your pre-shift prep actually looks like — batch-cooked or same 2–3 meals?

👍 1

Two kids here, so my version is a fridge drawer, not a pantry one: boiled eggs, cheese sticks, grapes, hummus cups. I eat my “night dinner” at 1am, not

👍 7 ❤️ 3

Congrats—that’s a huge, sustainable-sounding win. The part I’m curious about is the day-off flip: do you stay on a night-ish schedule on your off days, or switch to days? I’ve tracked my sleep and hunger 1–10 for a month, and my 3am snack urges line up almost perfectly with nights I get under 6 hours, way more than with what I ate earlier. So I’m skeptical of pure willpower framing. What did you change first: sleep timing, meal timing, or the walk? And did any of it fail before it stuck?