12 weeks in, down 18.4 lb from 203.0 to 184.6. But the scale has been stuck at 184.6 for 17 days. Same 1,750 kcal, 10k steps, three lifts a week. Waist is down 1.5 cm and fasting glucose went from 102 to 94, A1c 5.6 to 5.3. Is this a true plateau, or water/recomp hiding fat loss? What data would you track before changing anything-7-day averages, measurements, food scale audit, something else?
Stuck at 184.6 for 17 days but waist is down?
17 days isn't a plateau yet. I stalled 24 days after losing 15 lb, then dropped 3.2 lb in four days. Water hides fat loss. Measuring waist weekly?
Waist down 1.5 cm is the real win. Scale can stall during recomp. I'd hold calories another two weeks and compare 7-day averages.
I wouldn't call it water only. If 1,750 kcal is self-reported, logging drift can erase a 300 kcal deficit. Weigh food for a week.
Logging drift got me. Peanut butter eyeballing added 0.8 lb.
Your glucose and A1c changes are interesting. Mine improved before the scale moved. How's sleep and stress? For me, bad sleep = 2 lb water.
Sleep is huge. Under 6 hours = 2 lb water.
What's your 7-day average? Single-day weights are noise. I use Happy Scale and only judge the trend line.
Could be a diet break signal. I took 10 days at maintenance, scale jumped 1.8 lb, then dropped 4 lb by week three. Not medical advice, just my experience.
I'd check sodium and carb timing before blaming metabolism. A big pasta dinner adds 2-3 lb water for me.
Scale’s lagging the tape measure—17 days is annoying but 1.5 cm off your waist says fat’s still leaving. I’d ride it out.
Clothing fit beats the scale for me. My jeans got loose 3 weeks before the number dropped. Don’t change what’s working yet.
Check weekend sodium and sleep before cutting calories. I stalled 19 days, then whoosh after two good sleep nights.
I’d do a 7-day average and a food scale audit before touching calories. My last 17-day flat stretch ended when I found I was eyeballing nut butter and cooking oil—added maybe 200 kcal/day on weekends. Waist, fasting glucose, and A1c all moving the right way means this is probably water/recomp, not a true fat-loss plateau. Give it another 10-14 days, keep protein high, and only then nudge cardio or intake.
17 days is nothing when your A1c drops 0.3 and your waist shrinks. I'd take that trade every time.
Grab a tape and measure navel, hip, and mid-thigh on the same morning each week, plus one bathroom photo in the same light and spot. I stalled 19 days at 191 last spring, lifts still climbing (squat 135 to 165), tape showing 2 cm off the hip while the scale refused to move. Then week four I dropped 3.2 lb over five days with zero changes to anything. Strength is your best proxy: if working weights or reps are still creeping up, you're not actually stalled, you're rebuilding. If lifts, tape, and photos all flatline for three straight weeks, that's when I'd start poking at the plan. Your glucose dropping 8 points and A1c down 0.3 in 12 weeks is the signal, the scale is the lagging indicator.
Your maintenance isn't the same at 184.6 as it was at 203. Losing 18 lb typically pulls TDEE down 100-200 kcal, so 1,750 that used to be a real deficit can now be grazing maintenance. I hit that wall around week 12 and instead of cutting, I went up to roughly 2,000 for ten days. Scale bounced 1.8 lb in water, sat there, then started moving again on its own. Give it two full weeks of data before reacting to anything. Also worth checking: are you weighing the morning after hard lift days, and are you eating back your step calories? Those two alone can hide 2-3 lb of noise and make a fine plan look broken.
Last stall on the scale ran 22 days, then 3.8 lb fell off in about a week. The tape is the honest one.
My 17-day stall broke after I logged sleep: 5h40 average. Added 30 min earlier bedtime, dropped 1.2 lb in 4 days.
Weighing condiments was my blind spot: 80 cal ranch became 240. Two weeks stalled; measuring oil/ranch got scale moving.
Your 10k might be less than you think: phone in purse logged 8.2k real steps. Added 15 min after dinner, waist kept shrinking.
