Scale stuck 3 weeks at 172 after 18 lb loss—whoosh or refeed?

Sep 26 4494 views 58 posts

I'm 12 weeks into a moderate deficit, down 18.2 lb from 190.4 to 172.2. Waist is down 3.25 inches, strength mostly holding, but the scale hasn't moved in 19 days. Fasting glucose went 96 to 88, LDL 132 to 118, so something is working. I walk 8k steps and lift 3x/week. I'm debating a higher-carb day versus just adding 2k steps. Anyone seen a whoosh after a refeed? Or is this just water from creatine?

The waist and lab changes are the real signal. Scale can be flat while fat loss continues. Creatine can mask water shifts, so I wouldn't change everything at once.

👍 1

I had a 21-day flatline at 168 then dropped 2.8 lb overnight after a sushi-and-rice dinner. Not saying it was magic, but the whoosh was real for me.

👍 1 ❤️ 1

Did your lifts go up or down during the flat 19 days? That tells me more than the scale.

👍 2

Adding 2k steps did nothing for my scale for 2 weeks, then my weekly average finally moved. I'd vote steps over a refeed first.

👍 3 ❤️ 1

I'd vote the opposite. A planned higher-carb day broke my 4-week stall, mostly because I slept better and trained harder after it.

👍 2

Sleep is underrated. But if the higher-carb day made you sleep better, was it the carbs or just eating more?

For me it was eating more. Diet breaks helped adherence, not metabolism. The whoosh came later when I went back to deficit.

👍 1

That glucose/LDL improvement is a better progress marker than the scale. Mine improved before my weight moved again.

👍 1

What changed around week 10? If creatine is in the mix, water can hide 2-4 lb of fat loss. I'd pick one variable for 10-14 days, either +2k steps or a higher-carb day, and keep protein and lifting steady. Track waist and weekly average weight. Refeeds helped my adherence, but the whoosh was sodium/carb water, not extra fat. The trend matters. If you're weighing daily, look at the 7-day average. If you're weighing weekly, one high-sodium meal can ruin the reading. Also, if you menstruate, cycle water can hide 2-3 weeks of fat loss. Not saying that's your case, just another variable. I'd not panic at 19 days with those lab changes.

👍 2

I stalled at almost exactly the same spot, 171-173 after 17 down, and the thing that broke it wasn't a rfeed — it was actually logging my weekends for once. I'd been tracking Mon-Fri like a champ and then eyeballing Friday night through Sunday, which turned out to be roughly 500-700 extra calories a day. Once I logged two full weeks including weekends, the deficit was real again and the scale moved within 10 days. Worth a look before you change anything else.

👍 1

Sleep is my sneaky one. In my last long flat stretch — 2.5 weeks stuck at 164 — I was averaging about 5.5 hours because of a work deadline, and the day after I finally got two solid 8-hour nights back to back, I dropped 2.8 lb in three days. Nothing else changed, same food, same lifting. If your sleep or stress has been garbage lately, that's a cheaper experiment than a refeed.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

Honestly I'd skip the refeed first and just do the steps. Two thousand extra steps is maybe 80-100 calories, which sounds like nothing, but over 19 days that's a real nudge and it doesn't come with the 3-4 lb water bounce a big carb day can hand you. I did a refeed at a similar spot and spent four days watching the scale creep up before anything happened. Boring wins.

👍 1

Three weeks flat at 18 lb down is honestly just what the middle of a cut looks like, in my experience. I lost 22 lb over about five months and had three separate flats that lasted 16-21 days, and each one ended with a 2-3 lb drop inside 48 hours with zero changes to my food or training. The trap I fell into was panicking at day 14 of each flat and throwing a refeed or a cheat day at it, which just added water and made me feel like I'd broken something. What helped me stay sane was weighing under identical conditions — same time, after the bathroom, before coffee — and only comparing 7-day averages instead of single days. Your glucose dropping 96 to 88 and 3.25 inches off the waist tell me you're not actually stalled. If anything I'd hold the plan another 10 days before changing a thing.

I stalled at almost the same spot and it wasn’t water from creatine—it was my food scale drifting. I’d stopped weighing oils, nut butters, and the handful of stuff while cooking. Ten days of re-weighing everything showed ~230 extra calories a day. Eight days later the scale dropped 1.8 lb overnight. Before you change anything, audit your condiments and bites for a week; that boring check saved my deficit.

👍 1

Waist down 3.25 inches at 18 lb is a better trend than any whoosh. I’d trust the tape over the scale.

👍 2

Weekends are my stall gremlin—two salty dinners and I’m flat for 6-7 days even in a deficit.

