Scale stuck at 182 for 3 weeks but waist is down?

Aug 12 8091 views 48 posts

Started at 211 in Jan, now 182. I log everything, average 1,650 cal, 120g protein, 3 lifts + 2 runs per week. For 21 days my morning weight has been 181.6-182.4. Waist down another half inch though. Sleep 6.5 hrs, stress high at work. Recent labs: A1c 5.4, TSH 1.8, ferritin 28 (low-ish). Did anyone’s plateau break after changing something non-obvious like meal timing, steps, or a refeed? Curious if I should wait it out or tweak.

Waist down half an inch with a flat scale usually means recomp or water hiding fat loss. I’d trust the tape for another 2-3 weeks.

Ferritin 28 would flatten me. Are you wiped all the time, or is that just my low-iron bias?

👍 1

I had ferritin around 30 and my lifts tanked. Getting it sorted helped energy, but the scale didn't move until I changed calories.

👍 1 ❤️ 1

For me the plateau was logging error. I weighed oils and dressings for a week and found ~200 extra calories a day.

👍 1

Weighing oils for a week is such a boring fix, but it works. Did you keep weighing after?

Only a week. Same spoon every time now.

The sleep and stress angle matters. When I slept six hours, the scale sat still for a month. A 20-minute walk after dinner got it moving.

A walk after dinner beats another hard run when stress is high. Hard cardio just made me hungrier.

I wouldn’t blame cortisol unless you’re seeing big water swings too. This could just be the whoosh effect.

Whoosh happneed to me after a higher-carb weekend. Down 3 lbs Tuesday, flat again by Friday.

👍 1

Carbs or just more calories on that weekend?

I’ve tracked 18 months and plateaus at the same weight rae almost always water or digestion for me. New squat volume, salty takeout, or low fiber all show up as 2-4 lb swings. What helped was comparing weekly averages instead of daily lows. Your 1,650 average and waist trend sound reasonable, so I’d change one thing for two weeks and keep the rest boring. Also, your ferritin number stood out—mine was similar when my training felt awful. Not saying it explains the scale, but it’s the kind of thing I’d want on my radar.

I’ve wondered that too. My higher-carb weekends usually come with more salt and more total food. Scale drops Tuesday, then creeps back. Waist keeps shrinking, so I’m trying to ignore the daily number.

Same spoon, same scale, same stall. Bodies are weird.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

The after-dinner walk is my best trick. Not for burning much, just for winding down. When I sleep better, my morning weight is less random. Also, waist measurement keeps me sane when the scale pouts.

I track weekly averages, not single days. Three weeks flat with waist down sounds like recomposition or water masking fat loss. I’d keep protein steady, keep walks, and change nothing drastic for another two weeks.

👍 1

Toddler woke me at 5, so today’s weigh-in meant nothing. I did ten minutes of stretching and called it a win. My jeans fit better, and that’s the metric I trust this week.

@transparency_tom said: Three weeks flat with waist down sounds like recomposition or water masking fat loss.

Whoosh effect sounds like a ghost that steals my scale batteries. I’ll take the waist win and wait for the whoosh. If it doesn’t come, I’m blaming the spoon.

👍 1

Same. Hard cardio makes me ravenous and then I snack at night. A slow walk after dinner keeps my appetite normal and my head clear. Stuck scale but looser waistband is still progress.

👍 2 ❤️ 2

Only a week is nothing in scale time. I was flat for 18 days, then dropped 2.4 overnight after a salty takeout meal and a long sleep. Waist was already down. Hang in there.