I'd hold steady and track a 14-day rolling average plus how your jeans fit at 7pm, not morning. I stalled 19 days at 179, then realized my 'three lifts' had become 35-minute sessions because I was resting longer; adding two hard sets per lift and a Sunday 45-min walk broke it. My scale didn't move until week 3, then dropped 2.4 lb in 6 days. The surprise was weekends: Friday/Saturday takeout added ~1,800 cal weekly, which is ~0.5 lb fat if it were all surplus. So before changing calories, log three weekends exactly and check your 7-day average, sleep, and whether lifts are progressing. If waist and glucose are improving, that's data too—I'd only cut after 3 weeks of flat averages and waist.
Sleep is what froze mine — I averaged 5h40m for three weeks and the scale sat on the same number, then slept 8h four nights straight and dropped 2.8 lb without changing a thing. Also check your lifts: if strength is holding or climbing while the tape shrinks, you're still losing fat and refilling glycogen. Honestly, how's your sleep been the last two weeks?
Look at your weekends before you touch anything else. I was perfect Mon-Fri and then Friday takeout plus Sunday brunch quietly added about 1,800 cal a week, which is basically the whole deficit I thought I had. Once I logged Sat and Sun with the same honesty as a Tuesday, the stall broke in 9 days. Are your weekend days actually logged, or do they live in your head?
The math people forget: your deficit isn't as big as it was at 203. Maintenance drops as you lose, so a 700-calorie gap in week one might be 450 now, and that's before your body gets more efficient at the same three lifts. Mine went from 1.6 lb a week to 0.7 by month three without me changing a thing, which felt identical to a plateau and wasn't. Flip side is 18.4 lb in 12 weeks is fast, and the first chunk of that is always water and glycogen, so the back half was never going to keep pace. I'd hold calories steady and reassess at day 28.
With waist down 1.5 cm and fasting glucose/A1c dropping, I’d trust that over a 17-day scale flat. New angle: lifting + glycogen/water. If you added creatine, bumped carbs, or increased volume, muscle can hold extra water and mask fat loss. I’d track a 10-day rolling median, fasted waist at same spot/time, and a GI regularity note—constipation can add a couple pounds. Also compare scale on rest days vs after heavy sessions. In the trials, plateaus are usually judged over 4+ weeks. Has your training volume or carb/creatine intake changed since the scale stuck?
At 12 weeks, with waist down and glucose/A1c improving, I’d trust the tape over the scale for now. Before changing anything, I’d track: 7-day weight average, waist at navel and widest point every 2 weeks, and one lift metric—like total reps at a given weight. Sharp question: are your main lifts still holding or adding reps, or have those stalled too? If waist is still shrinking and lifts are stable/up, that’s recomp, not a true plateau. I’d give it another 2–3 weeks before touching intake. Also—check your scale battery and placement. Mine drifted once and cost me a week of sanity.
before changing cals, check sleep and sodium. i did the soda swap + late-night gaming thing and stalled for like 2.5 weeks; it was water from 5-6h sleep and salty snacks. track 7-day avg weight but only weigh after a rest day (not after heavy squats/deadlifts), sleep hours, sodium, and soreness. if you’re sore and underslept, scale can hide 2-3 lb easy. what’s your sleep/sodium looking like this week?
I would add one metric: strength at a fixed effort. Note your squat, bench, or row reps at the same weight and effort each week. If those are stable or climbing while your 7-day weight average is flat and measurements are improving, that looks more
For what it's worth, I’m a two-kid chaos person too. Before changing anything, I’d look at yor cycle/water timing—if you’re premenstrual, that scale can sit flat or jump while waist keeps shrinking. I weigh daily but only act on the 10-day low; I also measure waist Sunday AM before coffee, same spot, and note if my wedding ring is tight. That combo caught a 12-day fake stall for me. Are you comparing weights at the same point in your cycle? If yes, and waist/glucose keep trending better, I’d hold steady another week—ch
For what it's worth, The 17-day flat scale with waist down screams water from your new walking/lifting, not a true plateau. I started after-dinner walks and my scale sat still for three weeks while my jeans got loose. I’d add: weekly average weight (same time, after bathroom, before food), waist at navel and smallest point, plus a gym log. If reps or loads are creeping up while the scale is flat, that’s recomp. Did your 10k steps get faster or hillier lately? That can bump water retention too.
