I’m 43F, 5’6”, down 28 lb in 18 weeks. Weight has been 212.0–212.8 for four straight weeks. I log Monday–Friday tightly, but Sat/Sun I stop weighing food; I estimate 2,300–2,600 cal vs 1,700 weekdays. Strength 3x/week, 8–10k steps. Labs: fasting glucose 104→94, A1c 5.6→5.3, LDL 128→112. Waist hasn’t moved in a month. Is this weekend creep, or should I expect a whoosh? What data would you track to tell the difference?
Stuck at 212 for 4 Weeks—Are Weekends Erasing My Deficit?
Could be both. Wekeend sodium masks fat loss, and after 28 lb your deficit is smaller. I’d compare weekly averages for two more weeks before changing anything.
Pre-logging showed my “small” restaurant meals were 1,200 cal before drinks.
Pre-log wto weekend meals before you eat them.
The whoosh thing happened to me after a 5-week stall. Scale dropped 3 lb in 4 days, then normal. I was definately not estimating weekends accurately.
I disagree that weekends are the main suspect if waist and scale are both flat. A 2,300–2,600 day can still be maintenance at 212 if activity dropped. I’d look at steps, sleep, and hunger for a week before blaming just Sat/Sun.
Sleep is my plateau trigger. Under 6 hours wrecks my appetite.
What does your weekly average look like? Daily weights can hide a slow trend if you only compare same-day numbers.
I get the weekend theory, but four weeks of flat waist and scale sounds like more than water. After 28 lb, your maintenance is lower, so the same weekdays may no longer create much deficit. I’d track weekly averages, not daily weigh-ins, for two weeks. If weekdays still trend down and weekends rebound, it’s weekend creep. If both are flat, it’s the deficit itself. Also, your labs improving while weight stalls means the trend isn’t bad. I’d be slow to change anything drastic yet. Maybe give it another 10–14 days before deciding.
Labs improving is the real win here. I’d take that over a scale drop.
Waist same too? If lifts are up, this could be recomp.
I had the same pattern. Weighing Saturday and Sunday mornings showed my Monday number was always 2–3 lb higher from sodium and food volume.
The weekend estimate is where I’d start. An extra 600–900 cal Sat and Sun is about 1,200–1,800/week, which can hide a 0.3–0.5 lb weekly loss.
Four weeks flat with labs improving and no waist cange smells like weekend creep, not a whoosh.
I’d do a 14-day experiment where Saturday and Sunday get logged exactly like Monday, including oils, bites, and drinks, then compare your 7-day average instead of daily weigh-ins. Also measure waist at the same spot after bathroom before coffee; I stalled at 209 for 31 days and my weekly average was 300 cal higher than I thought.
@questioning_quinn said: I stalled at 209 for 31 days and my weekly average was 300 cal higher than I thought.
Yeah, for me the missing data was sleep: under 6 hours for five nights put 2.3 lb on the scale with identical food. If you’re strength training 3x and walking 8–10k, a rough sleep/stress week can hide fat loss via water. I’d track bedtime, wake time, and maybe resting heart rate for 10 days before changing calories. Are you sleeping worse lately or extra stressed at work?
The tape can lie if you’re measuring after a salty weekend or at a different spot; I’d use one pair of jeans and shirt as a weekly benchmark. I stalled at 212 for five weeks, then a pair of old 36s suddenly buttoned while scale stayed same for another 9 days. Also take front/side photos in same light every Sunday. If jeans and photos are unchanged for another 3 weeks, then I’d tighten weekends.
Your weekend math doesn't actually explain it: 5×1,700 + 2×2,450 = 13,400, a 1,914 daily average, which is still a real deficit. The likelier culprit is the weekday side. I logged "tightly" for months before I actually weighed the oil I cooked in and the handfuls of nuts while making dinner — that was 250-300 cal/day I wasn't seeing. And your deficit shrank on its own: what you burned at 240 lb isn't what you burn at 212, so the same 1,700 that gave you 1.5 lb/week now gives you maybe 0.7. Four flat weeks at that average isn't a mystery, it's a thinner margin. I'd stop eyeballing daily numbers and compare 10-day average weights instead, then give it two more weeks before changing anything. If the average is still flat, the food side is the answer, not a whoosh.
Not a whoosh person, honestly. Mine never whooshed — I'd wobble for three or four weeks and then drop 2 lb over a random Tuesday and Wednesday for no reason. What actually told me I was still losing when the scale sat at 205 was a pair of jeans I couldn't button in January and a shirt collar that suddenly had room. Waist stalls for weeks because bloat parks itself there; a size doesn't lie for a month straight.
Four flat weeks while glucose and LDL both improved? The scale is the last thing to get the memo, not the first.