Three weeks stuck at 181.6-182.4 while your waist drops is almost exactly where I stalled last fall, and the non-obvious culprit for me was weekends—not meal timing or a refeed. I thought I was averaging 1,650 too, but when I actually weighed and logged Friday night through Sunday, my “cheat-ish” days were hitting 2,600-3,000 between restaurant oil, drinks, and bites while cooking, so my real weekly average was closer to 2,050. I didn’t change anything else, just pre-logged and measured the weekend cooking oil for 10 days, and the scale finally moved 2.8 lbs; the 6.5 hours of sleep plus high work stress was definitely making me hold water after lifting, because my waist kept shrinking even when the scale didn’t. If your waist is still down another half inch, you’re losing fat—I’d audit the weekend numbers before touching calories or adding a refeed.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

I had almost the exact same thing happen and it turned out my waist measurement was the liar, not the scale. I was measuring at the belly button for months and suddenly it dropped half an inch, but then I realized I’d been holding the tape a full inch lower than before. Once I stuck to a marker (top of the hip bone, same spot every Sunday morning before food), the "loss" stopped and the scale actually moved two days later after a higher-carb day. Not saying yours is measurement error, but the combo of low ferritin and 6.5 hrs sleep would wreck my own whoosh for sure. Have you tried measuring at the same spot at the same time every week instead of just whenever?

Ferritin 28 is the number that caught my eye—mine was 19 and I swore that was why I stalled at 184 for 24 days, but bringing it up with my doctor didn’t move the scale one bit; what did was a boring sleep experiment where I went from 6.5 to 7.5 hours for 10 days, and after 3 weeks flat I dropped 2.1 lbs over 5 days while my waist had already gone down an inch. Steps were a red herring too: 6k to 10k daily for 14 days did nothing except make me hungrier, and a 2-day refeed at 2,200 just added 1.8 lbs of water that vanished in 48 hours. So I’d be curious whether your stress/sleep is the lever—if you can clw back even 45 minutes, it might break before any calorie change does.

👍 2 ❤️ 1

23 days pinned between 176.2 and 177.1 here, waist down 1.5 inches the whole time, and what finally broke it was dumb — my step count on run days. I was hitting 9-

👍 2 ❤️ 1

I’m a daily weigher too, and my 3-week stall budged once I compared weekly averages, not just the morning number. Daily was flat, but the 7-day trend had crept down 0.3 lb/week. The non-obvious culprit for me was late salty dinners and even 1–2 drinks—I’d hold water for 3–4 days. Cutting that for 10 days dropped 2 lbs without changing cals. Also, how’s your fiber/poop regularity? When I’m low, the scale parks even if my waist is tightening. You’re clearly recomposing; I’d keep the trend line and maybe audit sodium/alcohol timing before changing anything else.

👍 7

I was stuck 168–169 for 12 days, waist down 1". Added two full rest days (no lifting/running, just easy walks) and slept 7.5–8 instead of 6.5. Day 3 the scale dropped 1.6 lbs and held. Same calories/protein. High stress + 5 sessions/week can keep water/inflammation masking fat loss. How many true rest days are you taking?

👍 4 ❤️ 3

that waist drop during a scale stall is real progress—you're likely losing fat while holding water from the high stress and 6.5 hrs sleep. Cortisol does that. One non-obvious thing that budged my last 3-week plateau: I moved my lifting to earlier in the day and stopped eating within 2 hours of bed. Sounds minor, but my morning weigh-ins dropped within a week. Also, do you take your waist measurement at the same time of day, same spot? Mine only became useful once I did it first thing, before coffee. Curious whether your ferritin fix changed your energy before it changed the scale.

👍 7

Waist down half an inch with a flat scale screams water/recomp, not true fat stall. Two non-obvious things I’d check: training load trend—if lifts are up or run volume increased, glycogen and repair water can mask 2–4 lb of fat loss—and sodium/carb swings. One high-sodium takeout meal can hold my morning weight for 4–5 days. High stress + 6.5h sleep probably adds cortisol/aldosterone-mediated retention too. I’d be looking at whether lifts and waist are still trending before assuming intake is wrong. Has your running or lifting volume changed since the stall started?

