I'm 42M, started at 213 in January, down to 187. Waist from 40 to 35.5. For the last 5 weeks my daily weigh-ins have bounced 186.4-188.1 despite 1,900-2,000 kcal/day, 10k steps, lifting 3x/week. Sleep is about 6.5h. Fasting glucose 92, A1c 5.3 last month. I keep reading about diet breaks and refeeds. Did anyone actually see the scale move after a planned higher-calorie week, or is it just water whoosh? I don't want to waste a month.
Stuck at 187 for five weeks - refeed or diet break?
Five weeks flat usually means maintenance crept down to what you're eating. A break helps adherence, not magic fat loss. Track waist too.
Waist down at all in those five weeks?
Waist is the tell for me. Scale stalled 4 weeks but pants got loose. If waist same, maybe recalc calories.
I did a 10-day break at maintenance. Scale jumped 3 lbs, then dropped to a new low after 8 days. Could've been cortisol/water, not magic.
That's the part nobody wants to hear. The refeed didn't burn extra fat; it just made me sane enough to keep logging.
What's your sodium like? Mine spikes after salty weekends.
Sodium isn't holding a five-week plateau. That's not how it works.
I've seen the same pattern twice. First time I panicked and cut to 1,500, ended up binging by week 6. Second time I took 12 days at what I thought was maintenance, kept protein high, walked same, lifted same. Scale went up 2.8 lb by day 4, then down 4.2 lb by day 14. Net I was only 1.4 lb lower than plateau, but waist finally moved half an inch. The break didn't create fat loss; it let me stick to the deficit after. If you're sleeping 6.5h, that's probably the bigger lever for you.
Sleep is my weird one. Under 7h and my hunger is feral. Scale doesn't move either.
Do you weigh daily and average weekly? A 5-week flat weekly average is a real plateau. Daily noise can foo lyou.
I'd check if you're actually eating 1,900. Weekend bites, oils, creamer add up fast. I found 300 kcal/day doing that.
If u take a break, set a date to return to deficit. Otherwise maintenance becomes the new norm and you're just tired.
Five weeks flat with your waist still shrinking is the tell — my money's on recomposition, not a real stall. My version: stuck at 191-193 for six weeks last fall while my 36 jeans went from snug to needing a belt, and the daily number was pure noise from lifting soreness and sodium. The fix was boring. I pulled 35 days of weigh-ins into a spreadsheet and averaged each week, and the weekly averages were still drifting down about 0.2 lb/week the entire time. Invisible when you're staring at individual mornings. Do that math first, because if your weekly averages are genuinely identical for five straight weeks, that's a real plateau and different advice actually applies.
6.5h at 42 with lifting three times a week is the first dial I'd turn, honestly. I moved lights-out 45 minutes earlier for two weeks, same calories, same steps, and my 9pm snack urge basically disappeared. Scale broke a four-week flat stretch and dropped 2 lbs that month. Sleep debt makes you hungrier for exactly the food you're trying to limit.
Before planning any refeed I'd audit the last five weekends specifically. My "stuck" month was Mon-Thu at 1,900 and Fri-Sun at 2,800 with the restaurant chips and beers never logged — that averages out to maintenance. I only caught it by weighing Sunday night instead of Monday. Same weekday food, just tightened Sat/Sun, and 4 lbs came off in three weeks.
Did a planned higher week in March, up around 2,600 for seven days. Scale jumped 4.2 lbs by day three, which is glycogen and water, and it completely wrecked me mentally. Took nine days after that to get back under the old low, then another 2 lbs came off over the next couple weeks. So it moved — just not in the direction or on the timeline anyone wants. If watching the number climb for two weeks would wreck you, don't bother.
Five weeks of daily weigh-ins can gaslight you if you’re only looking at the number. I started logging a 7-day average in a notes app, and my 187.6 “stall” was actually a 0.4 lb drop once the water nose averaged out. The weird part was my belt moved a notch before the scale did. What’s your waist or a pair of jeans doing over those same five weeks?
I thought I was nailing 1,900 until I weighed cooking oils and sauces for a week. Olive oil, mayo, and “a little” peanut butter were adding about 280 kcal most days, which is basically a stalled deficit. The turn: my portions had crept up while my logging stayed optimistic. Try weighing just the calorie-dense stuff for 5 days; don’t overhaul everything, just audit the slippery items.
