Started at 209 on Jan 6, now 187. That's 22 lb in 12 weeks, mostly from tracking around 1800 cal, lifting 3x week, and walking 10k steps. But the last 21 days the scale has bounced 186.4-188.2 and won't go lower. Waist is down another half inch, so something is changing. Do I wait another two weeks, drop calories a bit, or add cardio? I'm 5'6", 41, not new to this but this is my first real plateau.
Down 22 lb, stuck at 187 for three weeks
Waist down means you're not stalled. Scale lags water.
Agreed on waist. But 21 days flat is still annoying. What's your sleep been like?
Sleep is my tell. Under 6 hrs and my scale jumps 2 lb overnight, every time.
I stalled at 183 for a month, then dropped 4 lb in 5 days after a deload week.
Deload week meaning less training or just less volume? I'm stuck at 176 too.
Cutting training volume but keeping the same daily step count barely moves anything. Two higher-carb days around 2200 though, and then whoosh.
Careful with cutting more. At 1800 with three lifts and 10k steps, you might be retaining water from training rather than holding fat. I had two separate three-week stalls where my daily weight bounced in a 2 lb range, then 3 lb fell off over four days. What changed? I stopped weighing daily and used a 7-day average, kept protein high, and looked at waist measurements. If your waist is still shrinking, that's a better signal than the scale right now. What does your 7-day average look like versus 21 days ago?
Weekly average is key. Mine dropped 1.2 lb over a 3-week stall while daily lows stayed flat.
Water retention for three weeks seems like a stretch. My stalls were sodium and weekend eating.
Are you weighing food or eyeballing? That changed everyhting for me.
Weighing helped me, but oils and bites add up. Sleep messed me up more than salt.
Holding steady instead of cutting actually did something — the scale finally moved after 10 days, where another deficit week probably would've just dug me in deeper. Maintenance weeks are the part that scares me tho. Easy to call it a planned break and then look up and it's been 6 weeks.
Half inch off the waist while the scale does nothing is recomp, not a plateau. I'd wait two more weeks.
Sleep is the sneaky one for me. I averaged 6h20m for a month during a stall and was ravenous every afternoon, then got to 7.5 and the scale started moving again within a week. Also compare weekly averages instead of single mornings, my Monday number is always 1-2 lb heavier than Friday.
Three-week stalls are the worst because you start bargaining with yourself at 11pm. I sat at 194 for 26 straight days last spring, same deal, lifts going up, waist down a notch, scale absolutely immovable. I did the dumb thing first: cut to 1500, added 30 min of incline walking, felt like garbage within ten days, scale didn't budge a single tenth. What actually broke it was boring. I went back up to maintenance-ish for five days, slept 7.5 hours instead of my usual 6, kept lifting, and stopped weighing myself until Monday. That Monday I was 194.6, Wednesday 192.8, by Sunday 190.2, so 3.8 lb in six days after almost four weeks of nothing. Not magic, I think it was water and cortisol and glycogen finally letting go, but the lesson stuck: when the tape moves and the scale doesn't, I'm still losing fat, just not losing weight yet. Side-by-side photos at day 60 vs day 90 look way more different than the 9 lb between them suggests. I'd hold 1800 another two weeks, sleep like it's your job, then trim.
Before you drop anything, audit your tracking for a week, that's what broke my last stall. I was 'at 1700' but never counted the olive oil I poured by eye (a real tablespoon is around 120 cal and my pours were closer to two), the creamer splash, or the bites while cooking. Measured everything for seven days and it came out closer to 2000 than 1700. Nothing else changed, no extra cardio, and I dropped 1.5 lb the following week. Cutting 150-200 cal when you don't know your real number just makes you hungry and cranky. One week of honest weighing first.
Your waist dropping half an inch while the scale sits still is the tell — you're probably holding water from the lifting, not losing less fat. I added a fourth lifting day in February and the scale froze at 174 for 19 days while my belt went in a notch, then I peed for two days straight and woke up at 171.6. Muscle repair pulls water in, and a hard session can add 1-2 lb of it that hangs around 48-72 hours. If you've bumped weight or reps in the last three weeks, that alone can mask a pound of real fat loss. I'd leave calories alone, log the same way, and compare Wednesday morning weigh-ins instead of daily ones. If you're still 187 but another half inch down in four weeks, that's progress, not a stall.