👍 1 ❤️ 1

Creatine water is usually a one-time 2-4 lb bump, not a 19-day freeze. If you’ve been on it the whole time, that’s not your culprit.

👍 9 ❤️ 2

Check your sleep before you touch the carbs. I stalled 17 days at 168 and it turned out I was averaging 5h50m thanks to a work crunch. Two weeks back at 7.5h and I dropped 2.3 lb with zero diet change. Bad sleep plus lifting 3x a week is basically a water-retention machine. Worth logging sleep next to your weigh-ins for a week.

👍 1

A carb refeed did nothing for me the way people describe it. I ran a higher-carb day two weeks in a row, around 250g instead of my usual 120, and the scale went up 1.8 lb, ten another 0.6, and took four days to come back down. Net over that fortnight was basically flat. What actually broke my longest stall was a deload week, cutting lifting volume about 40%, plus pushing protein to 1g per pound for ten days. Scale dropped 2.6 lb over six days after that. I think whooshes are real but they're timing, not the carb day itself.

👍 3

19 days is a Tuesday. Longest flat stretch in the log was 34 days, then 3.1 lb gone in five.

👍 1

I'll be contrarian: adding 2k steps did nothing for me. Went from 9k to 11.5k for three weeks at near-identical intake and the scale moved 0.6 lb total. What did move it was changing the lifting itself, same 3x a week but swapping higher reps for heavier sets of 5 on squats and deads, lost 3 lb over the next month and my fasting glucose dipped a few points too. How long are your sessions? If you're in and out in 35 minutes, there's room to add work before you add walking.

👍 3

Mine stalled 16 days then dropped 2.4 overnight after a weirdly high-sodium takeout weekend. Bodies are trolls.

👍 6 ❤️ 1

If waist is still shrinking at 172, the scale is just late to the meeting. Trust the tape.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

I was the guy who swore sleep was overrated, then tracked it for a month: 5.5 hours average during a 24-day stall, then 7.5-8 for a week after a work trip ended and the scale finally moved 2.1 lb. My lifts actually felt easier before the drop, which was the weird part—I thought I was losing muscle because the bar felt heavy, but it was just accumulated fatigue. Also, if you're on creatine, I hold about 2-3 lb of water from it and my weight chart basically flatlines until it doesn't. What helped me was comparing same-day-of-week weights and a 10-day rolling average instead of daily numbers; the trend line was still going down 0.15 lb/week even during the 'stall.' Waist and glucose moving like yours is the real signal, honestly.

👍 5 ❤️ 2

Have you recalculated maintenance at 172? Losing 18 lb can shave 150–250 cal off daily burn, so your old deficit may now be maintenance-ish. That happened to me: stall at 174 for 3 weeks, then I kept calories the same but added a 15-min walk after dinner and actually weighed/measured weekends. Turns out my "deficit" was disappearing Fri–Sun. Dropped 2 lb over the next 8 days. Not a whoosh, just closed the leak. If you try the carb day, track the weekly average, not the next morning.

👍 7 ❤️ 1

stuck 21 days around 174 after ~20 down. what moved it wasn’t a full refeed, it was front-loading carbs around my 3 lifting days (rice/potato at lunch) and keeping other days the same. scale blipped up 1.5 for 2-3 days then dropped 2.0. also started doing 10 min walks after my late gaming meals instead of chasing 2k extra steps. if you’re up late, maybe last meal timing is the variable, not total carbs. when do you usually lift vs eat your biggest carb meal?

👍 2 ❤️ 1

Before adding carbs or steps, check your input signal. I’d plot a 7-day median, same wake time, post-bathroom, pre-food/water, and compare that median, not daily weights. A 19-day flat daily line can still be a 0.5–1 lb median drop if variance shifted. If the median is genuinely flat, 2k steps for 10–14 days is the cleaner experiment: it changes energy out and leaves the refeed variable untouched. If gym performance/adherence is sliding, refeed. Which are you seeing—median flat, or just scale noise?

👍 3 ❤️ 1

Before you add steps or carbs, look at training stress. I’ve had identical stalls at ~20 lb down: lifts felt fine but sleep latency crept up, HRV flat, and my 8k steps became 6.5k without noticing. A 4-5 day deload—same calories, same protein, just cut volume ~40%—usually gives me a 1.5-2 lb drop by day 6. If that doesn’t move it, then I’d add the 2k steps. How’s your sleep and step average this week vs. three weeks ago?