I'll disagree about waiting for a whoosh: three lifting days a week can absolutely hold the scale hostage. When I added a third session at 190, I sat at 189–190.5 for five straight weeks, then dropped 3.4 lb in nine days without changing a thing I ate. Muscle repair pulls water, and a hard session can add 1-3 lb of temporary fluid that's still there on a Tuesday morning; stack a salty weekend on top and you're masking two weeks at a time. What I'd watch instead: whether your working weights and reps are creeping up, how sleep and resting heart rate look, and whether pants you wore in week 12 fit differently. Lifts up, sleep fine, clothes looser? You're not stalled, you're just not showing it on the scale yet.
If you want the boring answer, run the actual numbers before you change anything. Five days at 1,700 plus two at 2,450 averages about 1,915 a day, not 1,700. At your size that's maybe a 200-300 daily deficit, which is 0.2-0.3 lb a week, and that's smaller than a Saturday of salty takeout water. So you're probably not stalled, you're moving at a speed four weeks of scale noise can hide. What I'd track: one full weekend with the food actually weighed, plus your Sunday night and Monday morning weights side by side, so you can see how much of Monday's bump is sodium and not fat.
My weekend estimation was off by roughly 600 calories every single time, and it was almost never the food, it was the oil and the drinks. I logged a Saturday brunch at 800, then recreated the plate at home with the amount of oil a diner actually uses and it came out near 1,450. Two days of that is 1,200 a week you never see. What worked was weighing only two things on weekends: any fat I cook with or pour, and anything I drink. Everything else stays eyeballed. My Saturdays went from 2,600 to about 2,000 without feeling like a diet.
Weigh Saturday morning and Monday morning, and compare those two, not Monday to Friday.
Sleep is what breaks my flat stretches every time. I run 5.5-hour nights during busy season and the scale sits dead for weeks, then I get 7+ consistently and it starts moving again. If your weekends are also your late nights and messy Sunday evenings, that's worth a lok before cutting more food.
Four weeks flat isn’t crazy if you recently bumped lifting volume or started creatine—glycogen/water can mask fat loss. In the trials, meds don’t override energy balance, but water swings confuse the scale. Have you changed your strength program or added more salt/alcohol on weekends? That can show up as a flat scale and flat-ish waist. What helped me: 7-day average weight, plus waist at the same spot, fasted, after bathroom, 2–3 days in a row. Quick math check: (5×1,700)+(2×2,450)=13,400, ~1,914/day. If your true TDEE is near that, you’re at maintenance, not a deficit.
Tbh One thing I didn’t see yet: are your weekend meals restaurant/takeout-heavy, salty, or with alcohol? That combo can keep the scale and waist puffy for days and make a real deficit look like a plateau. I started tracking a 7-day average instead of Mon–Fri perfection, then using Wednesday morning as my “clean” weigh-in. Also, my weekends used to quietly drop to 4k steps and zero lifting, which nuked most of my weekly deficit. If your weekly average is only slightly under maintenance, two bigger days can absolutely stall the scale even while labs improve.
One thing that helped me bust a plateau was keeping my weekday breakfast and lunch almost identical on weekends, then only estimating dinner. I also took a photo of every plate—no logging, just visual. It showed my “bites while cooking,” oils, dressings, and restaurant extras were way bigger than I thought. Could you run a one-weekend experiment: eat your normal weekend foods, but weigh just the calorie-dense add-ons (oils, cheese, sauces, drinks)? That’ll tell you if the 2,300–2,600 estimate is real. Also, what does a typical Saturday look like—eating out, alcohol, salty takeout, or more grazing?
I stalled for five weeks at a similar point. My weekend “estimates” were the culprit—not the total calories, but the hidden stuff: oils, dressings, bites while cooking, and drinks. When I weighed just one weekend day, my 2,400 estimate was really closer to 3,200. I didn’t overhaul weekends; I just tracked Saturday accurately
run the weekly math: 5×1,700 + 2×2,450 = 13,400, or ~1,914/day. If maintenance is ~2,100–2,200, that’s only a 200–300 kcal/day deficit—0.4
Tbh One thing I’d check: weekend estimates often miss liquid calories and cooking fats. Alcohol, oils, dressings, and “tastes” can add 300–500/day without feeling like meals, so your 2,300–2,600 might really be closer to 2,800+. I’d log just those for one weekend and see if the weekday/weekend gap shrinks. Also, is your waist measured at the same spot/time? A salty, carb-heavy Sunday can hold water for a few days and mask fat loss. In my n=1, the scale stalled while my waist eventually moved, but only once I stopped guessing restaurant oils.
