A1c dropped 1.1, fasting glucose stuck in 120s—dawn phenomenon?

Aug 16 2853 views 16 posts

Twelve weeks of tracking now, and A1c went from 7.6 to 6.5, which I'm honestly thrilled about. But fasting glucose is stuck in the 120s-130s most mornings, even when after-dinner numbers look great. Wearing a CGM and seeing a dip around 3am, then a climb starting near 5. Is this dawn phenomenon, or is it just that post-meal numbers are what tend to improve most while fasting barely budges? Anyone else had A1c improve while fasting stayed put? Trying to figure out which data actually matters here.

That 3am dip then 5am climb screams dawn phenomenon to me. My CGM does the same thing.

Same pattern here. An evneing walk moved my morning number, but not the A1c.

👍 1

CGM or fingerstick? Mine reads 15 pts lower.

CGM charts keep showing the same shape: a 3am dip, then a 5am rise, while fingerstick fasting numbers look flat. Put the two side by side and the fasting lab suddenly makes more sense.

A1c went 7.8 to 6.9 over 14 weeks, but mornings sat at 120-130 the whole stretch until dinner moved earlier. That doesn't automatically mean the medication isn't working. The overnight curve and the A1c look like they're telling different parts of the story.

A month of logging every meal and sleep score felt excessive, honestly. It helped anyway. Not claiming it proves anything, just an n=1.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

Dinner timing changed my fasting more than carbs did.

👍 1 ❤️ 1

Dinner timing hasn't done much in my tracking. Nine weeks of food logs and the number's only down to 7.9 from 8.3. Are you tracking protein and fiber?

Protein and fiber didn’t move my fasting. Hidden coffee creamer was my culprit.

The coffee creamer thing got me too. I swapped to unsweetened and my 7am dropped about 10 points, but it took two weeks to show in averages. My post-dinner numbers barely moved, so I stopped blaming dinner. Your A1c drop is solid; a fasting plateau doesn’t always mean the med stopped working.

👍 1

My fasting was stuck in the 120s for like six weeks too, even with my A1c down to 6.3, but the weird part was my CGM showed that same 3am dip and 5am climb only on my worst sleep nights—not every morning. I started logging sleep next to my fasting numbers and found when I got under five hours, I’d wake up at 128-132; when I got seven-plus, I was 105-112. Turned out my “dawn phenomenon” was mostly my body freaking out from bad sleep and stress, not just a liver dump. I added a 10-minute walk after dinner and cut late evening laptop time, and within two weeks my morning average dropped to 110. Still not perfect, but way better than blaming the med. Have you tracked your sleep or stress levels alongside those 5am climbs? That might be the missing piece.

👍 1

Same 3am dip, 5am climb here. My spreadsheet finally accepted it as a feature, not a bug.

Same 3am dip and 5am climb here. My CGM just calls it scheduled maintenance.

Welcome to the 3am dip, 5am climb club—my CGM just logs it as my overnight shift.

Two kids here, so my 5am climb is basically a mood ring for my night. I started tagging my CGM with sleep and stress, not just food. Rough toddler night = fasting 10-15 pts higher; solid sleep = back near my usual. Also moved my snack-drawer raid earlier—if I’m gonna eat at night, I try to do it before 9 and log it, because late crackers show up on my morning graph. No magic fix, but the pattern made me less panicky. Anyone else’s morning number track more with sleep than dinner?

Not saying it isn’t dawn phenomenon, but I’d add two columns before accepting the label: time from last bite to lights-out and sleep efficiency. My 90-day trendline had fasting averaging 126 on nights I ate within 2 hours of bed and slept under 6h; it dropped to 111 when that gap was 3.5h+ and I had fewer wakeups. The 3am dip/5am climb shape barely moved. What’s your last-meal-to-bed delta? That’s been a stronger predictor for me than the CGM curve itself.

Budget dorm person here. The thing that changed my morning number wasn’t the overnight curve—it was my “cheap protein” timing. Dining hall closes at 7, so if I actually eat the sad chicken + frozen veg then, my fasting is way better than after an 11pm microwave ramen + peanut butter “study snack.” What’s your last-bite-to-lights-out gap? I’d log that before blaming only the 5am climb. Also, huge congrats on the A1c—mine is currently held together by tuna packets and delusion.