Small win: jeans from 2022 finally zip without a fight

Sep 30 2056 views 11 posts

Three weeks back on track after regaining almost everything I lost two years ago. I was not expecting a win this fast, honestly. This morning I pulled out a pair of jeans I shoved to the back of the drawer in 2023 because they were uncomfortable even standing up, and they zipped. Not loose. Not even all that comfortable sitting down. But zipped.

What I changed was boring: protein at breakfast instead of just coffee, a walk after dinner most nights, and actually logging what I eat even when the number embarrasses me. Six out of seven days, not perfect. The scale has barely moved, which is why I needed this today.

Two years ago I would have called this too small to count. Now I'll take it.

What's the smallest thing that kept you going this week?

👍 4 ❤️ 1

honestly congrats — the seated zip is the real boss level. I’m a broke dorm kid, so my NSV tracker is a pair of $8 thrift Levi’s I hang on the closet door; if they dig into my ribs when I bend over to microwave rice, I know I’m puffy. Random question: did the jeans loosen up before the scale moved, or were both being dramatic at the same time? I’m trying to care less about daily weigh-ins because the dorm scale lives in the laundry room next to a guy doing 2 a.m. towels.

👍 6 ❤️ 1

Nice. I’m the nerd with a spreadsheet, so I’ll add one mildly annoying observation: jeans are a lagging indicator. My scale stalled for 9 days in Feb, but my waist at navel went 38.25 → 37.5 and hip 44 → 43.25. The jeans didn’t zip until ~2 weeks

👍 3 ❤️ 1

Good. Don’t trust morning jeans too much. Night shift will humble you. I keep one pair of work pants as a checkpoint. Same time, same hydration, once a week. Before shift, not after. After a 12, I’m puffy from salty food and too much coffee. So I’d test those jeans again after a normal day, not a zombie shift. Did they still zip after a real meal? That’s the next benchmark.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

i keep a pair of 2021 cargo shorts as my checkpoint pair. last week i could button them but only standing. this week i wore them to the gas station at 2am and the waistband didn’t dig in while driving. the weird thing that helped was swapping my late-night soda for

👍 8 ❤️ 2

Congrats on the zip! I’m brand new here—only week one—and still figuring out what’s normal. The one thing I’ve started tracking is which belt hole I use after a normal day, not first thing. It’s less emotionally loaded than the scale for me, and it feels like a tiny clue. Do clothing wins usually show up before the tape measure, or is it totally random? Sitting down is the real test, so I’m impressed you’re counting it at all. I’m trying to be patient and not dig out my old “maybe someday” bin yet.

👍 6

Zipped but not sit-down comfortable is such a specific phase—it means you’re close, not done. One thing that helped me in maintenance: measure your waist at the same spot once a month with a soft tape, because denim is a liar. Cotton percentage, dryer heat, even humidity can change the fit by an inch. Those 2022 jeans are a great emotional win, but the tape tells the boring, honest story. Do they have much stretch? If not, that zip is even more impressive.

👍 7 ❤️ 2

Congrats — that’s a genuinely useful non-scale win. The one thing I’d add: I stopped trusting the scale’s day-to-day swings and started a simple tape log instead. Same morning, after bathroom, before coffee: navel, widest hip, upper thigh. Weekly average, not daily. If I have a salty dinner or a heavy carb day, the scale can jump 2–3 lbs overnight while the tape stays flat — in the trials, fat loss is slow and noisy, so early clothes changes can be part fluid too. Still, a zipper that closes is real data. Does the waistband or the thighs tend to change first for you?

👍 5 ❤️ 1

Honestly, congrats — the zip is such a weirdly emotional milestone, isn’t it? The one thing helping me more than the scale is a weekly photo in the same ratty tank top, plus a little note about how my after-dinner walk felt. This week I noticed I wasn’t stopping halfway up our street to pretend I was checking my phone. Since you’re only three weeks in, I’m curious: have your walks or cooking changed yet in a way you didn’t plan? Mine did — I’ve become weirdly devoted to roasting a sheet pan of vegetables on Sundays so there’s something easy when 5 p.m. hits and I’m tempted to graze.

👍 3 ❤️ 1

Nice! The zip phase is weirdly motivating. One thing that helped me: I keep a fabric tape measure in the snack drawer, not the bathroom, and measure my waist once a week before I raid the kids’ goldfish. The number moves slower than jeans, but it catches bloat vs. real changes. Did you notice the zip more in the morning? My midsection is a totally different shape before coffee and after school pickup.

That zip is a huge deal — especially after a regain. Congrats! One thing that helped me stop obsessing over daily bloat was checking my waistband after a normal dinner instead of first thing in the morning; morning me is always more optimistic. What’s one habit from your first go-round that you’re glad you picked back up? I’m asking for selfish reasons — I’m trying to make my own restart stick, and so far my only non-negotiables are a protein-ish breakfast and a 10-minute walk after lunch. Keep us psted on the next zip!