I’ve been tracking cash-pay telehealth intake fees for a spreadsheet because I’m comparing providers for a routine follow-up. Six clinics in my state: two charge $45–$60, three are $125–$149, one medspa-affiliated is $199. The $199 place includes labs (CBC, CMP, total T, estradiol) and a 30-min visit; cheap ones bill labs separately through Quest, roughly $180. My last CMP was normal, eGFR 92, ALT 24. Is the spread mostly lab markup, membership, or clinician type? What should I actually compare?
Same 15-min telehealth intake: $45 vs $199—what am I missing?
Clinician type is huge. NP-owned cash clinics can run lean; medspa with MD oversight adds rent, front desk, and margin. Ask if follow-up is included or $75 every time.
The lab markup is the sneaky part. I got a csah quote for CBC/CMP for $38 at Quest, but one telehealth portal listed $160 for the same panels. Same draw site.
Per-minute math is why I stopped chasing cheap intakes. The $45 place charged $65 for each message reply after. Ended up worse than the $149 flat-fee clinic.
Not sure lab markup is always the villain. The $199 medspa may be drawing in-house, running controls, paying a phlebotomist, and covering no-show risk. Quest’s $38 quote is cash self-pay only; if the clinic uses a different requisition or panel code, it can balloon. I’d compare total first-year cost: intake, follow-ups, labs, whether they require an EKG or extra screening, and portal fees. Also ask who reads the results and whether follow-up is included or billed per message. The cheap intake can be a loss leader, but not always. I’ve seen that play out.
Cheap consult, then $79/mo refill club. No thanks.
Does anyone ask for the CPT codes before booking? That’s the only way I’ve found to compare labs apples to apples. Also state license matters—some cheap portals can’t send lab requisitions in my state.
CPT codes, yes. Last portal “discounted” lipid panel was $12 over lab cash price.
I ran the same math across four clinics and the six-month total flipped the ranking completely — the $45 intake ended up at $247 by month three after Quest billed $212 for a panel that didn't even include what the clinician ordered, plus a surprise $30 chart-review fee. The $199 medspa one I'd written off as a ripoff was the only place that handed me a written plan and a printed lab order I could carry anywhere, so when I moved apartments mid-year I didn't have to redo the whole setup. My actual tip if you keep the spreadsheet: add a column for "visits needed to get a refill" rather than just the intake row, because my cheap place wanted a paid check-in every 28 days and the "expensive" one did every 12 weeks, which is roughly $520 vs $400 a year on the same everything else. Where I'd push back on your framing is assuming normal labs mean you can skip paying for them — my last CMP was clean too and my eGFR was in the low 90s, but the cheap clinic still made me redo it before they'd continue, so I paid twice for the same normal result.
$45 every 90 days is worse than $149 once a year — I found that out the hard way because the cheap clinic I picked made everyone redo the whole questionnaire each quarter even when nothing had changed. What changed my mind was that the pricier intake actually earned some of its money: the nurse spent ten minutes on sleep, alcohol, and what my weekends look like, and I fessed up to 3-4 seltzers most nights, cut that to one, and dropped about a pound a week for the first three weeks without touching anything else. Now I keep a one-page note in my phone — Sunday weights, waist at the navel, anything weird that week, what I ate on the two bad days — and I read it off in the first two minutes of the visit, so my last one ran 11 minutes and nobody tacked on a follow-up charge. Worth asking before you pay anyone: if something needs adjusting between scheduled visits, is that a portal message, a quick call, or a whole new paid visit?
add a “cost per clinical touchpoint” column: intake, refill request, prior auth, lab review, and async portal questions. I tracked nine months and a cheap intake ended up with $10–$20 admin fees for refills and PA paperwork; the higher one bundled async follow-up. Ask if the intake fee is refundable if you’re not approved, and whether prior auth/refill submissions are included or a la carte. That’s what flipped my spreadsheet.
