I don't post much, but this week marks eight years since I started at 450 lbs. I'm now around 165, which still feels surreal. The first couple of years were mostly about learning to eat regularly and walk daily. Around year three, I added two short strength sessions a week and started weighing myself once a week instead of daily, because daily numbers made me anxious. My clothes went from 5X to a medium in most tops, and I can tie my shoes without planning it. The last few years have been slower—maybe 10–15 lbs total—but I've kept most of the habits. I still track protein loosely and check in with my body before I eat, because old patterns can sneak back when I'm stressed. I'm cautious about calling anything a fix; it's been a mix of time, support, and patience. For those who are several years out, what helped you stay connected to your body without obsessing over the scale?
Eight years in: 285 pounds down and still checking in
Honestly, Eight years—congratulations. I also went weekly with the scale, but after my last kid moved out I needed something besides that number. I started a “life wins” note in my phone: walking to the library without needing a bench, carrying all the groceries in one trip, cooking one new vegetable every Sunday. Those entries keep me from treating maintenance like a punishment. Curious—when the scale sits still for a few weeks now, what’s your tell that you’re drifting, and what do you change first?
Night shift here. Eight years is the real flex. Boring consistency beats hype.
What helped me was anchoring a 20-minute walk right after shift, before bed. Same route. Same podcast. Rain or shine. Also kept a weekly photo in the same spot, no scale drama.
One thing
Honestly, I’m in the lost-then-regained club, so this is genuinely helpful. The thing that’s finally shifting for me this time is a two-minute after-dinner walk and a protein shake before I get too hungry. Not heroic, but it stops my 9 p.m. pantry raid. One question: after the first few years, what kept you from drifting when stress hit? That’s where I keep losing my footing.
Curious what your maintenance range looks like after eight years, not just the point weight. I’ve kept a spreadsheet since 2021, and my 7-day median is way more useful than any single weigh-in; daily swings can hit 4–5 lbs while the monthly trendline stays flat. The non-scale tabs matter more now: waist, resting HR, and a couple of strength lifts. Did your two sessions a week eventually turn into chasing performance, or did you keep them purely as insurance? I’m mildly contrarian here: I think people quit maintaining because they never define a 5-lb buffer zone and a response plan. What was yours?
Eight years and still checking in—that’s the part that sticks with me. Maintenance got easier when I stopped treating the daily number as a verdict and started watching a 14-day average instead. I still weigh daily, but I only act if the two-week trend is flat or up and my jeans feel tighter. Then I change one small thing: a 10-minute walk after dinner or pre-portioning snacks. The scale noise doesn’t get a vote anymore. What’s the one maintenance habit you’ve kept boring enough to survive eight years?
Two kids here, so the 4:30–6pm dinner-cooking graze is my final boss. My snack drawer has two zones: kids’ stuff at their height, and my own up high with pre-portioned jerky, roasted chickpeas, and nut packs. I also put cucumber and hummus on the counter before I start cooking, so if I graze it’s mostly that. Curious—after eight years, did your snack setup change as your kids got older, or is it still the same “don’t start dinner starving” rule? That window is what I’m trying to solve without white-knuckling it.
Login to reply to this thread.
Login / Sign up