I'm 5'4" and stalled at 163 for five straight weeks, so I get it. I did the dumb thing first: cut to 1450, added 30 min on the bike, and the scale went UP 1.8 lb in ten days, because I was so wrecked I half-assed my walks and ate a handful of almonds at 10pm without logging them. What actually broke it was going the other direction — I ate around maintenance (~2000) for 11 days, kept lifting, held protein near 140g, and did zero extra cardio. Day 12 I was 161.4, end of the month 158. Not saying calories don't matter, but I'd been in a deficit 19 weeks straight and I was freezing cold, waking at 4am, and my lifts were tanking. The other thing I'd check is what your weekly average actually looks like versus your dailies, because I was 187ish six days and 191 every Sunday and calling it a plateau when it was really a Sunday-through-Friday problem. You're only 12 weeks in — I'd give it two more weeks before changing anything.
187 at 5'6" with a shrinking waist is a good place to be patient, not a crisis.
Go try on the jeans you couldn't button in January. The scale lies way more often than denim does.
I hit nearly the same wall at week 12 and my sleep was the culprit — 5.5 hours, waking up twice, stressed at work. Kept everything identical but locked in a 7.5 hour window for two weeks and dropped 3 lb. Lifting 3x plus 10k steps on low sleep leaves a lot of water and inflammation sitting around. What's your sleep and stress been like the last three weeks?
Look at your two worst days, not your average. I swore I was 'around 1800' but my Saturdays ran 2600-2800 with restaurant food, drinks, and grazing while I cooked. Spread out that's a 250/day hole, which is almost exactly where my deficit went at the same stage. Log one full weekend honestly, including oil and the handfuls, then decide.
Contrarian take: I wouldn't cut anything yet. I did the drop-to-1600-and-add-cardio thing at your stage, and my lifts tanked, sleep got worse, and I lost 1 lb in four weeks. Three weeks eating closer to maintenance, then back to a modest deficit, got me moving again and I kept my strength. Waist shrinking while the scale sits is recomp doing its job.
Sneaky one: your 10k might not be the same 10k it was in January. Mine started as two brisk 45-minute walks at 3.5 mph, then turned into 10k of slow pacing on phone calls — identical step count, way less work. Timed the pace on three days a week and the scale broke loose inside ten days. Worth checking before you touch your food.
grats on 22. random one: how’s your sleep been? i had a 3-week stall around 185 and was still losing half inches, but i was sleeping like 5-6h with late ranked games. once i kept a fixed wake time and cut late caffeine, the scale moved 2 lb in like 5 days. also weigh after same bathroom routine, not just “morning.” how many sub-7h nights have you had this month? might be the missing variable.
Dorm dining hall was my hidden 300 cal: the “veggie stir-fry” ladle of oil, teriyaki chicken, and those little peanut butter cups. I swapped to plain grilled chicken + sriracha/mustard + microwave frozen broccoli, and the scale finally moved. Are you weighing dining hall stuff or eyeballing it? Waist down half an inch while weight stalls is a win—scale’s just being a drama queen.
Honestly, 22 lb in 12 weeks is awesome—and waist down another half inch while the scale sulks is a win. New angle: what are your lifts doing? If your squat/press/row reps or weights are still climbing, I’d use that as the tiebreaker and not make a big change yet. When I hit a 3-week stall, I picked one tiny experiment for 14 days: 10-minute easy walk after dinner, or swapped one snack for Greek yogurt + berries—not both. Also, are you measuring your waist at the same time/day? If lifts are flat and waist is flat for two more weeks, then change one lever. Which is easier for you to track right now: gym progress or a wind-down walk?
what’s your daily protein looking like? I stalled hard around 185 after a similar run, and I was basically living on 1800 cal but only ~90g protein. I bumped it to 135–145g (same calories, less crackers/cheese, more chicken/Greek yogurt) and kept lifting. Scale sat for another week, then dropped 2 lb almost overnight. Also, are you sleeping worse or stressed lately? At 41, lifting 3x and down 22, a 3-week flat scale with a shrinking waist reads more like recomp/water than a real fat stall. I’d pick protein/sleep audit before cutting anything.
At 187, 1800 isn’t the same deficit it was at 209. TDEE drops with mass, so you may be at a 300–400 deficit now, not 700+. Waist down is real, though.