First, 28 lb is a huge win. Quick question: what do your weekend step counts look like vs weekdays? That was my sneaky plateau—Sat/Sun I’d drop from 9k to 3k plus salty takeout, and Monday I’d be up 2 lb of water that lingered till Wednesday. Since your waist is flat too, I’d do a 2-week test: keep weekdays as-is, hit your 8–10k both weekend days, and weigh Saturday AM vs Monday AM. If Monday’s bump is gone by midweek, it’s water masking progress; if not, it’s likely the weekend total. Are weekends also higher sodium/alcohol for you?
Road warrior here too, so I feel this. My scale loves to fake a plateau after hotel/restaurant weekends—sodium and travel carbs hold water for 3–4 days, and Monday looks like a crime scene. What helped me: I stopped weighing Mon/Tue and instead compared the same weekday morning (like Wednesday) week to week. Also measure waist before breakfast, exhale, same spot—mine didn't move for a month, then dropped 1.5" in 10 days once bloat cleared. Sharp question: are your lifts still going up? If yes, you may be losing fat while retaining water/muscle. If lifts are flat too, then it's worth tightening Saturday. Either way, don't let a hotel waffle iron gaslight you.
Four weeks at the same number isn't a stall yet, especially lifting 3x. I sat at 187 for five weeks, then dropped 4 lbs in ten days — the scale was holding weekend water the whole time. Concrete thing to try: stop comparing single weigh-ins and compare 10-day rolling averages. Pull your last 40 days of weights and compare days 1–10 against days 31–40. Down even half a pound? You're still losing and weekends are just noise. Flat? Then the weekend surplus is bigger than you think, and the fix isn't a perfect weekday — it's two slightly dialed-back weekend days. Also measure your waist first thing, pre-coffee, same spot; mine moved about two weeks after the scale did.
Night shift here. Are you weighing at the same point in your sleep/wake cycle? My Monday weigh-ins looked stuck because weekend sleep timing shifted water and gut contents, not fat. Try 10 days of daily weights, then compare 7-day averages, not single days. Also tape your waist at the same spot, fasted, after exhale. If the 7-day average is flat for 3 weeks and waist is flat, it’s not just weekend creep. If the average drops midweek and spikes Sunday/Monday, it’s timing/water. Labs moving the right way is a good sign.
Tbh Small-town pharmacy counter gal here—when I stalled, the clue was my Monday vs. Friday morning weight. If I was up 2–3 lb Monday but back to Friday’s number by Wednesday, that was weekend sodium/carbs/water, not four weeks of fat. The waist tape told the truth, though. Are you measuring same time, same spot, after exhaling? Also, what does your Monday weight usually look like compared with Friday? That pattern can tell you if weekends are truly erasing the deficit or just muddying the scale. Hang in there—28 lb is no small thing.
Just do the math on your own numbers: 1,700×5 + 2,450×2 = ~1,914/day average. If your maintenance is ~2,100–2,200, that’s only a 200–300/day deficit—about 0.4–0.6 lb/week. Weekend sodium/carbs plus lifting water retention can easily hide that for 4 weeks, especially with waist flat. I’d track weekly average instead of daily, and take waist/hip measurements fasted, sae spot, once a week. What’s your actual weekly average coming out to?
Fellow broke dorm dweller here. Before you blame weekends, test the weekends themselves: for two weeks, log Sat/Sun like weekdays—or at least one anchor meal. My cheap-protein go-to is microwave rice + canned chicken/tuna + frozen veg + hot sauce. If Sunday night is actually 3,200 instead of 2,450, mystery solved. If it’s really ~2,450, it might be water/glycogen from sodium/carbs masking fat loss, and the scale can lag your waist by a couple weeks. Sharp question: are your weekend estimates from social days out, or chill dorm days? Those can differ by 800 calories easy, and social days are where my “estimates” get real creative.
Cafe owner here, so I get the weekend creep. My 4-week stall broke when I started logging the “invisible” stuff: spoon licks, broken pastries, latte milk, olive oil/butter at home. I took phone pics of every weekend plate and drink before eating, then logged Sunday night. My “2,400” weekends were really closer to 2,900. Waist finally moved once weekends looked more like weekdays. Quick q: are your weekend estimates including oils, sauces, and drinks—not just the food? Those were my hidden 400–500/day.