I track two extra columns: days-to-refill and days-to-lab-result. Dollars are easy; latency is where the cheap intake quietly bills you. My $60 clinic was ~9 days slower on refill requests than the $149 one, which at my effective hourly rate ate the savings by month three. Also log no-show/late-cancel fees and whether portal messages get billed—those flipped my ranking. Question: are you optimizing for lowest expected annual cost or lowest worst-case month? Those pick different providers.
I feel this—my spreadsheet got a ‘hassle’ column and the cheap option lost 😂
I added a column for “calendar tax”: the cheap intake was 15 min but only Tue/Thu 9–5, so it cost me 2 hours of PTO. At my effective hourly rate, that $45 became ~$145. The $199 place had evening slots, so the gap nearly vanished. Sharp follow-up: does the expensive intake actually include a separate lab-review touchpoint, or is that just bundled into the 30 minutes? If it’s bundled, your math changes again.
Adding a road-warrior column: “which state is my butt actually in?” I once tried a routine follow-up from an airport lounge two time zones away, and the clinic couldn’t see me because I wasn’t physically in my home state. Now I check whether they’re licensed where I’m traveling—or if I have to wait until I’m back. Also: does a phone visit count, or is video mandatory? That bit me more than the intake fee ever did. 😂
okay, but the missing column for me is “dorm-kitchen compatibility.” Cheap intake says Quest labs separately, fine, except the only draw site near campus closes at 4:30, and my dining hall closes 7–8. So I’m either paying $45 and then spending $18 on a sad protein shake + bus fare, or paying $199 for the fancy place that does labs same visit and saves me a whole afternoon. My spreadsheet now has “net cost after chaos.” Anyone else calculate the “I have no car and one bus line” surcharge? 😂
This is a very helpful way to compare. I track a similar column: cost per completed visit. The $45 intake only looked cheaper until I added the separate specimen collection fee, a possible second draw if a result needs repeating, and my time for another appointment. I average the total over 12 weeks, not just intake day. One question: does the $199 visit include a follow-up message or lab review, or is that billed separately? That detail moved my spreadsheet more than the headline fee.
Add a lab-logistics column: draw site, fasting window, and who absorbs the phlebotomy fee. My $50 intake turned into $118 after the send-out lab bill, parking, and a 40-minute round trip. The $199 bundled visit only pencils out if the draw is on-site and can happen same trip. Are you normalizing for that, or just sticker price? Also worth tracking: whether the clinician orders a fixed panel or itemizes—fixed bundles reduce decision fatigue but can pad the bill with tests you don’t need.
The column I’d add is “what voids the intake.” Some cheap places make you re-pay or re-intake if you pause, switch pharmacies, or need a plan change; the $199 one might be one-time onboarding and every follow-up is another charge. I lift 4x and track protein/sleep, so I’m treating this as recomp logistics, not a shortcut. Sharp question for OP: does the expensive intake fee get credited toward the first follow-up, or is it sunk cost? That 3-month math matters more than the $45 vs $199 sticker.
Column I’d add: continuity cost. A cheap intake can get expensive fast if there’s a monthly platform fee, refill request fee, or a charge to pause for travel. I also ask how hard it is to get records sent to a local provider if I move or the telehealth thing stops working for me. Track total cost through month six, not just visit one. That’s the column that would’ve saved me the most annoyance in maintenance.
The column I’d add is time-to-response after intake. My $55 intake was cheap, but portal replies took 2–4 days; the $149 place answered same morning. With two kids and chaotic evenings, that lag is the difference between me sticking to my plan and raiding the snack drawer. Also look at reschedule policy—one cheap clinic canceled twice and I had to rebook 10 days out. Are you logging total time spent, not just fees? That’s the number that actually predicts whether I stay with a provider.
i’d add a “credited toward first month?” column. two clinics near me had the same $60 intake, but one applied it to the first month and the other didn’t, so the cheap one was actually +$60. also watch for separate async refill/portal fees—mine was $15 a message, which i only caught reconciling my card at 2am lol. random q: do you count intake fees
Ugh, the fine print is the real fee—did any of them say what triggers another intake charge?
Login to reply to this thread.
Login / Sign up