Use a 14-day median, not a 7-day average. One sodium/carb spike can drag an average around; median mostly ignores it. I’d log daily weight, waist at the same landmark after exhale, and one weekly photo in identical lighting. Decision rule: change nothing until both median weight and waist are flat for two straight weeks. Your glucose/A1c and waist are already moving the right way, so the scale is probably the lagging indicator. 17 days is a noisy sample, not proof of a true plateau.
Before changing anything, I’d add sleep and sodium columns. My 19-day flat at 181.2 had a 14-day slope of -0.1 lb/wk, but sleep was 42 min shorter and sodium ~700 mg higher than the prior block. When those normalized, scale dropped 2.3 lb in 4 days. Also compare your 17-day average steps, not just daily 10k—mine slid 1.2k/day without me noticing. What’s your 14-day rolling slope and sleep/sodium delta vs the prior 17 days?
17 days is barely a plateau in recomp terms. One thing I’d add: measure your waist at the same spot, same time, after exhale, and log the 3-week trend instead of single readings. Also track total lifting volume—sets × reps × weight—over those same 3 weeks. If waist and volume are trending up while scale weight sits flat, that’s usually a good sign, not a reason to change anything. What do your monthly side-by-side photos show?
Hi, brand-new member here (day 5), so forgive the basic question. The thing I’d add is tracking a weekly average plus the lowest reading of that week, because my daily weight can swing 2 lb overnight. Also, are you measuring your waist at the same time—right after waking, before breakfast—and at both navel and narrowest point? I’ve gotten a full cm difference just from posture or bloating. A monthly photo in the same light/outfit might be the tiebreaker. If waist and those numbers are trending right, I’d personally be slow to change anything. How long do you usually wait before tweaking?
Three-year regular here. The metric I’d add before touching anything: sleep duration and resting HR from your watch. In the old “stuck at 185” thread, my scale sat 16 days while waist dropped, but my RHR was up 6 bpm and sleep was trash from work stress. It broke the week I got 7+ hrs again. What’s your RHR/sleep trend over those 17 days?
hi, brand-new here too (day 5), so take this with a grain of salt. The one thing I’d add is tracking gym performance, not just the scale: are you adding reps or a little weight on your main lifts over those 17 days? If lifts are trending up while weight is flat, that seems like a really encouraging recomp signal. Also, a same-lighting progress photo every 2 weeks helps me more than daily numbers. Sorry if that’s obvious—just curious what your squat/bench/row trend looks like?
i’d look at your lifting log first: are your working weights or reps trending up, or just maintaining? If strength is climbing while the scale is flat, that’s usually a good sign. Also, track a 3-week monthly rolling average, not just 7-day—one weird week can skew the average. And check digestion: if you’re backed up or eating more carbs/salt than usual, water can hide fat loss for a while. Sharp question: over the last 3 weeks, is your weekly average still drifting down, or has it truly flatlined?
Yep, been there—scale played dead while my jeans got loose. Trust the tape.
i’d do a 3-day “kid plate + snack drawer” audit before changing anything. Log every bite you eat standing up—crusts, leftover nuggets, handfuls from the drawer. My 18-day flat at 182 was basically 250–400 extra kcal/day I wasn’t counting. Pre-portioning my snacks into little bags and only eating at the table got the scale moving again without touching my meals. Are you tracking those chaotic bites, or just the planned ones?
Girl same—scale froze, jeans got baggy. Trust the tape, not the scale 🙌
Sanity-check the instrument before the system. A scale that reads exactly 184.6 for 17 days to 0.1 lb is suspicious: change battery, re-zero, weigh a known 5 lb plate/dumbbell. If it passes, switch from daily mean to 7-day rolling median, same time post-bathroom, and log waist weekly. Waist down 1.5 cm plus glucose/A1c improving is real signal; scale is the laggy metric. I wouldn’t cut anything until the 3-week median is flat and waist stalls. What does your scale say with a 10 lb dumbbell on it?
One thing I’d add to the dashboard: a weekly strength benchmark—same lift, same load, how many clean reps. During my last 3-week scale flat, my rows went from 8 to 11 reps and shirts got looser; then the scale dropped 2.2 lb in four days. If your lifts are holding or improving while your waist is down, that’s a strong recomp signal. Sharp question: are you weighing your food or eyeballing it? A 100–200 kcal drift can look exactly like a 17-day plateau. I’d verify that before changing anything else.