Scale is a noisy sensor; waist is the calibration check. New variable: log previous-day carbs and run duration against morning weight. My 18-day “stall” was a timing artifact—long run + high-carb day shifted water/glycogen, so same-day-of-week compare exposed the actual trend while a 10-day EMA smoothed the noise. Sharp Q: are your lift/run days fixed, or does the split drift? If it drifts, you’re comparing different hydration states and calling it a plateau. 6.5h sleep + high stress just raises the noise floor.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

cafe owner here. My stall was from “quality control” tastes—sauce, pastry, soup—usually 150–250 cal, plus sodium. What helped: tiny tasting bowl, logged each bite on my phone before it went in, and compared weekly averages instead of daily. Also swapped one run for a 20-min walk after close because stress/sleep were trash. Scale moved 2 lbs after 10 days. Are you tracking tastes/sodium, or just actual meals?

👍 8 ❤️ 2

waist down again means the plan is working; the scale is just lagging. For me, a 3-week flatline broke when I stopped chasing the number and fixed recovery instead: I added a 10-min after-dinner walk and a consistent lights-out alarm, and within 5 days the scale dropped 1.6 lb. What’s your sleep/stress setup right now? If you’re at 6.5 hrs and high work stress, that’s the first lever I’d play with before changing food—maybe a 15-min afternoon reset walk or a wind-down cutoff. How are your energy and hunger at 1,650?

👍 6 ❤️ 1

Cafe owner here. My 3-week stall broke when I started counting the “quality control” bites—broken cookie, spoon of frosting, end of a latte—probably 150-250 cal/day I never logged. Also stopped weighing after early bake shifts because dehydration made me 2 lb lighter, then I’d overeat later. Are you tracking the standing-up tastes? That was my hidden variable.

👍 6 ❤️ 2

I’m a spreadsheet nerd, so: what’s your 7-day average weight doing? My 20-day stall at 178 had daily weights 177.8–178.6, but the 7-day average was still down ~0.3 lb/week while my waist dropped. The other thing that froze my scale was creatine/new pre-workout—classic water, not fat. Are you taking either? If not, check whether your weekly average is actually flat or just the daily range. That comparison changed how I read plateaus.

👍 5 ❤️ 1

Empty-nester restart here too. My scale sat still for about a month while my body was clearly changing. What finally nudged it: I split my daily walk into two 15-minute post-meal strolls instead of one long morning one, and I batch-cooked high-protein soups on Sundays so dinners weren’t scavenged. I also only compare 7-day averages now—daily numbers after long runs or bad sleep were useless. Sharp question: are your lifts still going up? If yes, I’d keep the routine and look at sleep/stress before cutting anything. What’s your weekly average trend?

👍 8 ❤️ 1

Not a doc, just a fellow plateau-er. The thing that finally budged me off a 3-week stall was boring: steps. I was lifting 4x and running 2x but sitting a ton on work calls, maybe 4–5k steps. I used a cheap drugstore pedometer, set a reminder to walk 10 min after lunch and dinner, got to 8–9k on rest days, and about 9 days later the scale finally dipped. Waist had been dropping the whole time, same as you. How many steps are you getting on non-run days? That’s the first place I’d peek.

👍 2

Sleep and stress are the two levers that freeze my scale dead. I had an almost identical three-week flat stretch last fall — same intake, waist still creeping down — and it broke the week I strung together two real 8-hour nights plus a no-laptop weekend. Nothing else in my log changed. Do you track resting HR or HRV? Mine drifts up a few bpm during those stalls, which is my cue that it's a stress/hydration thing and not the fat loss quitting. Also, what did they say aout the ferritin 28? Mine came back 24 and my runs felt like slogging through sand until I dealt with it. Just curious whether yours got flagged as "fine" or "let's watch it.

👍 8 ❤️ 1

what changed in your training load during those 21 days? If you added run volume or lifting sets, glycogen + plasma volume can hold 2–4 lb of water and mask fat loss. I stalled at 174 for 18 days, then dropped 2 lb after a deload week—same calories. Also, are you comparing weights after similar sodium/carb intake? A 7-day median helps, but waist is your trend. Given 6.5 hrs sleep and high stress, track resting HR too; sleep debt can inflate scale weight independently of fat.