I run a cafe, so I feel this. My 5-week stall was mostly weekend “tastes”—a bite of scone, spoon of dressing, finishing a kid’s plate—none logged. When I started pre-plating my own weekend food and snapping a photo before eating, those days dropped by ~300 cal without feeling deprived. Higher weekend sodium/carbs can also make Monday look stuck while fat is still moving. Are you eating out or grazing while cooking on weekends? That’s where my hidden 200–400/day lived.
not a math answer, but a pattern check: what’s the composition of those weekend 2,400-ish calories? For me, restaurant meals + salty carbs + a drink or two would show up as 2–3 lb of water by Monday even in a true deficit, and my waist stayed puffy for days. Try a 2-weekend experiment: don’t change weekdays, but photograph every weekend
Dorm rat here, so my weekend kryptonite is cheap-protein density: peanut butter, cheese, granola, protein bars. I can eyeball 400 cal as 700 without blinking. One thing that helped my 4-week stall: I only weighed the “sneaky” stuff on Sat/Sun—oil, nut butter, dressing, cheese—and let rice/veggies stay estimated. Less tedious, way more accurate. Sharp Q: are your weekends notably saltier/carbier than weekdays? If yes, that scale number might be water/glycogen bloat hiding fat loss, especially if your waist is stuck too. My dining-hall pizza nights used to fake a 2-lb gain till midweek.
same vibe, my weekend soda-swap turned into “just one” and the monday scale stayed petty for weeks lol
Tbh for me the stall breaker wasn’t tightening weekends—it was adding one “anchor” meal Sat/Sun: same protein/veg base I eat weekdays, then whatever else. Kept the weekend vibe but killed the 800-cal swing. Also measured waist at navel every Sunday before coffee; it moved before the scale did. Are your weekend estimates including drinks, oils, and nibbles while cooking? Thse were my sneaky 300–500.
i’d look at weekend composition, not just the estimated total. My own 4-week stall turned out to be two restaurant meals + wine: the sodium/carbs had me holding 2–3 lb until midweek, and my waist even looked puffier. Try a no-food-weighing experiment for two weekends: just jot down restaurant/takeout meals, alcohol, and anything really salty, otherwise eat normally. Are your weekends mostly eating out/drinking, or home food you’re just eyeballing? If it’s the former, your average may still be a deficit but water can hide it. Do your rings feel tighter Sunday night?
I’d add one column to your log: cycle day + waist measured at the exact same spot. At 43, my luteal week can add 2–3 lb and ~0.5 inch even when calories are identical, then it vanishes 2–3 days after my period. Four weeks is long enough that you might be comparing 212 in one phase to 212 in another. Are you tracking where you are in your cycle? If not, I’d check that before assuming weekends erased the deficit.
I’d check weekend movement before blaming the food math. My stall broke when I compared actual Sat/Sun step counts to weekdays—mine were 3–4k vs 9k, and that alone can wipe out a few hundred calories/day. Are your 8–10k steps a 7-day average, or just Mon–Fri? Also, if weekends include more restaurant meals/alcohol, expect water retention to mask fat loss for a bit. I’d keep logging weekdays, add a quick weekend step/alcohol note for two weeks, and judge by the 3-week average + waist, not Monday’s number. Four weeks flat after 28 lb is often a pause, not a reversal.
Weekend creep is just unlogged data. Log it for 2 weeks and the mystery solves itself.
I’d look at weekend protein and sodium/alcohol before blowing up your whole plan. When I stalled for a month, my Sat/Sun protein dropped to ~80g and restaurant meals pushed sodium way up; scale froze, lifts held. Try two weekends keeping protein within 20g of weekdays, one restaurant meal max, and log only drinks/cooking oils. Then measure waist Wednesday fasted, not Monday, so weekend water isn’t mucking it up. What’s your weekend protein and step count actually look like?
Tbh hi, I’m only week one so take this with a grain of salt, but I’ve been lurking and this thread is helping me. A concrete thing I’m trying: I photograph every plate/drink before I eat on weekends, then Monday compare photos to my weekday portions. It’s less math and caught my “handful” of nuts and dressing. Sharp question: are those 2,300–2,600 weekends mostly restaurant/takeout or home cooking? That changes whethr hidden oils/sauces could be sneaking in. Sorry if obvious!
your labs and 28 lb are genuinely big wins—don’t lose sight of that during a 4-week scale stall. What helped me was tracking weekend timing more than calories. I’d graze from 2–8 pm, so a real lunch at 1 pm cut my evening estimate by ~300 without feeling restricted. Do yor weekends have a long no-meal stretch like that? Also, are you weighing at the same time after the same weekday routine? Monday weights can still carry weekend sodium/carb water. I started comparing 7-day averages instead of single days, and it made the pattern much clearer.
Contrarian take: weekends may not be the whole story. I ran your numbers: 5×1,700 + 2×2,450 = 13,400, or 1,914/day. With your stats and 8–10k steps plus lifting, that’s probably still a small deficit, not maintenance. My 5-week flatline at 187 broke only after I started tracking a 7-day rolling average and waist at the same spot, same time, post-bathroom, pre-coffee. Scale was flat; navel finally dropped 1.25” the week before weight moved. What’s your 7-day rolling average and waist trend? If both are truly flat for 4 weeks, your weekend estimates are probably 400–600/day low, not the weekday logging.
Login to reply to this thread.
Login / Sign up