👍 1

Fellow broke dorm rat here. When I stalled, it was usually dining-hall sodium: those “grilled” chicken patties and canned beans had me holding water like a camel. I swapped one meal for a microwave mug omelet (2 eggs + cottage cheese + frozen spinach, ~$1.10) and a packet tuna with mustard, and the scale dropped 1.8 lb over 3 days. Not a whoosh, just less brine. Have you tried tracking sodium for a week? Also, are you eating the same dorm chicken every day? Sometimes a boring food rotation hides a 500mg sodium swing.

👍 5

Before you change anything: what’s your training volume trend? If you’ve added reps/sets, muscle glycogen + inflammation can hold 2–4 lb water. I stalled 20 days at 168; scale only moved after a deload week and consistent 7h sleep, not a refeed. If recovery is fine, add the 2k steps for 10–14 days

👍 6

Before a refeed, I’d check sleep and life stress. I’ve had 3-week scale stalls mid-recomp where waist kept dropping but sleep was 5.5–6h and work was chaotic. Daily weights were useless; weekly averages + waist told the real story. If you do add carbs, put them around your hardest lower session and keep protein/fiber high—random carb days just made me retain water and panic. What’s your current sleep average? If lifts are progressing and waist is still shrinking, I’d hold another 7–10 days before adding steps.

👍 2 ❤️ 2

I’d check sleep and stress before adding either. My 3-week stalls almost always lined up with crappy sleep or a work crunch—resting HR up 5–6 bpm, then a whoosh after two solid ret nights. Extra steps when I’m already run down just keep me puffy and hungry. If you track HRV or resting HR, has it drifted up while the scale’s flat? Also, do you compare 7-day averages or just daily weights? That helped me stop reacting to noise.

👍 6 ❤️ 2

Honestly, Hi! I’m brand new here (week one, so zero expert), but have you looked at sleep and digestion? My long stalls line up with bad sleep and being constipated, not the deficit itself. A few

👍 6 ❤️ 1

Fellow 172-plateau survivor. What actually broke mine wasn’t a refeed or more steps—it was weighing oils, nut butters, and “a splash” of creamer for one week. I was accidentally eating ~250 cal/day over what I thought, basically wiping out the deficit. Fixed that, trendline dropped 1.7 lb over 6 days. If your waist is still shrinking and lifts are holding, I’d audit the boring stuff before changing cardio. Are you logging weekends the same way? That’s where my stall lived.

👍 7 ❤️ 2

One thing I track when the scale flatlines: overnight urine output and morning rings/socks. If I’m holding water, I’ll see puffiness and lower output, then a whoosh after a high-sleep, lower-stress night. Also, 19 days is long enough that I’d look at bowel regularity and whether my step count dropped on weekends. A higher-carb day can work, but for me it only helps if it’s paired with a rest day and extra sleep, not just more carbs. How are your sleep and stress trending compared with the first 10 weeks? That’s usually my missing variable.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

hey, first—18 lb and 3.25 inches down? That’s a huge win. Before you toss carbs at it, what’s your sleep and weigh-in routine like? I had a 21-day stall around 20 lb down; turned out I was sleeping 5.5 hrs and my “stall” was just water masking a slow loss. Switching to 7-day averages showed a 0.8 lb drop I couldn’t see daily. If you want an n=1, pick one lever for 7 days. I’d do the 2k steps plus a consistent wind-down—not both carbs and steps. Then reassess. How’s sleep and hunger lately?

👍 3

Night shifter here. My stalls are usually water/sleep timing, not fat. If you work nights, a “morning” weigh-in after day sleep isn’t the same as one after real sleep. Pick one fixed wake point and compare 7-day averages. I’d add the 2k steps before a carb refeed. Refeed can whoosh, but it can also hold 2–3 lb of water for days. Waist down and strength holding says you’re still losing. Are you weighing at the same point in your sleep/wake cycle?

👍 6 ❤️ 1

road warrior here—before you add carbs or steps, check your scale logistics. I stalled for 3 weeks at 173 and it turned out I was weighing on hotel scales, then home scale, then a gym scale, all at different times after salty airport meals. Once I tracked a 7-day rolling average at the same time/scale, the “stall” was actually a slow 0.6 lb/week drop. Hotel beds also wreck my sleep, which shows up as water. If you’re traveling, maybe park the decision for one more week and just log morning weight + waist. Are your 19 days all from the same scale?

👍 9 ❤️ 3

Hi, brand new here (day 5), so I’m mostly asking rather than advising. Have you looked at your 7-day average instead of single mornings? I’m asking because I’m trying to set up my own tracking and keep hearing that flat daily weights can stil hide progress. Also, how’s your sleep and stress this month? Sorry if that’s obvious—still learning! Rooting for you.