My 10k steps were mostly slow dog walks, so my body got very efficient at them. I added 15 minutes of brisk incline walking after dinner, same 10k total, and broke a four-week scale stall in about 8 days. Your lifting 3x is solid, but maybe the daily movement intensity has quietly dropped. Any chance your pace or gym loads are easier than they were six weeks ago?
Unpopular take: fie weeks at 187 after a 26 lb drop isn’t necessarily a plateau, it can be your body’s new set point for a minute. I’d give it 2-3 more weeks before changing calories, but I’d change one variable: take waist, thigh, and upper-arm measurements now, then again in 14 days. The scale may sit still while those move. What are your measurements doing?
Your 6.5 hours is the sneaky one for me — the scale oly moves when I get 7+.
Your 6.5 hours jumped out. I stalled at 182 for six weeks, added a 45-minute earlier bedtime and a 10-minute walk after dinner, changed nothing else, and dropped 1.8 lb in five days with a 0.25 inch waist drop. Then it stalled again when work got crazy. I’d do a boring sleep/stress week before a refeed, honestly.
My refeed week added 3 lb by day 3 and dropped 4 by day 10. Net zilch, but my head needed it.
Check your Friday-to-Monday swing. I swore I was stalled at 176 for a month until I logged weekends: two beers Friday, takeout Saturday, salty Sunday brunch. Tue-Fri I was actually losing. Cut one takeout and one beer night, scale dropped 1.6 lb in nine days without changing weekday calories.
daily weigher here. Five weeks at the same trend line often isn’t calorie math—it’s output drift. I stalled at 184 for a month, swore my 3x lifting was unchanged, then checked my log: same exercises, but I’d been sandbagging the last set and rest times crept up. Added two hard sets total per session, kept food identical, and my 7-day average finally ticked down 1.6 lb over 10 days. Has your top set or rep count actually gone up since the stall started? If not, that’s where I’d look before a refeed.
Before you try a refeed, what do your lifting numbers say? I stalled for ~6 weeks at a similar intake, but my squat/bench reps were still creeping up and my waist dropped another 0.5". The scale was just the last thing to move. What actually broke my plateau wasn’t a planned refeed—it was realizing my “10k steps” had become slow strolling: same step count, way fewer active minutes. If your gym log is flat too, then sure, a maintenance week might help adherence. If lifts are still progressing, I’d hold course 2 more weeks and track weekly averages plus waist. Which is it for you?
What are your current waist and top-set numbers compared with five weeks ago? That’s the tiebreaker for me. If waist is still creeping down or lifts are climbing, the scale is just noise/recomp. If both are flat, I’d audit intake—oils, nut butters, bites, weekend meals—because 1,900 can quietly be 2,200. I stalled at 182 for six weeks; tightening tracking moved things before any diet break did. Are you measuring waist weekly or just going off the scale?
Tbh What’s your waist tape doing over those same 5 weeks? That was my tell: scale froze at 171 for ~6 weeks, but waist kept creeping down about 0.2 in/week and clothes fit differently. If your waist is also flat, I’d look harder at sleep before a full refeed — 6.5h is where I personally stall. For me, a 10-day maintenance break (same food, a bit more carbs around sessions) just added ~2 lb water, then the scale started moving again after about a week. It wasn’t magic, but it made tracking less miserable. Has hunger or your fasting glucose changed, or is the scale the only stuck thing?
Five weeks flat but waist 35.5 — what's your waist doing now vs five weeks ago? That's the tell I wish I'd checked earlier. There was a long thread on this last spring where a bunch of us stalled on the scale while belts kept moving. If your waist is still shrinking, I'd hold course and maybe add a 15-min after-dinner walk before touching calories. If waist is frozen too, I'd do a planned maintenance week — same foods, a bit more carbs on lifting days — not a free-for-all refeed. Are you eating back your lifting-day calories? That was my hidden leak.
