GLP-1 week 12: A1c 6.8 but fasting glucose still 140s

Aug 31 1172 views 10 posts

Something that comes up a lot with GLP-1 plus metformin, and the part people forget: the 12-week mark isn't a finish line for fasting numbers. Typical picture is A1c dropping nicely (7.9 to 6.8 is a real move), weight down maybe 14 lbs, post-meal numbers looking way better — and then fasting glucose just sitting there at 135-150 most mornings, which is confusing as hell when everything else is improving.

Common surprise: on a CGM it's fairly flat overnight until about 4 am, then it climbs. That pattern is usually the dawn phenomenon — liver dumping glucose as cortisol and other counter-regulatory hormones come up — rather than the medication failing. Post-meal control improving first makes sense, because that's largely about slowed gastric emptying, incretin effect and less glucose hitting the bloodstream at once. Fasting is a different animal: it's mostly about baseline hepatic insulin sensitivity and how much glycogen the liver is willing to release overnight. That tends to move later, and it often tracks more with weight loss and visceral fat coming down than with the drug itself. People commonly report fasting being the last number to budge, sometimes well past week 12.

Worth knowing before you compare options or timelines: fasting is also the number most affected by sleep, stress, late meals, and how long the gap is between dinner and the morning reading. So the honest answer to "does GLP-1 just take longer for fasting?" is kind of both — the drug helps, but the fasting drop usually shows up once enough weight and liver fat come off, and for a lot of people that's later than the A1c improvement. Anyone seen fasting finally break below that range after week 12, or did it only move as the weight kept coming down?

Fasting is always the last thing to move. That's the part people forget going in. Post-meal numbers tend to improve by week 4; fasting just sits there until maybe week 16. Worth knowing before you compare options or start second-guessing things: the weight trend lags right along with it.

Did your CGM rise start raound 3-4am too? Mine does. I blamed late protein but it happens even when I skip evening snacks.

The dawn phenomenon angle makes sense, but for me sleep and evening carbs mattered too. My fasting stayed in the 130s until I fixed my CPAP and moved dinner earlier. A1c was already 6.7, so the average looked fine while mornings looked ugly. Not saying that's your case, just that fasting is a noisy single number. What does your 2am CGM usually read?

👍 1 ❤️ 1

My endo said fasting can reflect liver insulin resistance more than meal spikes. Mine didn't drop until about 18 lbs down.

Same pattern in the tracking — dropped after week 14, no dose change.

I'd push back on blaming the drug timeline. In my n=1, fasting tracked almost exactly with weight and waist, not weeks. The GLP-1 helped meals first, fasting later.

👍 1

I've been digging into this because my fasting is stubborn too. Some papers separate GLP-1 effects on postprandial glucose from hepatic glucose output, and the liver effect seems slower or smaller in people with more visceral fat. My CGM showed a clear 4am rise even when my A1c hit 6.5. What finally changed for me was a consistent walk after dinner and better sleep, though I can't prove which did it.

👍 1

I was basically you at week 12—A1c 7.6 to 6.9, down 15 lbs, but fasting stuck in the 140s and my CGM had that same 4am hockey stick. The weird part: mine didn’t finally budge because the meds “kicked in harder,” it dropped when I fixed two boring things—dinner moved from 8:30pm to 6:30pm and I actually slept 7 hours instead of 5.5. I also cut the “healthy” bedtime handful of almonds, which was probably just giving my liver more to chew on overnight. By week 19-20 I was waking up 115-125 most days even though my post-meal numbers had already been good for weeks. What’s your dinner timing and sleep look like, and are you eating anything after 8pm?

My mornings were the last thing to budge, which was the opposite of what I expected — post-meal numbers dropped within a month, but I was still waking up in the 130s-140s around week 12, same little 3:30-4am ramp on the CGM that you're describing. The weird part is what finally moved it wasn't the med at all, it was dinner timing. Nights I ate after 8pm that dawn bump ran 25-30 points and I'd wake up at 140ish; eating by 6:30 with a 15-minute walk after, the bump shrank to maybe 10-15 points and I started seeing 110s-120s somewhere around week 19-20. Sleep was the other lever — under 6 hours and I was 15 points higher no matter what I'd eaten the day before. Are you eating late or grazing after dinner? That was my hidden