Down 63.4 lb and my trendline finally looks boring

Sep 30 2086 views 13 posts

I weigh daily, log in a spreadsheet, and use a 14-day rolling average. Today marks 63.4 lb down from my start 38 weeks ago. Scale went from 238.6 to 175.2. Waist from 42 to 34. The against-the-grain part: I don't trust weekly weigh-ins anymore; my Monday numbers have lied to me by 3 lb in both directions. I also stopped chasing every red point. Trendline is down 0.35 lb/week overall, but last 6 weeks it's 0.7 lb/week, mostly because I added a 20-min walk after lunch and kept protein around 120g. Not magic, just boring repetition. My graph still has plateaus that looked catastrophic at the time and now look flat. Anyone else find their trendline is more useful than a single best weigh-in?

👍 6 ❤️ 3

Tbh Love a boring trendline. That’s the goal. One thing that helped me: stop comparing Monday to Monday, and compare today’s 14-day average to your 14-day average from two weeks ago. It turns “this week sucked” into a slow slope. I also draw a 3-lb band around my trend and only pay attention if it exits for 5+ days; otherwise it’s sodium, water, hormones, whatever. 42→34 waist is the real receipt. What does your spreadsheet show for monthly waist vs scale? Mine rarely move in the same week, which keeps me calm.

👍 9 ❤️ 2

63.4 lb over 38 weeks is really steady work. One thing that helped me stop over-reading the scale was adding a tiny context column: sleep, stress, and whether I did a hard workout or ate a salty restaurant meal. For me, a tough lower-body session shows up as +1.5–2 lb for two mornings, then vanishes. It made those red points feel less like failure and more like logistics. Curious—when you look back at your spreadsheet, do you see a repeatable lag from workouts, or is it more tied to sleep, cycle, or hydration? I’m trying to figure out which signals are worth tracking and which just make me spin.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

honestly congrats on the boring line, thats honestly the dream. one thing that helped me stop overreacting to morning spikes: i log a tiny note next to the number — “late night gaming + salty snack” or “slept 7h + 2 sodas” — and after a month i could see the 3lb bumps were almost always sodium/sleep, not fat. my 14-day line stayed flat-ish through all of it. also switched my gaming soda to cold sparkling water + lime, which killed the 2am craving loop. do you track sleep or sodium notes at all, or just the weight itself?

👍 5 ❤️ 2

Boring is underrated. The thing that finally quieted my head was separating “data” from “decisions.” I still weigh daily, but I only act on a pattern that lasts two weeks. I also track one non-scale thing weekly: a new walk route, dinners cooked at home, or how my jeans fit. Now that the house is quieter, that ritual helps more than the number. Curious — do you mark life events on your spreadsheet? I started shading travel and big cooking weekends gray, and the spikes suddenly made more sense.

👍 5

Hi, brand new here (week one!) and this is weirdly comforting. I’m only tracking weight and a couple of tape measurements, and I’m already tempted to weigh at night too. Do you log anything else in your spreadsheet—like sleep, sodium, or cycle stuff—

👍 3

night shift here. Calendar days are useless for me. I weigh after my main sleep, before coffee, same bathroom trip. If I flip from days to nights, I ignore the first 3 days and let the 14-day average catch up. Waist at navel once a week is my tiebreaker. Scale stalled 10 days while waist dropped half an inch. Do you log sleep or shift blocks next to the weights? That was my missing variable.

👍 5

Boring trendline is the dream — congrats. Cafe owner here, so I feel the “it’s going stale anyway” bites. The thing that helped my portion control was a closing ritual: at 4pm I box one real portion of whatever I’m craving from the case, label it, and that’s my dinner. Off the line, no grazing. I also use a baby tasting spoon and taste once, not a soup spoon. Sharp question: what do you do with the end-of-day pastries or the extra panini you can’t sell? That’s my biggest hidden-calorie trap.

👍 12 ❤️ 2

I’m in the lost-then-regained club, so a 14-day line that just chugs along is enviable. Something that helped me: I only log waist monthly and take a same-jeans photo on the 1st. My scale trend can stall for 10 days while my waist keeps dropping, and that keeps me from spiraling.

👍 2

The 3-lb Monday lie is usually fluid/GI transit, not adipose. I stopped using weekly check-ins as decision points. My rule: daily weight, 10-day median for sanity, 30-day trend for direction. If the 10-day median is flat but waist is still dropping, I don’t change anything. If both 10-day and 30-day are flat for 3 weeks, that’s signal. What’s your trigger for changing anything—trend slope, waist, or both? Also curious if your 14-day average hides a weekly pattern, like higher Sun/Mon from sodium/carbs.

👍 5

I stopped comparing Monday to Monday and started comparing week-over-week change in the 14-day average. Same smoothing, but the denominator is the trend instead of one noisy point. Also tracked Sunday sodium vs. Monday delta for a month; the correlation was almost insulting, so now I just expect a 1–2 lb ghost. What made you settle on 14 days? I moved to 21 after the first ~40 lb because the shorter window started looking like an EKG.

👍 6 ❤️ 2

I’m in a small town too, and my pharmacy ladies now ask about my spreadsheet before they ask about the weather. One thing that helped me: I add a tiny note for anything weird—salty supper, poor sleep, sore muscles, travel—right in the daily row, then colr those dots purple. My

👍 1

Three years in here too, and the 14-day average is the only reason I survived plateaus. One thing I added later: a monthly average row, because my 14-day can still get twitchy around travel and sodium. If the month is down and my waist/jeans feel the same, I don’t change a thing. If two straight weeks sit flat, I check protein, steps, and sleep before touching anything. Curious—what made you land on 14 days instead of 21? I’ve seen both work, but 21 made me too complacent.

👍 3 ❤️ 2