I was stuck at 184–186 for almost six weeks, same calories. Scale didn’t budge, but my waist kept dropping about a quarter inch every 10 days. I stopped daily weighing and did weekly waist + how my jeans fit. Two weeks later the scale finally caught up. What’s your waist doing now? If it’s still moving, that’s not a true stall. If it’s frozen too, have you changed sleep or stress? 6.5h was my personal plateau trigger—when I got closer to 7.5 for two weeks, I dropped 2 lbs without changing food.
Before refeed, audit the boring stuff: are weekends logged with the same rigor as weekdays, and are you weighing oils, nuts, and spreads? My 5-week “plateau” was ~250 kcal/day of unlogged bites and cooking fat. Also, what’s your waist trend over those 5 weeks? If waist is still dropping or gym clothes fit better, the scale is just a lagging indicator. If waist is also frozen and intake is verified, a 2-week maintenance break is a diagnostic, not a hack. Which one is frozen?
I’ve been maintaining three years after a 60 lb loss, and a refeed wasn’t magic for me. A 10-day diet break at maintenance helped after a long deficit—mostly by restoring gym energy and sleep—but the scale bumped 2–3 lb of water first. Before that, what did your waist and how your jeans fit do during the five-week stall? If those are still improving, the scale is just the slowest metric. If they’re frozen too, a break might be worth trying. What’s your waist trend since the stall started?
What’s your sleep been doing during the stall? I stalled around 181 for almost six weeks with the same food, steps, and lifts. The thing that finally moved my trend was getting closer to 7.5h instead of 6.5—same calories, no refeed. I also started tracking waist weekly, and it kept dropping even when the scale didn’t. If you’re sleeping 6.5 and stressed, I’d log sleep + waist for 10 days before adding a diet break. Not magic, but it was my missing variable.
Before you refeed, check your lifting log: are you still adding reps/weight, or just surviving? That was my tell. I stalled at 188 for a month, then realized my non-gym step count had slid from ~10k to 7–8k and my squats felt heavy. I did a 10-day maintenance break—same foods, bigger portions, protein steady, no wild binges. Scale actually ticked up 2 lb, then dropped 3.5 the following week. If your lifts are still progressing, I’d hold steady another week; if they’re flat too, a short break might help. Are you still hitting your usual top sets?
Yes—mine did nothing for weeks, then finally moved after a maintenance week. Annoyingly, patience won.
Before a refeed, I’d check waist/arm tape and whether your gym pump photos look fuller. If your waist is still slowly dropping but the scale is flat, that’s recomp; don’t “fix” it. If everything is frozen, sleep stands out at 6.5h. When I clamped my wake time and got closer to 7.5h for 10 days, the scale broke without changing calories. A diet break is a tool, not a cheat code. What’s your waist trend over those five weeks?
I’d pull the last 28 days into a 7-day rolling average before calling it a plateau. Mine looked stuck at 181 for six weeks, but the trendline was actually -0.12 lb/wk, then -2.1 lb showed up across nine days once sodium/carb water settled. Refeed didn’t unlock anything; the trendline did. What’s your weekly-average change from week 1 to week 5? If it’s basically zero, you’re at maintenance, and the move is either accept slower loss or adjust something — not a ceremonial refeed
For what it's worth, quick question: what have your main lifts done over those 5 weeks? When I was flat at a similar point, my scale sat at 181–183, but my squat and row reps kept climbing. I was holding water from a new 3x/week program plus longer walks, so fat loss was hidden. Comparing a 7-day average to my last deload week helped, not day-to-day. If your lifts are progressing, that’s a different story than if everything is stalled. If they’re stalled too, I’d look at recovery before tinkering with calories.
i’d check if your lifting numbers are still creeping up. When I stalled 5 weeks, I kept adding 5 lbs to squats and my scale froze, but pants got looser. I finally did a 4-day maintenance break at roughly my old maintenance calories, kept protein same, added a banana/potatoes around workouts, slept 7.5h, and dropped 2 lbs the following week. Not saying it was the break—could be water/glycogen finally settling. What does your lift log look like: are you progressing or just maintaining?
What are you doing with the daily data? I stalled hard around 185 for six weeks until I switched to a 10-day rolling average and only judged by that. Scale looked flat, but the average was down ~0.15 lb/wk—water from hard lifting masked it. Also check scale calibration/battery; mine drifted 1.2 lb. If the rolling average is truly flat for 3+ weeks, then it’s a real stall; otherwise don’t refeed off noisy mornings. Are you tracking trend weight or just reacting to the daily number?