👍 4

That half inch is a real win—recomp is happening even while the scale plays statue. One non-obvious thing I track when this happens: morning resting HR and sleep debt. When my stress was high and sleep sat at 6.5, I held water for weeks despite consistent calories. Adding 20 min after-dinner walks + protecting 7 hrs sleep (and a deload week) finally whooshed me. Sharp question: are you weighing after rest days or after runs/lifts? My hard-run days bump me 1–2 lbs for 48 hrs. Also, with ferritin 28, are your runs feeling harder than usual?

👍 10 ❤️ 3

The waist down bit matters—you’re not fully stalled, the scale is just being a jerk. What finally moved me after a 3-week 181–183 slog was tracking steps instead of just food. Work stress had quietly cut me from ~9k to ~5k/day, and my lifting loads were flat too. I added two 15-min walks (lunch + after dinner) and one extra set on main lifts; scale dropped 2 lbs over the next 10 days. Have you compared your average daily steps or weekly lifting volume now vs. January? That’s the non-obvious lever I always forget.

👍 9 ❤️ 2

That waist drop is the truth teller. One non-obvious thing for me: my scale sat still while my non-workout steps quietly dropped from ~9k to ~5k because work got nuts. I started tracking steps outside my runs/lifts and added two 15-min walks—no extra gym. Scale finally moved 1.4 lbs over the next week. NEAT was my hidden lever. Are you tracking steps outside your workouts? And are you measuring your waist same time, same spot, exhaled? That half inch is legit.

👍 6 ❤️ 1

Waist down means it's working—scale's just gaslighting you. Mine did this then whooshed overnight.

👍 3

Road warrior here too. My scale does this exact statue thing in hotel/airport mode: restaurant sodium, less walking, and weird bathroom timing can hold 2–3 lbs of water while my waist keeps shrinking. What helped me was weighing only at home, same spot, after bathroom, before coffee—and comparing 7-day averages instead of daily. Hotel scales are basically haunted. Are you eating way more packaged/travel food than usual right now? That’s my hidden sodium bomb every trip.

👍 3

I track weekly averages too, and my last flat stretch turned out to be a step-count drop rather than a calorie issue. Work stress pushed me from around 9k to 6k daily steps without my noticing, since my formal workouts

👍 7 ❤️ 2

one non-obvious thing for me: sodium + fiber + bathroom rhythm. When I upped protein with bars/shakes and dropped carbs, I got low-grade constipation and held water, so the scale sat still while my waist shrank. What helped was tracking sodium roughly, adding a big veggie serving and more water, and noting whether I’d gone #2 before weighing. Not glamorous, but I dropped 2 lbs over a few days once things got regular—no calorie change. Have you changed your fiber or sodium intake in those 21 days? Also, do you weigh after the same bathroom/water routine every morning? That alone swings me 1–2 lbs.

👍 4 ❤️ 1

I’m on the road 4 days/week and had the same 3-week statue act. Mine broke when I realized hotel/airport food had me at ~3x my noral sodium even with calories logged. Four days of grocery-store rotisserie chicken + bagged salad and whoosh, 1.8 lb gone overnight. Not fat, just water, but it unstuck my brain. What does your travel vs home sodium look like?

👍 2 ❤️ 1

same here—scale froze but jeans looser; my kids’ snack drawer runs this house.

👍 2

Tbh track weekly average, not daily. My scale sat at 179–180 for 18 days despite a deficit. What finally showed progress: I stopped weighing after high-sodium dinners and long runs. Started weighing same day/time after a rest day, and it showed a 1.5 lb drop over 10 days. Not magic—water/glycogen noise. Are you comparing same-day-of-week weights or every morning? And how sodium/carb heavy are your run days? That combo can mask fat loss for a while.