Been there—scale froze while my waist kept dropping. Tape + 7-day avg are the real receipts.
Mom of two, chaotic dinners here. The data I’d add before changing anything: a 5-day “nibble log.” Kid leftovers, crusts, goldfish, a bite while packing lunches can easily be 150–300 kcal and never make it into the 1,750. That can hold the scale flat while recomp and waist changes keep moving. Also note how your jeans fit at 4pm, not just morning. Are you actually weighing food on weekends, or estimating when it’s chaos? That’s where all my 17-day stalls live.
Your waist, glucose, and A1c moving together is a big win—don’t let the scale steal it. The metric I’d add before changing anything: bathroom regularity + a simple sodium/carb note. When I’m constipated or coming off a salty weekend, my scale parks for 2+ weeks while my waist keeps shrinking. Also take front/side photos in the same light weekly; daily weight lies, weekly trends don’t. Quick question: are your 7-day average weights and waist measurements taken at the same time/conditions each week? If not, tighten that first. You may already be losing fat—just not in a straight line.
Tape is undefeated—my scale sulked for wees while my belt needed a new hole 😅
Check if waist is measured at the same landmark/time. A 1.5 cm drop with better glucose/A1c sounds like real recomp; scale can be masked by glycogen/water from lifting. In the trials, 2–4 week stalls with improving waist/biomarkers aren’t usually true fat-loss stops. I’d log 7-day median weight, waist, resting HR, and training load. Sharp q: did you change rep ranges, volume, or sodium in those 17 days? That’s what hides scale drops for me.
I’m a daily weigher, so I get it. Before changing anything, pull your 7-day rolling average from the last 17 days. If that line is still inching down even 0.1–0.2 lb/week, the 184.6 is likely a water cap, not a true plateau. If the 7-day avg is dead flat and waist is shrinking, that smells like recomp/water masking fat loss. I’d track: 7-day avg, weekly waist, and monthly photos. Sharp question: what’s your 7-day avg now vs 17 days ago? And how’s sleep/sodium/stress? Those can hold water for weeks, then whoosh.
Your waist and glucose improving while the scale holds is a reassuring pattern, not necessarily a true plateau. One thing I track in these stretches is the 7-day average of my intake by meal type, especially weekend dinners out; sodium and restaurant portions can mask fat loss for two to three weeks. Are you weighing your usual foods raw or cooked? That difference can quietly erase a deficit. I also measure waist once weekly, same spot and time, and compare it to the weekly weight average rather than the daily number. If those trends keep moving, I would not change anything yet.
I travel 3–4 days a week, so my scale is a drama queen after airport food. Data I’d add: 7-day average, but split by “hotel nights vs home nights.” Also log sodium-heavy restaurant meals, alcohol, and sleep hours. If 184.6 showed up during a travel stretch while your waist is still shrinking, that smells like water. Sharp question: are you weighing under the same conditions at home and on the road? Hotel beds, late dinners, and dehydrating flights can hide fat loss for weeks. I’d wait for 3 clean home-morning weigh-ins before changing anything.
Hey! That combo of stalled scale + smaller waist + better glucose numbers really does scream recomp/water, not a true plateau. One thing I’d add: a 3-site tape check (waist at navel, hips, thigh) every 2 weeks, same morning, plus a monthly photo in the same lighting. Also—any new soreness, salt/carb shifts, creatine, or cycle stuff in the last 17 days? Those can mask fat loss for weeks. I once stalled 19 days while my belt went down a notch, then dropped 2 lb overnight. I wouldn’t touch anything until your 7-day average and measurements are flat for 3+ weeks. Proud of you!
For what it's worth, i’d add a 7-day rolling average and a weekly waist/hip photo to your data. Also note sleep and stress, because rough sleep can bump water weight for days even at the same calories. One thing I’d check: are your lifts progressing, or are you unusually sore? If strength is stable/up but recovery feels heavier, extra water from training can hide 1–2 lb of fat loss for a few weeks. If sleep, stress, and steps have all slipped instead, that’s a different signal. Which of those feels most off to you?
Login to reply to this thread.
Login / Sign up