Cafe owner here. My 6-week “stall” was mostly workday bites: a corner of scone, a sip of mocha, oil off the spoon, “just tasting” the soup. I put a small plate by the till and logged every taste for 3 days—it was ~250 kcal/day I’d never counted. Are you tracking the bites/drinks you have while working, or just your meals? Also compare your week 1 vs week 3 average, not daily bounces. That hidden gap may matter more than a refeed.
My stall broke after a maintenance week, but honestly the tae moved before the scale did.
Road warrior here: my five-week stall was mostly hotel sodium and random scales. I once got a 3.8-lb spread in three cities on the same morning. Now I pack a cheap flat travel scale and weigh first thing in the same spot. Also, hotel/airport meals are sodium bombs even when calories look fine. Are you weighing on your home scale or whatever’s in
Your sleep number jumped out at me. At 6.5h, my body held water and my resting HR crept up even with steady calories. A 10-day sleep experiment—same food/steps, just 45–60 extra minutes in bed—moved me off a 4-week plateau, no refeed. Have you noticed your resting HR, morning hunger, or mood shifting over those 5 weeks? If sleep debt is high,
Not a doc, just a fellow small-town loser. One thing I didn’t see mentioned: are you weighing on the exact same spot, same scale, after bathroom, before coffee? My old dial scale read 2 lb heavy on the rug, and a dying battery made me nuts. Also, 6.5h sleep would stall me hard—when I got closer to 7.5 for a week, with steady sodium and no new creatine/protein powder, the whoosh finally hit. Pharmacist mentioned some meds can gum up regularity, so I keep an eye on that too. Did you start any new supplement or switch protein brands lately? That can hide fat loss for weeks.
Mine stalled 4 wks while waist kept dropping—that's recomposition, not failure.
I’d audit your weekly calorie bank before doing a refeed. My 6-week stall at 179 ended when I checked weekends: 1,900 Mon–Thu, then 2,700+ Fri–Sun. My “1,950 average” was actually ~2,250. Once I logged honestly, the 7-day rolling average started dropping again 10 days later. What’s your 7-day average versus target? If they truly match and your rolling trendline is flat, then maybe a break. If not, you found the leak.
I’m brand new here (week one), so take this with a grain of salt. One thing I haven’t seen asked: did the stall start when your lifting got harder or more consistent? I’m coming from a running background and I always hold 2–3 lbs of water for a few days after a really tough session or a salty meal. If your 3x/week lifts are progressing, maybe you’re masking fat loss with inflammation/water. Are your gym numbers still climbing? If yes, that seems like a good sign. Also, do you weigh at the same time after the restroom and before food every day? Sorry if that’s obvious!
For what it's worth, before a refeed, audit tracking accuracy, not just calories. I stalled similarly and found my “1,900” was closer to 2,150 on weekends—oil, dressings, bites, creamer. Daily weights are noise; compare 7-day averages. If that average is flat, I’d fix the leak and add 1–2k steps before adding a maintenance week. Refeed won’t override a 200-kcal weekend leak. What does your 7-day average look like, and have you weighed food on a Saturday/Sunday lately?
One thing I’d track that’s not the scale or tape: your lifting numbers and how warmups feel. When I stalled like that, my top sets were grinding and sleep was 6.5h; a 10-day break at maintenance, same protein/steps but one less lifting day, dropped 2 lb afterward. If your lifts are still adding reps, I’d hold steady—training water can mask fat loss for weeks. What’s your bench/squat trend over those 5 weeks? If it’s flat too, that’s a stronger signal than the scale.
Before a refeed, what are your main lifts doing? If your top sets are still climbing or holding, I’d treat the 186–188 bounce as recovery/water noise. If they’re sliding too, that’s a recovery signal and a 7–10 day maintenance break makes more sense. Also do a 3-day weighed-food audit of oils, dressings, nut butters, and weekend bites. My own 5-week “plateau” was ~200 cal/day of untracked fats. The scale didn’t move until I found that leak.
Login to reply to this thread.
Login / Sign up