Telehealth cost audit: my $612 total after 14 weeks — what’s missing?

Sep 3 1695 views 12 posts

Worth knowing before comparing options: the part people forget is that a 14-week telehealth plan adds up fast — $49 intake, $79/mo ×4, $120 labs at week 6, $89 follow-up, $38 shipping = $612. The labs on that sheet were ferritin 38, TSH 2.1, hematocrit 45. Common surprise: the real work is laying tele vs local medspa vs PCP + cash labs side by side in columns, because the sticker price almost never tells the whole story. So what line items do people forget? Not looking for sources, just trying to see whether $612 over 14 weeks is normal or if there are hidden costs that don't show up until you're already in it.

👍 3 ❤️ 2

Your $120 lab at week 6 seems high. I pay $38 cash at a local draw site if I bring the requisition. Are you including the tele read fee?

👍 2 ❤️ 2

Local medspa quoted me $250 just for the consult, so your $89 follow-up isn’t crazy. The markup is in the bundled labs.

Did you include repeat labs? That’s what blew mine up.

Repeat labs are the hidden killer. Every 8 weeks the first quarter, then they wanted another at week 16.

Worth knowing before comparing options: all-in, the monthly number tends to land around $99 with labs billed through insurance, and the prior auth wait runs about 3 weeks. Common surprise there — the paperwork ends up being the real bottleneck, not the cost.

Insurance covered my labs but denied the tele consult twice. Took 4 weeks and two appeals. I’d rather pay cash next time.

👍 1

Cash beat my deductible, so I stopped using insurance for labs.

👍 1 ❤️ 1

State line issue: my provider couldn’t see me after I moved, so I ate a new intake fee.

Medspa near me bundles labs but marks up the draw 3x. Not worth it if you can get a cash lab req.

👍 1

Someone built a similar sheet after a $51 shipping charge showed up on a quote. The 14-week total landed at $741: intake $60, two follow-ups $150, labs $180, pharmacy quote $300, shipping $51. Shipping is the line everyone forgets.

Worth knowing before comparing local medspas: ask whether the lab draw is included or billed by an outside lab, and whether the follow-up is bundled into the monthly fee. One platform had $0 follow-up but a higher pharmacy quote; another had a cheaper pharmacy quote but nickel-and-dimed every lab. The cheapest sticker wasn't the cheapest total.

I’d add travel/time. Medspa is 40 min each way for me; tele is 10 min but labs still in person.

👍 1