Thirty-six months and 154 pounds later, maintenance questions

Saturday at 1:10 AM 1938 views 8 posts

Hit 154 lb down this week, 36 months from start. I track weekly weigh-ins, protein around 120 g/day, resistance training 3x/week, and 8–10k steps. Sizes went from 3XL to L; waist down 14 inches. The loss phase was straightforward: calorie deficit, high protein, consistency. Maintenance is less intuitive. My weight fluctuates 4–5 lb with sodium and training load, so I use a 7-day average rather than the daily scale. No meds changes in months; just habits. For those who've kept it off for 1+ years: what is your main leading indicator—waist, weekly average, clothing fit, or something else?

👍 7 ❤️ 3

maintenance got easier when I stopped treating the scale like a grade. I weigh daily but only react to the 7-day average. My action band: up 3+ lb for two weeks, then I tighten snack portions and add a walk—not a whole overhaul. With two kids, my snack drawer is pre-portioned: turkey sticks, cheese cubes, roasted chickpeas, apples, mini popcorn. I also eat a protein snack before the 5pm dinner chaos so I’m not grazing off their plates. What’s your trigger to adjust, or do you just ride the sodium swings? Curious if your L plateaued in certain brands too.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

Maintenance got less mysterious for me when I switched to a 10-day average plus a tape measure. The scale can swing 4 lb after pad Thai, but my waist doesn’t lie. I also keep three default dinners in rotation—sheet-pan chicken and veggies, lentil soup, taco bowls—so I’m not reinventing “healthy” every night. Now that the house is quiet, cooking for two instead of four made a surprising difference. Curious: have you set a bounce-back range? Mine is if the 10-day average is up 3 lb, I log food again for a couple weeks. That keeps a sodium blip from feeling like a failure.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

Congrats—36 months is the part people underestimate. Maintenance got easier for me when I stopped treating one number as the goal and set a 5-lb range around it. I weigh daily but only judge the weekly average; sodium spikes get three days to settle. If the average sits at the top of my range for two weeks, I go back to weighed portions and a 30-min evening walk until it drifts down. There was a good thread here a while back about maintenance being a skill, not a finish line—that stuck. What’s your buffer plan when the trend creeps up?

👍 4 ❤️ 1

Congrats—36 months is huge. Cafe owner here, so maintenance is a different beast: I can’t avoid food, but I can control the first 30 minutes of my shift. I pre-log my cafe meal before opening, keep a protein-heavy backup, and use a 5-lb window instead of one goal weight. If I’m up 4–5 lb, I wait 3 days, keep sodium/water steady, then check the weekly average. One concrete thing that helped: a designated pair of jeans plus waist tape, not just the scale. Sharp question: what’s your action threshold—do you change anything after a certain number of days above your window, or only if the weekly average trends up?

👍 5 ❤️ 2

Congrats on 154 and 36 months—that’s not luck, that’s systems. I’m in maintenance too, and what helped was ditching the daily scale freakout: I use a 10-day trend plus waist at navel once a week. I set a 5-lb guardrail. If my trend sits above it for a week, I don’t panic-diet; I add a protein-first breakfast, cut liquid calories, and get 12k steps. If it dips below, I check I’m not under-eating. Sharp question: what’s your guardrail, and how do you decde when to intervene vs. let sodium/water settle? Are you still tracking protein daily or just eyeballing it now?

👍 4 ❤️ 3

Congrats—that’s a huge recomp. The thing that finally made maintenance click for me was treating gym performance as the dashboard, not just weight. I keep a few boring benchmarks: pull-ups, goblet squat reps, and how my top set feels at the same load. If those hold or creep up while my weekly average is flat, I don’t touch calories. If they nosedive for two weeks and sleep is trash, I add 100–150 g carbs around training before changing anything else. How are your main lifts trending since you hit goal—maintaining strength, still gaining, or just holding on?

👍 1 ❤️ 1

Congrats on 154 down — and on surviving the cafe paradox! I run a cafe too, and the thing that finally helped maintenance was treating taste-tests like real food. I keep a tiny ramekin by the espresso machine: any bite beyond two goes in there, and at the end of service I count it as my afternoon snack instead of pretending it was zero. I also pack my own lunch before the rush, because if I wait I’ll graze on day-old pastry. Do you have a rule for the “just one bite” stuff at work? That’s the part I still fumble.