I’d use a 7-day median, not daily weights, and give it two more weeks. Sharp question: are your lifts progressing in load or reps? If yes, training-related water retention can flatten the scale for 2–3 weeks. If lifts are flat and waist stalls too, then adjust.
Are you comparing 7-day rolling averages or just daily weights? Mine looked stuck at 184 for ~3 weeks, but the rolling average was down 0.7 lb and my waist kept shrinking. Also check whether your lifting volume crept up: when I added sets, I held water/DOMS and the scale froze even though calories were unchanged. If your 21-day average truly hasn’t moved and waist stalls too, I’d pick one lever—either 100–150 cal or two short zone-2 sessions—not both. What’s your weekly average trend Jan vs now?
Untracked calories hide in the five minutes between middle school band classes. Not the weekend meals—the little stuff. I kept a note for five days: leftover pretzel rods from a student, half a Gatorade, the last bite of a granola bar, a couple swigs of chocolate milk while restocking the fridge. That was a couple hundred calories I'd been treating as zero. Your waist being down another half inch is still a real signal, though. Are your main lifts still adding weight or reps? If yes, I'd bet you're recomposing and the scale is just water/glycogen lag. If those have stalled too, that's a different conversation. Which is it?
Are your main lifts still adding reps/weight? That’s the first thing I’d check. When my scale stalled but waist kept dropping, it was usually water/glycogen from a training block, not fat loss stopping. If lifts are moving and sleep is solid, I’d hold calories and just make sure you’re not eating back your walks. If lifts are also flat, I’d shave 100–150 cals from rest days before adding cardio—extra cardio tends to wreck my recovery.
I run an in-home daycare. Six kids, so I'm the human garbage disposal: crusts off a sandwich, the last three goldfish, a string cheese some toddler licked and handed back, half a muffin nobody claimed. That's 150–300 cal daily I never once logged. Track every bite for 3 workdays — not to cut, just to see the number. Truly zero? I'd bet against it, but if so, give it 2 more weeks before changing anything; your waist is still moving.
whats your sleep looking like? not even kidding. i stalled for like a month at 183 when i was gaming till 2-3am and averaging 6h. waist kept shrinking but scale was frozen. once i moved my last caffeine to like noon and actually got 7.5h for 10 days the whoosh finally hit. also try comparing 7-day averages instead of daily, 186-188 bounce is just noise. are you weighing same time after bathroom before food? that changed my graph a lot. if sleep is already solid then maybe add 2x 20min incline walks instead of cutting cals more, since 1800 + lifting 3x is already not a lot.
First, 22 lb in 12 weeks is huge — and the waist down another half inch is a real win. The scale is just being stubborn. If it were me, I wouldn’t drop calories yet. I’d check sleep and stress first: when I stalled for 3 weeks, protecting 7+ hours and adding a 20-min evening walk broke it faster than cutting food. Are you taking waist photos/measurements every 2 weeks? That kept me sane. What’s your sleep and recovery like right now? If that’s solid, then I’d experiment with a small cardio bump or a planned higher-calorie weekend before changing much else.
Honestly, Three weeks in a 1.8-lb range with your waist down half an inch usually screams recomp + water noise, not a true fat stall. I’d compare your 7-day average now to three weeks ago—if it’s drifting down even 0.2 lb/week, that’s still progress. If the average is truly flat, pick one lever for two weeks, not both: either add 15 min easy incline walking after dinner or shave 100–150 cal from fats/carbs. Also, how’s your sleep and stress? Bad sleep can hold 2–3 lb of water on me for days and make a good plan look broken.
Are you comparing same conditions? My scale stalls 2–3 lb for 48h after deadlifts or a salty dinner, then whooshes down. I log a 7-day rolling average instead of daily, and only judge Sunday morning after a normal-sodium Saturday. If your weekly average is flat but waist is down another half inch, that’s recomp, not a real stall. I’d hold calories 2 more weeks and add 10–15 min easy incline walk after your biggest meal, not HIIT—hard cardio jacked up my hunger and water weight. What’s your weekly average doing?
Waist down another half inch with a flat scale usually means water/recomp noise, not stalled fat loss. Are you looking at daily weights or a 7-day average? I stalled 3–4 weeks at a similar point, and what finally moved my average was logging sodium and weighing under the same conditions—one high-sodium day could bump me 2 lb for days. What are your average protein and fiber grams? If those are low, I’d hold calories two more weeks and add a 10-minute easy walk after dinner before cutting anything. Also, how many actual steps are you averaging weekly, not just the days you hit 10k?