👍 2

Every few months we get a “stuck at 172 after 190” thread, and it’s usually boring: weekly averages are still drifting down while daily weights are flat. Before adding a carb day or 2k steps, what do your last three same-day weigh-ins look like? If they’re 172.6, 172.3, 172.2, that’s water noise, not a true stall. Also, if you cycle, where are you in your cycle? I’ve had 2–3 week luteal stalls that broke 48h after my period with zero changes. I’d hold steady and let waist/trend decide.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

Tbh Hi, brand new here (week one), so I’m mostly reading and taking notes. One thing I haven’t seen asked: how regular are you? I know it’s not glamorous, but in my past attempts a stalled scale was often just less frequent bathroom trips, especially when I changed my eating. Also, are you comparing weekly averages or sinle mornings? If your waist is still shrinking and lifts hold, I’d personally try the 2k steps for 5–7 days before a refeed—easier to walk back if it doesn’t help. Curious what your weekly averages look like?

👍 4 ❤️ 1

I’d treat this as a recomp stall until proven otherwise. At 18 lb down, waist shrinking, and strength holding, the scale can sit flat while water/glycogen shifts. New question: are your lifts actually progressing, or just “

👍 4

My n=1: scale stalled, waist kept dropping, then it moved after a higher-carb day. Grain of salt.

👍 7

Ugh, 19 days. Are you comparing weekly averages or just daily weigh-ins? That’s the first thing I’d check.

👍 6 ❤️ 1

Solidarity—my scale only moves after I stop steaing the kids’ snack-drawer crackers at 9pm.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

Not a doc, just a fellow small-town scale watcher. My last 3-week stall at 174 broke after I stopped chasing carbs vs steps and looked at sleep/resting HR. I was sleeping 5.5–6 hrs and my pharmacy’s free BP machine showed RHR up 7 bpm. Two 8-hr nights and a lighter lifting week, then I woke up down 1.8 lb. Do you track sleep or morning RHR? If those are off, adding 2k steps might just add fatigue. Also remeasure that waist—3.25 inches is a real win!

👍 6 ❤️ 1

one thing I’d check before changing food or steps: your lifting log. When my scale froze at a similar point, I’d quietly added 3–4 sets per session and my sleep had gotten worse. I kept intake the same, took one lighter session, and the scale dropped ~2 lb over the next week. Has your weekly set volume or sleep changed in the last 3 weeks? If yes, I’d hold steady a bit longer—your waist and glucose are already telling a good story.

👍 9 ❤️ 1

I’m in the empty-nester restart too, and my hidden creep was new cooking habits: nicer dinners meant more olive oil, pesto, and “a handful” of nuts while prepping. I measured for three days and

👍 7 ❤️ 1

Honestly, not medical advice, just tracking nerd stuff: before a refeed, I’d look for hidden water retainers. Did you start creatine, psyllium, a new electrolyte, or bump lifting volume in the last 3 weeks? Any of those can park the scale while your waist shrinks. Also, are you comparing a 10-day rolling average rather than day-to-day? Same time/spot for waist? If your 10-day average is truly flat AND waist stopped, then maybe add the 2k steps first; a carb-up often just shifts glycogen

👍 3

my dorm microwave and I vote carb day + extra steps; scale can sulk.

👍 3 ❤️ 1

Empty nest here too—my scale sulked for weeks whie my jeans loosened, then a cozy pasta night shook it loose.

👍 2

Honestly, waist down 3+ inhes and lifts holding? That’s recomp, not stuck. I’d add steps before refeed.

👍 3 ❤️ 1

hotel weeks always freeze my scale too—pretty sure it’s the lobby pretzels and recycled airport air.

👍 1

Night shifter here. My scale lies when my sleep flips. Same 172 for 3 weeks usually means water, not fat, if waist is still shrinking. I’d skip the carb day. Add the 2k steps for 10 days. But weigh only after your main sleep block, same time, same hydration

👍 2

Three years in, I've watched this exact thread play out a dozen times. One thing nobody's hit yet: the math moved under you. Eighteen pounds down drops maintenance by roughly 100–150 cal/day just from hauling less mass, so the deficit you set at 190 isn't the deficit you're running at 172. Nineteen days flat is pretty consistent with that rather than a whoosh waiting to fire. Quick question — are you comparing 7-day averages or single morning weigh-ins? If it's single mornings, post your two-week average and I'd bet the line is still drifting down.

👍 2

dorm ramen protein hack here: my scale stalled but my belt got a new notch, so I trusted the belt.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

Classic whoosh bait, like that stall thread last spring—trust the tape, not the scale.

👍 2