Empty-nester here, and my after-dinner walk is my new happy hour. I’d hold calories two more weeks and switch to 7-day averages instead of daily weigh-ins. I stalled at 184 for almost a month while my waist kept shrinking—lifting water was masking the fat loss. What finally nudged the scale was splitting my 10k into two or three shorter walks, especially one 20-minute easy loop after dinner. It didn’t spike my hunger like harder cardio did. Are you doing your steps all at once? That timing change was the only variable for me.
I track a 7-day rolling average, not daily, because my scale loves to troll me. Last plateau: 19 days flat at 181.6, waist -0.4", then a 1.8 lb drop over five days with zero changes. When I did add cardio, 20 min incline walking on two non-lifting days moved my weekly trend more than an extra 10k-step day, but n=1. What's your 7-day average slope over the last 3 weeks? If it's still -0.1 to -0.2 lb/week, I'd hold and trust the tape. If it's 0.0, that's different data.
I’d check weekends before dropping calories. My last 3-week stall was perfect weekdays and then two days of “just a bite” of my kids’ pancakes, handfuls from the snack drawer, and a couple drinks. I started making myself a pre-portioned snack box—cheese stick, turkey, grapes, nuts—so I’m not grazing off their plates at 5 p.m. Waist down half an inch means something’s still changing. If lifts are holding, I’d keep calories steady another 2 weeks and add a 10-minute walk after dinner instead of hard cardio. Are your weekends tracked as tightly as weekdays?
22 lb in 12 weeks is no joke—congrats. Before dropping calories, I’d peek at two things: Are your main lifts still adding weight/reps, and are you eating back exercise calories? When my scale stalled, I was “earning” my 10k steps and lifting burn, then wondering why 1800 wasn’t a deficit. I stopped adding workout calories and instead did two 20-min incline walks on non-lifting days. Waist kept moving even when scale didn’t. What’s your lifting log showing—progress or flat?
I've had flat stretches like this; my waist kept shrinking while the scale pouted, then it caught up. Hang in.
I hit the same wall around 185. Scale locked, but my squat kept adding reps and my shirts got looser. Are your lifts still progressing? If yes, I’d treat that flat number as lagging water/recomp and not touch the deficit yet. What eventually moved me was adding two easy 20-minute incline walks ater lifting, not killing myself with cardio. If your lifts are stalling too, then I’d take 100-150 cals off carbs first and keep protein high. Check the gym log before the scale.
Cafe owner here too — my stall at almost the same spot wasn’t the scale, it was the “quality control” bites. A bite of scone, spoon of frosting, finishing a messed-up latte, tasting soup for salt. None felt like eating. I started using a tiny tasting cup and logging a flat 150 cal “cafe tax” per shift, and the scale moved again. Waist down another half inch is a win, so I wouldn’t slash calories yet. Quick q: are you tracking the little tastes and sips, or just actual meals? That’s where I’d look before adding cardio.
Before changing anything, compare your last 21 days of lifting volume to the prior 21. I track sets × reps × load in a column; whenever mine jumps more than ~10%, my scale sits flat for 2–3 weeks at identical calories. If your volume is flat, then pick one lever: trim ~100 cal from the meal that doesn’t touch satiety, or add 2×20 min zone 2. Not both. What does your log say—has your volume actually crept up while you’ve been stuck?
Hi! Brand-new here (week one, mostly lurking and learning), but your post caught my eye. Congrats on 22 lb and the waist change—that’s huge. One thing I didn’t see mentioned: have you changed your lifting lately, like added weight, reps, or a new exercise? Every time I start pushing squats or deadlifts again, my scale parks for
My spreadsheet calls that recomp, not a stall—flat
Been there—my scale stalled while my jeans got looser. Trust the
That waist half-inch is the real win—scale is just lagging. Sharp question: are you eating back your lifting or step calories without realizing it? “I earned this” snacks can quietly erase a deficit. I’d hold calories steady another 10–14 days and add a 15-min easy walk after dinner instead of harder cardio. Also, how’s your protein and sleep? Those two stall me more than anything. What does a typical weekday dinner look like for you?
Waist down = you're recomposing. I'd trust the tape over the scale here.
The waist going down while the scale sulks is such a mind game—I’d hold steady another week or two.
Login to reply to this thread.
Login / Sign up